Graduation Present - Want Some Input!

This is a discussion on Graduation Present - Want Some Input! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; While graduation is a few semesters off, I was let in on a hint of my graduation present. And by hint I mean told. lol. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

While graduation is a few semesters off, I was let in on a hint of my graduation present. And by hint I mean told. lol. The reason I was told was so that I could provide the exact make, model, etc. of my dream one.

*drum roll please*

Looks like my graduation present will be a 1911 of my choice. (I was also told price is not a issue thus far)

So far I am thinking a Kimber of some sort. And due to my long time love of 1911s, I am also considering making it my EDC weapon after graduation.

With all of this in mind, I thought this would be a great topic to bring up to get some good opinions regarding which 1911, as well as, important extra features to choose.

What are your favorite 1911s and which would you recommend? Which ones do you own and/or use for EDC? (feel free to post some pics of those beauties!)

As always, all opinions/recommendations are appreciated!
    "No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
    -Thomas Jefferson-

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I carried 1911s daily from 1997 to 2002, for police duty and CC. I actually started using 1911s for serious purposes in the 1980's, so have quite a bit of time with them.

Kimber is very successful at advertising/marketing, and obviously, enough Kimbers work well enough, but all three of mine required parts replacement. I don't like project guns, unless I plan to build a "parts gun" in the first place.

I had good luck with Colt Government Models; both of mine were Series 80, one blued and one stainless steel. I had good luck with a full-sized Springfield Armory, Inc. 1911. I did keep my best 1911, a Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special. The way Les Baers are sculpted at the junction of the trigger guard and front strap, makes all other 1911s feel strange to me now.

I must now use certain "approved" double-action .40 autopistols on duty, and choose to generally use them off the clock as well, with my choice being the SIG P229. I don't currently "EDC" a 1911, but may do so again someday.

If price is not a concern, maybe a les bauer as said above. Or a nice wilson or nighthawk custom.
    "Anyone worth shooting, is probably worth shooting several times."

I own a Kimber Classic CDP II and a Kimber Ultra CDP II -- the Ultra is my EDC firearm due to its size.. the Classic is what prefer to shoot.

Highly accurate, but tempermental.

I think highly of the Colts, the Wilsons, the Nighthawks, and others. Pick something you're comfortable with and go from there.

b
    NRA Life Member | NRA & MADFI Instructor | Blog | Twitter | Facebook
    My views are my own - they may or may not reflect those of my employer.

My dream is a Springfield Professional. Very non-flash...but all business tack driver. The Wilsons, Baers, Etc. all have nice stuff and it is simply a matter of personal taste. Check out the stuff at Springfield. I think they are one of themost overlooked brands out there. Hey maybe if they save enough money they may spring for a good holster and belt.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

If price is no concern, I'd be all over an Ed Brown. And congrats on your upcoming graduation.

very nice! I have a similar deal with my dad. Consider a colt commander with some work done to it like some new sights and a trigger, hard chrome it, what ever you like.
    Μολὼν λάβε

go with a 4'' Kimber SIS
    U/315
    KY Concealed Carry Instructor
    Taser X2/X26 Instructor
    "It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…." Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    I carry a Kimber Custom TLE II, it is full size no problems with concealment or function.

Congrats on the graduation!!

also look at nighthawk custom, great weapons
    U/315
    KY Concealed Carry Instructor
    Taser X2/X26 Instructor
    "It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…." Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

I'll put my billiards on the chopping block here, but I've been drooling over a Nighthawk LadyHawk for a while now.

go with a 4'' Kimber SIS
    +1 on that! I forgot about the SIS
    2A is not negotiable

If cost REALLY wasn't an issue, I would have a full-custom Cold done by Ted Yost, CT Brian or Stan Chen, but you're looking at $5K+ and a two to three year wait. If you wanted something that's more in the $2-3K range I would look at Les Baer, Nighthawk, Wilson or Ed Brown and all of these should be available with fairly short waits (a month or two).

I jump around a bit between wanting a Nighthawk, Ed Brown and a Wilson. The Bill Wilson Carry Pistol is my current pick -

Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

I would definitely get a Kimber...unless price was no concern. Then it would be an ED Brown Kobra Carry.

http://www.edbrown.com/cgi-bin/htmlo...15534511388611

Oh yeah!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links