What can you tell me about Taurus 1911's?

This is a discussion on What can you tell me about Taurus 1911's? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Are they reliable? Built good? Shoot well? etc. Are they as good as colt gov. models? better? How do they compare to say..para ordinance? Kimber? ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Are they reliable?
    Built good?
    Shoot well?
    etc.

Are they as good as colt gov. models? better?
    How do they compare to say..para ordinance? Kimber? what makes the difference?

I've owned some 1911's before, all colts, but don't really know what makes a good and a bad one.

I can tell you that i would stand by and trust anything made by taurus. As far as being better then the colt, thats a hard one. I know lots of people who will say thats one of the most reliable guns ever built. As far as para and kimber, i have heard far more complaints about them then taurus'. I have owned both, and didnt really like the para at all. The finish was crap and i had a very bad experience with there CS. It showed ALOT of holster wear after just a week of carrying it. Also it was bad for FTE. I loved the way the kimber was built and felt in my hand, but it had a constant FTF. About one every mag. Even after 500 rnds. Lots of people talk about a break in for these guns, as far as im concerned any gun i pay a kimber price for should function flawlessly out of the box. If it doesnt, there are obviously manufacturing problems like taking short-cuts to cut cost and producing an unfinished firearm. Just my .02 Im sure youll get lots of oppinions on this one.
    "Anyone worth shooting, is probably worth shooting several times."

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    I cannot speak for Taurus' 1911's but I can tell you, working in a gun store, Taurus are the only guns we have ever had come back to us for problems/repair. We have had several revolvers and several of the Millennium series auto get shipped back to Taurus Miami for repair.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Fit quality and consistency is poor and Taurus has poor qualiy control on these weapons. Just my opinion but I have found a number of them to be quite sloppy.

I don't feel the Taurus 1911 to be a wise purchase for a self defense weapon but a fine plinker. I also do not feel that it has the qualities that draw me to the 1911 in the first place. Go ahead and flame away, it is simply my experianced opinion.
    Pray for our nations leaders!

I have seen, fired, handled, cleaned and been around many a Taurus gun, though admittedly I have never owned one.

I would recommend against getting a Taurus. It's not that they are terrible guns or that I am branding everthing they make as bad. I have just personally been disappointed by them on more then one occasion. I personally believe the fit and finish is not up to par. I also have had many many malfunctions while using Taurus guns (specifically the semi-autos).

This is just a personal observation and experience, again I am not slamming the brand, just laying what I have seen and been through.

I would highly suggest getting a Springfield 1911 over a Taurus. It is a great gun. I own some Springfields and have never had a malfunction.
    Do whatever floats your boat, but don't dare to try and sink mine.

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolling Oaks View Post
    I have seen, fired, handled, cleaned and been around many a Taurus gun, though admittedly I have never owned one.

I would recommend against getting a Taurus. It's not that they are terrible guns or that I am branding everthing they make as bad. I have just personally been disappointed by them on more then one occasion. I personally believe the fit and finish is not up to par. I also have had many many malfunctions while using Taurus guns (specifically the semi-autos).

This is just a personal observation and experience, again I am not slamming the brand, just laying what I have seen and been through.

I would highly suggest getting a Springfield 1911 over a Taurus. It is a great gun. I own some Springfields and have never had a malfunction.
    +1. I think the pistol is of poor quality on their 1911. Think you would be much happier with a Springer Mil-Spec in the long run. You can add a few extras and have a KA 1911 for a great price that'll give you no problems IF you have any. SA's CS is second to none.

This is one case where you get what you pay for IMO.

Their model 92 is a great shooting 9mm that I owned in the mid 80's. Poor man's Beretta, but it was a shooter. Regret selling it but I since upgraded to a Vertec as my IPSC weapon.

JMO
    Last edited by Sportsterguy; May 16th, 2009 at 03:32 PM. Reason: addition
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

VIP Member
    At their price they are not worth it. A few years ago they could be had for $200 less and then they were a good buy. Now they are in the same price range as a Springfield. I am a Taurus fan from way back but due to high demand their prices are waaaay over inflated. They are just not the value that they were in the past. I would suggest shopping around for a loaded Springfield. They can be had for about the same price if you do your homework.

I can almost here Sixto out there laughing at me...

If you want a great bargain and a good gun try a RIA.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

I agree with atctimmy, check out rock island armory. Their 1911's are supposed to be Colt clones. Everyone I know that has one says they're awesome.
    Protection is a responsibility not just a right.

I bought one a few weeks ago, just for grins. I still prefer my Springfield, but the Taurus seems like a decent pistol for the price. I havent had any trouble with it, but its way too early to pass judgment in that regard. I like that they now come with Novak 3-dot sights; I never liked the old models with the Heinie Straight-Eight sights.

I have had several taurus guns. But the 1911 is the biggest piece of junk i have ever owned. It jammed if the sun was up. It jammed if the sun was down. I sent it to the factory for repair(cost me $45.00 to ship) no contact from them unless I called and every week for 6 weeks they said it would be done next week. So I patiently waited for its return. I got it back and all the paperwork said was they adjusted the barrel?? and replaced the safety?? Keep in mind the finish was coming off(they didn't even address that concern??) When I called and explained it was still jamming they wanted me to send it in again for another 6 week trip. No thanks-I traded it for a sig 220. Yeah it's not as pretty as a 1911 but it doesn't jam and man is that gun awesome. Moral of the story stay away from Taurus 1911. I still have a few taurus revolvers(they are fine). Just remember you get what you pay for and nobody is giving you a 2500 dollar gun for 600. If you believe that I have some ocean front property in ohio i would like to sell you. Also for everyone who disagrees-This was my experience and I learn from factual history not statements like i had a friend that ............

Taurus no way!!!!!!!!!!!!

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    I consider Taurus guns to be on the lower end of the firearms spectrum. Some like them because of the low prices, but fit, finish, build quality and over all reliability is substandard IMO.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Wow, I have a Taurus PT 1911 AR, and it has performed flawlessly, I have put over 1000 rds through it with no issues. Guess for all the negative reviews I been lucky. Also I can shoot a group less than 3 inchs at the 25 yard-line. One issue it is hard to find a holster for the AR with the large rail!

R/S Lego

I had nothing but trouble with my PT1911. Started with a bad firing pin and progressed to a broken ejector, and numerous failures to feed. Traded it in on a Colt XSE and never regretted it. Colt has been 100% reliable out of the box.
    Why do I carry a Gun? Because I can't carry a Cop

Go with Springfield or Rock Island. I have seen more Taurus firearms brought back to the gunshop with problems than all other brands combined. I have even seen some of the revolver's internal locks go into the locked position from just the recoil of shooting them. In my opinion there are better options for close to the same price.
    NRA life member.

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar
    I have had mine for over a year now. No FTF , FTE Shoots factory & Reloads very well. Unbelievably accurate is the one I have. I wish I would have got the blued instead of SS.
    Why Would A Preacher ever need a Gun? Its Not for the Sheep , its for the Wolves!

Springfield Armory Service XD 40
    Taurus PT 1911 45 acp Taurus PT 101, PT 92
    Ruger 22/45 Ruger P95 9mm, Ruger SR9
    Kahr CW 40, Heritage 22, Rossi 38 special

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links