New Gun in the Works.

This is a discussion on New Gun in the Works. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; But not for me. Well, after repeated prodding of the wife to carry more often than she has been, she finally said that her G19 ...

Thread: New Gun in the Works.

New Gun in the Works.

But not for me.

Well, after repeated prodding of the wife to carry more often than she has been, she finally said that her G19 is too heavy and cumberson to carry every day.

So today we went out and looked at some light weight revolvers. This is what I tried to steer her to in the begining, but let her choose her Glock. She still loves her 19 but due to the weight and size has choosen not to carry but a few times a month.

Anyway, she found a Charter Arms pink something or other in 38 SP maybe +P, and she looked at a couple of S&W's. Originally when looking at the light weight revolvers she liked the Taurus better than the S&W, but they didn't have any at either of the shops we stopped at today. I called the client that has a shop about 30 miles from here and he said he was out of town until Friday night, so it looks like on Saturday we will have to make a trip to his shop. He said he had a 442, and a 642 in stock along with a CA or two and a SP101, but since it is heavier than the G19, I am sure that won't be the one.

So far she said she likes the 642 the best and hope that she ends up picking that one. At this point, I am not going to be picky if she will finally decided to carry more often, like every day would be good.

I hope that on Saturday afternoon we will be in the market for a new piece of leather for a little S&W 642.

Anyone have any other suggestions right now with the limited market that would be better than the 642, and very easy to come by? I don't know if the ones he has have the lock or not, I honestly am not that worried about it at this point.

Appreciate any input you all have.
    Last edited by farronwolf; May 13th, 2009 at 10:01 PM.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

2. Remove Ads

Aint nothin better than a 637 or 642.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

S&W 637, 642, Glock-26, whatever...any of them can work, if SHE picks it out...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The 642 is what my G/F chose, but she certainly prefers to shoot the G19. Recoil on those Airweights can be brutal.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

My wife has the Rossi 642 and a Keltec P11. I picked em out but she does indeed like them both.

The Charter Arms is a nice gun. If she likes it, great. If she'll carry it, better.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

I'm a 642 fan. Even like shooting the thing. Sunday, after shooting a few hundred 45(s) through my DW CBOB, and Glock 30sf, then a hundred 40(s) through my Glock 27 I grabbed the little 642 and was only going to shoot a few but ended up going through 60-70 rounds. Surprized myself with my accuracy. Better than usual. Now waiting for Esmeralda to post some checkered Cocobolas to dress the little fella up. It sure rides well on the hip. Or in the pocket. Just a gem of a revolver.

I think that 642 is the way to go.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I have no worthwhile advice, I'm just impressed/jealous that you can get her to carry at all. My wife lives in a bubble.

IMO a no lock 442 is the way to go.

Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

A little snubby airweight should do the trick, but see if she can shoot a few rounds before you buy it. Good luck.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

She has already shot a 638 before she got her license and did ok with it. She much prefers her GP100 but that is way to big for daily carry. My whole purpose it to get something on her daily.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    NRA Instructor

My wife didn't have a problem with the recoil from my 642, it was the long, heavy trigger pull that gave her problems.

Let her pick it out, or you'll be back the same problem as with the G19. If she is not comfortable with it, she WON'T carry it. But, keep in mind, a snubby is going to require lots of practice. It is not an easy gun to just pick up and shoot well.
    If you are not in rush to buy another gun, check out the Taurus 709 SLIM, a new gun for them. My wife is eagerly awaiting their arrival at our local gun shop, after seeing them at the SHOT SHOW. A very nice small gun in 9mm.

She did pick out the G19, and loves the gun, but doesn't like the weight and size of it for daily carry.

The fact she won't carry a larger, heavier gun is what I am looking for her to overcome.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I'd say that if she like the glock, go with another glock. Look at the G26, that way there should not be much of a transition. She will already be familiar with the functionality, basic takedown, grip angle, etc.

It just makes sense to me.
    ‘‘The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.’’ — James Earl Jones, Actor

Links