1911 Clarification

This is a discussion on 1911 Clarification within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey fellas, I am interested in saving up for a new 1911 pistol and am excited to pick my first. This gun will be used ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1911 Clarification

Senior Member Array McPatrickClan's Avatar

1911 Clarification

Hey fellas, I am interested in saving up for a new 1911 pistol and am excited to pick my first. This gun will be used in my regular carry rotation and thus will be subjected to some IDPA practice as well as range time.

Here's what I am seeing as the two big "camps" for me to pick from:

9MM 1911s: Kimber Aegis, Springfield EMP, etc.
    *These guns seem to be popular because of the more affordable and easier to shoot cartridge, their small size makes them easier to conceal for many people. The negatives are expensive, proprietary parts, difficult to obtain mags, etc.

"STANDARD" .45 1911s: Pretty much everyone makes one (I am thinking about the SA Mil-Spec in stainless)
    *These guns are the "original" design, so without a chopped barrel, they run very well (assuming you get a 5" one), the holsters, magazines, grips, parts, etc. are everywhere and relatively affordable. The downside is shopping for .45 ammo (hard to find & expensive) as well as some concealment issues for some people.

OK, I just want to make sure I understand what I am getting into when I choose from one of those two camps. Am I right on with what I wrote?

2. Remove Ads

I prefer the .45 caliber in a 1911 platform, that's what it was designed for...I'd stay with it, but that's me.

Either would probably work, but I would not base my purchase, on a gun you will probably have a long time, on the cost/availablility of .45 ammo during this 'period of drought'.

Just about the time you go the 9mm route, its costs will become more expensive than .45...Murphy's Law says so. OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Lead Moderator
    Another factor some consider is the weight of a full sized 1911 may be a bit on the heavy side.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    I like the .45, but not the 1911
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

The 9mm Aegis or EMP are both excellent CC guns. I am incapable of comfortably carrying a FS 1911 so I went up the middle and got the ProCarry 4" version to minimize length and maximize power. It becomes a very personal choice for YOU individually though. Comfort VS capacity VS caliber.
    2A is not negotiable

I have both the full sized and the compact 1911, and the weight of either is a bit on the heavy side. Not uncomfortably heavy but you know it is there. I use a Beltman belt and a Crossbreed SuperTuck so it is comfortable enough for carry.

Senior Member Array McPatrickClan's Avatar
    What about the mags, parts, etc.? Am I correct that they are considerably less expensive for the "standard" 1911s?

Go .45 and don't look back! The 9mms have had their fair share of issues as this platform was designed for .45. If you are going to buy a legend...at least go with the caliber that it was meant to shoot!

Personally I feel that Smith and Wesson is the best bang for the buck with the 1911 platform. Regaurdless of brand, save up for the one you want and don't jump the "gun" on the purchase (sorry, pun intended...I could not resist).
    Pray for our nations leaders!

The 1911 is meant to be a 45 ACP (at least John Browning thought so) plus that is a good caliber all the way around and I have nothing against the 9mm. 45 ACP ball/FMJ ammo is very reasonably priced, normally, so shooting 100 rounds at IDPA isn't going to cost you much more at all than 9mm unless you are in a bind. I carry a Kimber Tactical Ultra II and it is extremely accurate and totally reliable even with the 3" barrel. At 25 ounces (empty) it is easy to carry and doesn't cause any back strain for me and I've had an L4-L5 laminectomy. No problem hiding it under a loose buttondown shirt with the tails untucked either.

I pick my calibers based on my comfort level with using it to save me and my family from a preditor so that drives my decision more than ammo price. If I thought that 454 Casull or 500 Linebaugh was what I needed for protection, I wouldn't care about the ammo price.
    SE Texas Patriot Guard Rider, NRA Patron, TSRA Life Member

I originally carried a Glock 19 and recently switched to a Kimber Ultra CDP II -- I also own the Classic (5") CDP II -- I highly recommend this style of weapon, the .45 in general, and the Kimbers as a brand choice.

b
    NRA Life Member | NRA & MADFI Instructor | Blog | Twitter | Facebook
    My views are my own - they may or may not reflect those of my employer.

Well to me, a true 1911 is .45 cal. The 9mm is a "1911 type" pistol.
    Having said that, go with the one that you are most comfortable with and that you can shoot the most accurately.
    NRA life member.

I can find 45ACP ammo but not 9MM.

Nothing feels as solid to me as a full size full steel .45 1911. Don't play around with those plastic toy guns some of the other people carry (I'm joking. I'M JOKING! )
    Do whatever floats your boat, but don't dare to try and sink mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolling Oaks View Post
    Nothing feels as solid to me as a full size full steel .45 1911. Don't play around with those plastic toy guns some of the other people carry (I'm joking. I'M JOKING! )
    What? You don't like Tuperware parties?
    NRA life member.

The .45 Cal puts a stop to it NOW and not in 5 minutes.

My ideal set up is either my Gov't Model 1911 or my Combat Commander both in .45.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links