PPS, K40 or 1911 IWB?

PPS, K40 or 1911 IWB?

This is a discussion on PPS, K40 or 1911 IWB? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Looking for the best thing humanly possible for the most discrete IWB carry possible. Walther PPS? Kahr K40? Springfield XD40? Officer's or bobtailed Cmdr. 1911? ...

PPS, K40 or 1911 IWB?

Looking for the best thing humanly possible for the most discrete IWB carry possible. Walther PPS? Kahr K40? Springfield XD40? Officer's or bobtailed Cmdr. 1911? Something else. Prolly stick with .40 or .45.
    Thanks for the discussion.
    Freedom of speech does not excuse one from freedom of thought.

Senior Member Array McPatrickClan's Avatar
    Hey there- guess you sold your EMP a few months ago! Wish I could have bought it but had very little discretionary income at the time.

I used to carry a SA XD40 (4" bbl). I found it to be a bit of a brick. It's blocky and not altogether "curvy" if you know what I mean. I carried it OWB in a Don Hume holster or IWB in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. I believe that the SuperTuck was the best holster I have yet to own. Furthermore, while I would not go back to the XD40 for a number of reasons as an EDC, if I had used a better belt, I probably would have been happier.

If you want the absolute best, most undercover thing for carry, I would suggest you look at:

*Seecamp .32 Auto (incredibly discreet pocket carry)
    *S&W 642 (ditto)

If you want a choice between the three you list, I would go with the PPS, if your chief aim is discretion.

I am actually in a similar position and love the PPS, but dislike the feel & controls. Single-stack seems to win the day when it comes to concealment, thus I am in the market for a nice 1911. How can you say no to nearly a century of greatness?

I carry a Kimber Ultra in .45acp using an M-Tac IWB... VERY comfortable

Quote Originally Posted by Air,Land&Sea View Post
    Looking for the best thing humanly possible for the most discrete IWB carry possible. Walther PPS? Kahr K40? Springfield XD40? Officer's or bobtailed Cmdr. 1911? Something else. Prolly stick with .40 or .45.
    Thanks for the discussion.
    Of those you've listed I would go with the PPS.

You have different platforms to select from, and I would avoid that if possible. I would urge you to pick one platform for a legnth of time and stick with that. I generally carry the same gun platform for two years off duty before making a switch.

That allows me to really get familiar with the platform and have it become "second nature" so to speak. Then, later in life when I reacquaint myself with that platform again it's like picking up an old friend and easy to get familiar with again. I carried platforms multiple times doing this every couple of years over the past twenty years.

Since you listed "discreet ccw" as a primary requirement I'd have to give the nod to the PPS, as I stated before.

Biker

Of those listed I would go with the Kahr. However, you might be interested in the P40. I carry a P9 daily and is very slim and discreet. I would have to agree with McPatrickClan on the Seecamp. I have the LWS .32 and it is pretty much invisible with a pocket carry. All in all I like my Kahr.

If the shorter Officer's size grip of a 1911 (vs the full size grip) fits your hand, it will be very easy to conceal.
    My Kimber Ultra and Compact models both have the shorter grip...both are very easy to conceal.

Of your choices, the full-sized commander grip 'bobbed' should also conceal well.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

...and another vote fo the PPS
    NRA member
    GrassRoots GunRights SC member
    Walther PPS .40 / KelTec P3AT

Administrator
    I'd go with an alloy framed AKA light weight Officers length butt and then carry one full size spare mag. Just my own personal opinion on that.
    The lightweight Commander bobtailed would disappear nicely also.
    The Colt alloy frames are incredibly durable and the gun is easy to shoot accurately.
    Of course...keep in mind that I drink the Colt Kool-Aid so my opinion is somewhat jaded.

Sig 239?? This bad boy is next on my list!!
    You can't go through life being afraid!!

Sig 229 .40, Taurus 605 .357, Keltec P32

Links