Need everyones revolver wisdom

This is a discussion on Need everyones revolver wisdom within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A local mom and pop shop got a couple of taurus snubbies in. I have been eyein a S&W 442 but things keep coming up ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need everyones revolver wisdom

A local mom and pop shop got a couple of taurus snubbies in. I have been eyein a S&W 442 but things keep coming up and have to use my saved money.

So they have one of those taurus 9mm revolvers. My question is, is it a pain in the rear to be messing with those stellar clips?

Its in my price range. They also have a taurus 85 in 38spl and one in 357mag that all are pretty much same price.

Any advice would be helpfull.

Chep
    Dont mistake Kindness for Weakness!!!
    Kimber Ultra Carry II
    Kel-Tec PF-9
    Ruger SP 101 2 1/4" 357 mag

If I were you I would stick with the trusty .357 and .38. Nothing wrong with a Taurus. IMO 9mms should be shot in an autoloading pistol.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

I use a S&W 640 as a carry gun; safe, dependable, and with practice you get used to the kick. It requires practice to shoot it well.

NRA Life member

GOA member

I carry a Taurus snubby in the 38SPL. Haven't had any problems, easy to carry and easy to conceal. I agree, stick with the 38 or 357.

I've owned and shot Smith & Wesson and Colt Model 1917 .45 ACP revolvers for 30 years now and have never really enjoyed using them with moon clips. Loading and unloading the clips are an extra nuisance that I can live without, even with proper case removal tools.

I've enjoyed using these .45 revolvers with the .45 Auto Rim case with its thick rim, the use of which makes the '17s like conventional revolvers. The .45 ACP revolver shooter can have the best of both worlds because he can practice and plink with .45 Auto Rim round yet carry .45 ACP cartridges snapped into moon clips for quick reloads.

That's important if one anticipates the need to reload a revolver rapidly. The moon clips may be dropped into the revolver's cylinder within a whisker of the speed of a practiced shooter using a conventional revolver with speed loaders. If I'm running the speed loader I'll be slower than I will with moon clips in my '17 .45 revolvers.

The only thing limiting about a 9mm revolver is that one doesn't have the option to use a similarly configured 9mm cartridge featuring a thick rim to take up the headspace normally filled by the use of standard 9mm cases and the clip.

I don't always know what is on the cutting edge of the handgun market and a manufacturer may have had the brilliant idea to fill the need of a thick rimmed 9mm case with the case dimensions and internal configuration of a standard 9mm Luger case.

If they haven't they ought to do so. There's long been an interest in 9mm revolvers and the notion of clipped 9mm ammunition for rapid reloads is a valid one. Sales of 9mm revolvers would likely increase if the interested 9mm shooter knew he could have the convenience of thick-rimmed 9mm cartridges for range use and the flexibility and motion efficiency of employing conventional 9mm Luger ammunition in moon clips for concealed carry.

Such an arrangement would be the 9mm version of the .45 ACP revolver, a handgun in which users have long enjoyed the ability to also employ the .45 Auto Rim case. Such a 9mm revolver and ammunition set-up would probably put a dent into sales of .38 Special guns in future.

At least for everyone else but old geezers like me. I still really like ol' .38 Special which can "walk and talk" better than 9mm ballistics with judicious hand loading.

My Colt and Smith & Wesson Model 1917 .45 ACP revolvers and a selection of .45 ACP and .45 Auto Rim ammunition along with the half-moon and moon clips. Note the thick rims on the brass .45 Auto Rim cases in the photo compared to the nickel plated .45 ACP cases. It'd be easy for a manufacturer to produce a 9mm cartridge with the concept of a thick rim if demand warranted it. If the resulting cartridge wasn't pricier than .38 Special ammunition then the 9mm revolver might cut into .38 Special revolver sales.
    Last edited by bmcgilvray; May 16th, 2009 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Addition of photo
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I like the 9mm revolvers...just because Ilike something different than the next guy. But the 38 just makes more sense overall. I personally would save my money for the Smith though. They are considered one of the best snubbies for a reason.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    I like the 9mm revolvers...just because Ilike something different than the next guy. But the 38 just makes more sense overall. I personally would save my money for the Smith though. They are considered one of the best snubbies for a reason.
    I'd save for the S&W. You won't be dissapointed. Much higher quality revolver, but if money is an issue the Taurus will get the job done.
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

I have a Taurus 38 Ultralite. I like it & I've never had a problem w/ it.
    I have been trying to do a little research on the moonclips, wondering if I could have my 38 milled to accept them, & how much it might cost. Thanks for the info bmcgilvray.
    Do you have any helpful links about using moonclips on different revolvers?

I will take the 9mm anytime

I have both the 38 spl and the 9mm taurus. I would take the 9mm anytime over the 38.

It has more speed, reloads quicker. more power and less recoil.

steve

Go with the 357 Magnum revolver! Versatility with shooting 38 Special andammo 38 Special +P ammo, and no added hassle of the moonclips.

You might never choose to carry loaded with 357 Magnum, but they sure are fun to shoot at the range! And who knows --- you might go backpacking and keep it loaded with 357 Magnum in case you come across a bear!

I too vote for .357 especially if this is your only carry revolver. Personally I like Taurus just fine, but many do not. Lots of gun shops will say taurus' are returned more often than any others for repairs, but I think some of that may just be implanted into their minds. I own a taurus revolver, no problems with either, other family members own taurus', supervisor has a taurus auto, no problems with any of them. As with any gun do a look over, check lock-up, timing, etc. before you buy.

S&W all the way in a revolver. I own 4 and they are great.

Quote Originally Posted by magictag View Post
    Go with the 357 Magnum revolver! Versatility with shooting 38 Special andammo 38 Special +P ammo, and no added hassle of the moonclips.
    I agree... Go with the 357

You might never choose to carry loaded with 357 Magnum, but they sure are fun to shoot at the range! And who knows --- you might go backpacking and keep it loaded with 357 Magnum in case you come across a bear!
    When I carry the revolver its loaded with Hornady .357mag HP's wouldnt have a problem carrying the .38's either.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

go with the .357 - you can always bump down to .38

I know that has been said many times already - just one more vote!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

I would stay with the 38 sp or the 357 personally over the 9mm. Revolvers were designed for those types of cartridges. As far as the 357 or the 38, well that would depend on which brand you end up getting. If you get a Taurus then I would probably go with the 357. If you can save up for the 442, it would be great.

In a snub nose the 357 may be a handful to shoot. I am not aware of any, but surely someone out there has done some ballistic comparisons between the 2 inch revolvers shooting 357 and 38 +P ammo. It would be interesting to see if there is any substantial difference between the two.

I found one.

http://www.snubnose.info/docs/38-snub_vs_357-snub.htm
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links