First Gun Help

First Gun Help

This is a discussion on First Gun Help within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I believe I posted a thread similar to this a while back, but the more I read, look around, and do research the more I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Gun Help

First Gun Help

I believe I posted a thread similar to this a while back, but the more I read, look around, and do research the more I can't make up my mind. A few months ago I thought I knew exactly what I wanted, but now I'm a little unsure. Could you give me your thoughts and suggestions on the gus I have mentioned or any that I havn't.

Origonaly I was sold on the Springfield XD9. This is the only gun I have really shot with, but I do like the way it feels in my hand. I have also had some suggestions to look at a sig 229 and a S&W 9mm. I did some more research and they didn't seem too bad either, but I haven't shot them. After doing more research I started to consider 1911's. They also seems pretty good, Springfields and Para-Ordnance are the main brands I've looked at.

The use of the gun will be mainly for self defense. I would like the ability to conceled carry if I want, have in my home, but also some fun at the range. The only two things I am sure on is I do want a 9mm and I do not want a Glock. I have shot a few Glocks and I don't like the way they feel in my hand, so please dont tell me to get a Glock. Thank you very much and I look forward to reading your posts.

VIP Member
    Get a Glock! Sorry, couldn’t resist.~~
    Actually, if a nine’ auto is your sights, I'd consider a Walther PPS. It’s fairly concealable and feels pretty in good in my medium/small hand. Heck, I would trade my super reliable H&K P7 9mm for one right now.
    Regards,
    Last edited by Saber; May 16th, 2009 at 12:13 PM.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Sigs are great.
    Glock 27

"Criminals are a cowardly and superstitious lot."

A good idea would be to go to a range that rents and try as many weapons as you can. Picking a gun is so subjective that only you can or should decide. A great percentage of people will advise you to get the same gun that they have, for obvious reasons. It works for them. You need to find what works for you. Hold them all, shoot as many as you can, don't rush it.

S&W MPC 9mm you can change the back straps to fit your hand
    SIG 250

You don't want a Glock because you've never picked up a Glock-36 (single stack grip)..but we're talking .45, so that won't work for ya' anyway...just had to throw that in...

You can find 9mm in 1911's but there are mixed opinions on that as 1911's were developed for the .45 caliber.

With what you are looking for, I'd head to the gun shop and start handling the Sig line...look at 'em all.

Good luck with your search, and do share your final decision with pics.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Just get the xd9 sub compact. Its the most accurate 3" barrel I have ever shot. At home leave the 16 shot extended grip mag in it. When carrying, use the flush 10 round mag(I think they have a 13 rd now that replaces the 10 rd)..... Thats what I would do. I would actually get a 12 gage for home defense if u dont already have a shotgun.
    Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it ......

Quote Originally Posted by PNUT View Post
    A good idea would be to go to a range that rents and try as many weapons as you can. Picking a gun is so subjective that only you can or should decide. A great percentage of people will advise you to get the same gun that they have, for obvious reasons. It works for them. You need to find what works for you. Hold them all, shoot as many as you can, don't rush it.
    What he said
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by lghovden06 View Post
    The use of the gun will be mainly for self defense. I would like the ability to concealed carry if I want, have in my home, but also some fun at the range. The only two things I am sure on is I do want a 9mm and I do not want a Glock.
    Indecision is a horrible thing, isn't it? Why don't you look into the CZ's? - in particular a CZ 75 Compact or CZ 75D PCR. These two meet every one of your requirements.
    I always aim for the right eye...and I never miss - Goldeneye

Distinguished Member
    1911's tend to be "experts" guns, not the best for beginners. As someone else suggested, Walther PPS, I have a xd-9--good gun, but a little thick. I would only consider DAO autos. M & P's look nice, tons of choices for your considerations. Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

welcome to the gun world where what you think you want constantly changes for some even by the day or even worse by the hour. you didn't say what your price range was but if you're looking @ sigs and 1911's then its up there past mine so i can't really give you any advice up there. I have the XD in .45 and its a great gun the 9mm should be no different in reliability etc. Friend recently picked up the XDm in 9mm and he loves it and carries it too i believe. you can check out the ruger 9mm. haven't fired a SR9 yet but the p series 9mm are excellent for those on a budget or even those that aren't. best thing anyone can tell you is fire as many as you can and then make a decision based off that. good luck and be sure to tell us what you get!

My vote is for the XD.

Heck, just get one of each! They're all good guns!
    "In America, freedom and justice have always come from the ballot box, the jury box, and when that fails, the cartridge box."
    -- Steve Symms, US Senator from Idaho, 1990

Mine is a mp40 .. can't go wrong with any of the MP's in my opinion. The adjustable back straps on the grip are great. Its got good Novak sites. Easy to clean.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    If you like the XD and it shoots well for you, buy it with no regrets. I just picked up an XD9sc as a BUG and I love it. Like you I don't like the "feel" of Glock, though they are fantastic firearms and go bang every time the trigger is pulled.

I like the XD line because I believe that for the money they are the best firearms out there. If you have the moolah for a sig then they are fantastic...my budget doesn't like the price tag though! So if the XD shoots well for you buy it and carry it!
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Kahr p9 or PM9
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links