45 gap ????

45 gap ????

This is a discussion on 45 gap ???? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I bought a 45 GAP today in a model G39...anybody else carrying a GAP or did I make a GAP in judgement??? Thanks Robbie...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 45 gap ????

45 gap ????

I bought a 45 GAP today in a model G39...anybody else carrying a GAP or did I make a GAP in judgement??? Thanks Robbie

....ive never met any one who owned one....or wanted one.

Sounds like a bridge between 9 and 45 that no one wanted.

though if YOU like it, thats whats important.
    Μολὼν λάβε

I dont see the point..

Anyone who goes Glock has not made a " Gap" in judgement. Im not a 45 man, so exactly whats the diffrence between 45 acp and 45 gap?
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

I bought an XD in GAP for a good price. Everyone who mocks me, I tell them a.45 caliber hole is still a .45 caliber hole. Personally, I love all the calibers and have owned many over the years. For me, 99% of the fun is pulling the trigger. The other 1% is getting it where I want it on the paper target. I have lots of 99% fun!!! Don't get caught up in caliber wars. Spend more time behind the trigger. jh

Quote Originally Posted by jhh3rd View Post
    I bought an XD in GAP for a good price. Everyone who mocks me, I tell them a.45 caliber hole is still a .45 caliber hole. Personally, I love all the calibers and have owned many over the years. For me, 99% of the fun is pulling the trigger. The other 1% is getting it where I want it on the paper target. I have lots of 99% fun!!! Don't get caught up in caliber wars. Spend more time behind the trigger. jh
    DIDOS
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wormy View Post
    Anyone who goes Glock has not made a " Gap" in judgement. Im not a 45 man, so exactly whats the diffrence between 45 acp and 45 gap?
    While the .45 GAP uses a .45 caliber bullet, the shell casing is shorter than the .45 ACP casing.

VIP Member
    I personally wouldn't buy the .45 GAP. It has no advantage over the .45 ACP, however there is a definite disadvantage is availability of ammo for it, both practice and SD rounds.

I don't really see where the .45 GAP is necessary but if given one, I'd happily hand load for it and shoot it, not worrying whether it fills a true need nor if it descends into obsolescence.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I like it because it is a 45 with a smaller frame...I don't have real big hands...I'm having an easier time finding GAP ammo than ACP right now..plus I got it cheap....

As long as you got it in a Glock you are good to go.

There are maybe 2 other companies that chamber decent pistols for the round. (Backwards?) Nobody does it right in any platform I've seen yet, esp/including the 1911.

Maybe in a few years you'll get more out of it...Platform wise.

Performance wise it's the same as .45ACP in a smaller package. And that's it.
    "Words can be as lethal as bullets; Choose them carefully, Aim them well & Use them sparingly."

Congratulations. I have heard that they are tack drivers...very accurate. The only drawback is ammo availability and price. But still an awesome purchase. Good luck. I'd like to get a G38 myself.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wormy View Post
    As others have explained it's a .45 with a slightly shorter shell casing. It stands for 45 Glock Automatic Pistol. It was basically a solution looking for a problem.

Availability will be a common problem. It's not exactly a popular round.

Glock 38 (the compact version) was one of my favorite pistols. I no longer own it due to the scarcity of ammo where I live and shop. What most people don't understand is that the ballistics match and sometimes exceed 45 ACP in a short barrelled weapon. You can still have the 230 gr. bullets if you so desire. The grip frame can be reduced in size to fit the hand better and it's just better, modern engineering. This load is no compromise -it's the real deal and it needs to gain popularity in the modern CCW era.

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    "Solution looking for a problem"

If you want a Glock in 45 with the same grip as a 9/40 then the 45 GAP is the solution.

The Springfield XD 45 (I like it too) has a grip as small as the Glock 9/40, and it's 45 acp, but it's not a Glock.

I have a 38 & 39 and I like them both. I like the 38 a little better than the 23 (40) or 32 (357 Sig); although I like the others just fine, the regular grip / bigger bore of the 45 GAP has appeal.

I think everyone who likes Glocks should buy at least one Glock in 45 GAP out of respect and as a gesture of thanks for for "Glock perfection".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links