You know what they say about the Devil.

This is a discussion on You know what they say about the Devil. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Interesting times tonight... An old friend I don't get to see very often because he lives about 5 hours away happened by. Long story short, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You know what they say about the Devil.

You know what they say about the Devil.

Interesting times tonight...

An old friend I don't get to see very often because he lives about 5 hours away happened by. Long story short, he's not the most dedicated gun owner, and about a month ago without even asking me he bought an XD9SC. The nerve of him to buy a gun without asking me first.

Anyway, he sort of regrets it now, and after we ate I asked him what he was going to do...

Yeah. I know. BAD! BAD!!! You don't need another XD! Bad!

Don't worry about him too much, he plans to replace the gun with something better. I even took him to the safe and showed him everything. I told him not to even think about a gun until he was ready to learn how to use it. And call me first next time, I won't buy your next mistake... unless it's another XD...

Anyway it'll be a while before I get to actually fire it, but I have to admit now that I've had about 30 minutes to really fondle it and dryfire it and all that (things you can't politely do in a gunstore), I have to admit it's a pretty smart little package.

The proof will be in the pudding though, I need to try shooting it with the flush 10 round mag. To be fair, I have discovered that simply folding my pinky underneath it produces a fairly strong hold on the gun. I know the XD platform tames recoil well, so I'm optimistic that 9x19 out of the subcompact will be very controllable. As much as I praise the .40, I think my control will be greater with the 9mm in the shorter gun.

I have a large supply of magazines and the like already, so that's nice, I even have two holsters that fit it, well 4 technically but 2 of them suck.

I am thinking this could be a nice option for special situations. I don't think it's been shot more than 50 times and I'm confident it's never been cleaned.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    no worrys bud , its allways trading material to a real gun ( a sig or a 1911 ) lol

I shoot with my pinky under my subcompact to dont forget you can get the sleeves and fit the 15 rounders in and have fullsize grip

Assistant Administrator
    I had some time with an XD-9 last year Euc and found it a very pleasant platform.

No real need to get one as I am so (now) SIG'ified but I could well imagine having one for carry duty.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Well I am interested really in seeing if I can fire it well with the flush mag... honestly, if you're going to use the grip extension, you might as well go with the XD Service.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    Well I am interested really in seeing if I can fire it well with the flush mag... honestly, if you're going to use the grip extension, you might as well go with the XD Service.
    I don't kow about that. if you get the mag base extension, at least you still lose some grip protrusion.

yeah but for range work reloading 15 rounds is better than 10

Also use the 40 cal mags for the sc and you get 13 in them +1 in pipe

True, the Pearce accessory is interesting too.

Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    True, the Pearce accessory is interesting too.
    pass on them they pop off to easy if bumped uless they changed the design and i didnt like the way they felt

I think I will anyway... sort of messes with the XD's profile.

Yeah, one cool thing is for practice, my XD40 mags will work just fine. I only need a couple of the special SC sized ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    pass on them they pop off to easy if bumped uless they changed the design and i didnt like the way they felt
    Ugh. NOW you tell me.
    I just got 'em and installed 'em. i'll have to mention if I manage to knock 'em off tomorrow.
    יזכר לא עד פעם
    Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am.
    Remember. Never Again.

Looking forward to the range report Euclidean. If Springfield would make a slimmer version of the XD I would look at them a lot harder. As is, they're far too thick to be comfortably concealed by my skinny posterior. I do believe they're nice to shoot though.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I personaly dont understand why everyone gets so eaten up on what thier " pinkie" is doing while shooting , if it hangs off the end well then i guess i am shoing miss manners how to shoot a gun as you drink tea , but other than that it really does not affect my shooting , do i prefer to shoot full grips , yes , would i prefer to carry a short one , again yes i dont loose any accuracy or controalability with a short grip , it just feels funny anyway my thoughts your mileage may well vary ( YMMWV ) lol

Well this is one time where I think it's the anatomy of the individual shooter coming into play. My hands are ever so slightly "screwed up" even though they look normal.

As a teen I suffered a series of minor injuries (that still took me to the ER) to the hands. Amazingly I've yet to have surgery or pain in the hand, but it does have one interesting consequence: I find it very awkward to move my right ring finger without moving my right pinky, etc.

So when I "squeeze" with the middle and ring fingers, I "squeeze" slightly with the pinky too. Since there's nothing to squeeze against, the natural consequence of this is that it's uncomfortable and puts a mild cramp in my hand. My pinky does not like to go unsupported.

Part of it is that I'm sort of clumsy too.

Hey - What a friend! Wish I had one like that........woooo whoooooo...

Hope it shoots good for ya! Keep us posted!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links