What do you think?

What do you think?

This is a discussion on What do you think? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok what a great day! I finally got my Glock 23 today. Now I have to make a decision, what do I use as my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What do you think?

Ok what a great day! I finally got my Glock 23 today. Now I have to make a decision, what do I use as my primary carry the G23 or my XD 45? I will be heading to the range first thing in the morning to fire the Glock, and I am hopping that helps me make my decision, I also am going to replace the factory sight on my Glock so if anyone has any recommendation I am all ears.

R/S Lego

thd XD 45 would probably be easier to conceal in my opinion if you are going to conceal.
    "When you have to shoot, Shoot! Don't talk."

JD
    Administrator
    Which ever you shoot better. As I'm at a loss for exactly which XD 45 you have, I can't give any better info. If it's a XD 45 Tactical, odds are you'll have better dealings concealing the Glock 23.

XD 45 Tactical

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Which ever you shoot better. As I'm at a loss for exactly which XD 45 you have, I can't give any better info. If it's a XD 45 Tactical, odds are you'll have better dealings concealing the Glock 23.
    You are correct it is the tactical with the longer barrel. The Glock is smaller. But the XD has a sweet trigger pull and I can shoot a good group consistently.

R/S Lego

Grats on the gun! Maybe continue to carry the XD while you learn the Glock at the range and get your new sights on. You may also consider having a 'smith adjust the trigger on the Glock so it can be "sweet" too.
    Glock 27

"Criminals are a cowardly and superstitious lot."

But I have found that shooting skills are key to accuracy, and that most handguns are much more mechanically accurate than any human. So I am confident I will be able to shoot a good group with the Glock.

R/S Lego

JD
    Administrator
    If you shoot the Glock just as well as the XD, I would carry the smaller gun that holds the same number of rounds.

Size is a good Point

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    If you shoot the Glock just as well as the XD, I would carry the smaller gun that holds the same number of rounds.
    Thanks, that is what I am looking for PROS & CONS, any recommendation on a holster for the G23, what about replacement sights?

R/S Lego

JD
    Administrator
    Well....

I'm partial to Heinie or XS Big Dot sights and IWBs from Milt Sparks (Versa Max II) or HBE (COM III) If you're looking for a tuckable IWB, I'd suggest the M-TAC from Comp-Tac.

There are many options for each, it all depends on what you like. Eventually the slide of my XDM is going to be sent to Heinie for a tritium front sight and a ledge rear sight. The XS Big Dot sights are neat, but not for every body and would be different from what you have on the XD, and I'm a fan for trying to keep my guns somewhat similarly equipped.

While I do like the XD trigger better than the Glock, once you get used to it the Glock trigger is fine, it just takes some range time. While I'm a fan of full size guns, the G23 will clear the holster faster than the XD Tac. One of the reasons I went with the "M" was that is was in-between 5" and 4" and holds more than twice the ammo as my previous 5" carry gun. As the ammo capacity of the two guns you've got is the same, that's not an issue, however you may not like the way the .40 shoots BUT if that's the case I strongly recommend getting a 9mm conversion barrel and trying it as a G23->G19 conversion and see if you like it better before selling it.

The G23/19 is probably one of the most perfectly sized guns for carry.

The XD will have a longer sight radius along with the longer barrel which improves mechanical accuracy, but as you said above, it's hard to shoot to any guns potential.

Ammo cost is about the same, but I'm seeing more .40 on the shelves right now than .45.

Mags for both are plentiful.

Either way I don't think you could go wrong, but the XD 45 Tactical is a big honkin' pistol and last time I checked AL gets hot in the summer and you will probably have an easier time concealing the G23 in the summer heat. That being said, I still manage to conceal a full size gun in the summer, it's just a question of what you shoot better and what suits your needs better.

JD

Thanks, great advice!

R/S Lego

I would go with whatever you shoot thebest and feel most comfortable with. You need a gun you can manipulate without any thought when things get serious. As for size, you can canceal anything. You could probably conceal a tank and the sheep wouldn't realize it. Also, Tucker gunleather has some great holster options with create quality. Good luck.
    EDC: Glock 30 IWB Tucker Gunleather - Silent Thunder
    Ruger LCP - BUG in front or back pocket

"In God we trust, everyone else keep your hands where I can see them!"

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    I am a fan of both the XD and Glock. I have an XD 45 Compact and just love it. It was my daily carry for a couple of years. It now is my bedside pistol. I also have a Glock 22 and 27. I have chosen to carry the Glock 27 daily. Either choice will be a good one.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

I carry my G23 in an HBE Com III...I love it. Very comfortable. I have Meprolight 3 dots on mine but will likely replace them with XS big Dots when they go dim. Try this thread for pics.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...riend-did.html
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Why decide on one or the other? Alternate carry or get a shoulder rig and carry both.
    NRA, IDPA, GSSF & GSSA member
    Certified Glock Armorer

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Mmm, variety is the spice of life, and that's why I have 4 carry options. Carry the XD for now, practice with the Glock, then decide each day which one you want to carry. Weather, dress, location all factor into my daily decision of which one goes with me.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links