You know what they say about the Devil. - Page 2

You know what they say about the Devil.

This is a discussion on You know what they say about the Devil. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Euc, man, look at gun ownership like legalized polygamie, and you get to make all the choices. Sooner or later you need to find a ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: You know what they say about the Devil.

Euc, man, look at gun ownership like legalized polygamie, and you get to make all the choices. Sooner or later you need to find a Miss TX that can cook and clean, not just the Berthas.

Sorry, even the baby-turd green Glocks are more attractive!

Rob that made no sense whatsoever but it still made me laugh.

Yeah XDs are ugly as sin, but they work...

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72
    Euc, man, look at gun ownership like legalized polygamie, and you get to make all the choices. Sooner or later you need to find a Miss TX that can cook and clean, not just the Berthas.

Sorry, even the baby-turd green Glocks are more attractive!

I've managed to put a few rounds through a 4" XD 9mm. I liked it but I'm more accurate with my GLOCK 26. As far as my pinky not being on the grip, I'm indifferent. I can shoot it well (better than the 4" XD) and I hate the Pierce extensions. They work fine but I feel kind of cramped.

now that I've had about 30 minutes to really fondle it and dryfire it and all that (things you can't politely do in a gunstore)
    You, sir, need a better gunstore.

I let customers dry fire anything they'd like, as long as it's not a new revolver or something that can be damaged by the process (some rimfires, etc).

Amazingly, the serious repeat customers in the area seem to come by the shop here regularly and I see 'em buying more from us than anyone else.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs
    no worrys bud , its allways trading material to a real gun ( a sig or a 1911 ) lol

good one.....

I was thinkin the same thing....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Quote Originally Posted by rfurtkamp
    You, sir, need a better gunstore.
    Oh you got that right buddy... my local guy who isn't a numnuts is still in the process of trying to open an actual storefront, but health issues and paperwork are getting in the way.

One local outfit here would be horrified if you dryfired one of their precious babies for sale, and another outfit is a bunch of elitist mall ninjas... I swear these guys talk "craptical" all the time and everything they carry is a Glock, an HK, or looks like a Glock or an HK. The rest put those stupid trigger locks on everything.

Amazingly the best people to buy from are a local hole in the wall pawnshop. They'll let me take things apart and everything.

I always ask permission before I dry fire, just out of politeness. If they say no, it's no big deal ... I just don't buy anything there. When I bought my used Mil-Spec I asked if I could do a safety/function check and after it passed that I asked if I could field strip it. The clerk seemed a little surprised when I pulled my mini-maglite with attached FO bore light outta the range bag - don't we ALL carry those? In the end, they gave me a good deal on my 66 and I brought the SA home.

Euc:
    I'm actually sorta surprised you don't have an exact duplicate of your favorite XD - whichever one that may be. I know they're similar enough to pass but there's something to be said for having an exact copy should something happen to your primary. My own plan is to put another Mil-Spec on layaway and have it mod'ed to match this one (might use a SS extractor just so I can tell 'em apart).
    Jack

Mac: I'm seriously thinking about it. I miss having two of my primary gun.

BTW, which one IS your favorite? Have you figured it out yet? I know they're all fine weapons but is there one that floats your boat more than the others?
    Jack

Right now the one with the longest track record is the .40, but the .45 ACP has eclipsed it for overall favorite because it's just ever so slightly larger in all the right places, making it more comfortable to shoot.

I've shot the XD9 service despite not having one, and it's nice, but I still like the .45 better. The XD9 and XD40 are both about the same to me personally.

The .40 still has its uses... its slightly smaller grip makes tucked carry more palpable. I often remark how slim the .45 is, but the fact is it's slim for a .45... the .40 is of course just slightly smaller which lends itself to this type of thing. The .40 will also fit in some of my large garment pockets where the .45 won't.

I'm carrying the .45 ACP as much as possible, but the one that's with me the most is still the .40 S&W. A lot of that is because of a lack of spare mags for the .45, I just can't get them.

I understand the lack of mags being frustrating, hang in there they should be available soon. The mags hold 13, correct? I assume you want to carry 13+1 and two reloads? Personally I'd feel comfortable with one hicap reload but I know lots of folks aren't.

Would definitely suck hitting the range with only two mags though, I keep at least 5 dedicated range mags for the 1911 in my bag and would like to double that. Still need at least one more for carry too.
    Jack

Well in all honesty I only "need" three mags to consider the pistol functional... one in the gun, one for the reload, and one in case the first two screw up.

But I plan to order at least six once someone will sell them to me.

The mags were supposed to be available already, now they tell us late this month.

The BEST part is, they've come out with a SECOND XD 45 model (the 5" Tactical) BEFORE getting magazines out for it... Genius.

I'll say it again... I've never been so happy with and so pissed at a gun company at the same time in my life.

Crude range report.

I didn't have a lot of time but I did put one box of WWB and some UMC through it, nothing fancy, 7 and 15 yard targets. Didn't bother to measure group size, was sloppy at 15 yards (my fault not the gun) and fell in a pie plate at 7 yards. This was all offhand unsupported shooting.

No malfunctions of any kind as I've come to expect from most XD pistols.

60%-70% of the shooting was done with the flush magazines (the 10 rounders) as I wished to try them out to see how I handled them. I have purchased a second subcompact magazine so I could practice reloading with them.

I had opportunity to fire rapidly and I did. It barks with authority and it does have a slight upwards kick on the recoil but it's nothing you can't learn to handle with some practice; I felt like I got used to it rather quickly as the upwards recoil vector of the XD40 Service is more severe. I do need more practice with it, the shorter barrel really does make a difference...

I have actually found, now that I've fired it, that the option to use the SC mags and the full size mags with the sleeve is actually kind of nice. The SC mags offer one advantage besides concealability: they are so fast to reload. Their short stubby forms are easy to grab and stuff in the magwell. The full size mags with the sleeve do an excellent job of replicating the feel of the XD service.

In a way this gun makes me want the XD9 Service, but if I'm going to step up to a gun that size I want the .45 ACP version because I just might as well.

I'm coming around to it... while I don't like it for a true BUG and am not about to give up my full sized pistols, I have to admit I can think of a lot of situations a gun like this would permit on body carry of a more substantial gun than the little .38.

I've had three people tell me to get an ankle holster and I think they're crazy. I wouldn't feel comfortable with this thing on my ankle at all.

I have a CTAC coming as I'd like this gun very much for church, weddings, funerals, etc. I've normally pocket carried a small revolver in these settings, but I've been trying to IWB carry an XD and I think this gun/holster combination might be the ticket.

For "goofball" carry I might have Robert Mika whip something up for me just to try it out.

I'm starting to like it for what it is... it seems like a very smart little package. I'm even considering an XML light, just to try it out since I have several XD pistols.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links