Should I keep it?

This is a discussion on Should I keep it? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ever since I owned a Hi-Point C9 9mm pistol, the 9mm Luger cartridge has been my all time favorite handgun round to shoot. I've owned ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I keep it?

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar

Should I keep it?

Ever since I owned a Hi-Point C9 9mm pistol, the 9mm Luger cartridge has been my all time favorite handgun round to shoot. I've owned more 9mm handguns than any other because it is what I shoot the best. I have an XD45 that I am thinking about trading or selling for a SIG P226 or P229 9mm or maybe just maybe another Glock 17 (sold the first one and now regret it). Something tells me I should keep the XD45 because everyone should have a good big bore handgun, but it is expensive to shoot on my salary and it just sits in the safe, even when I head out to the range.

If I do end up selling my one and only big bore handgun for another 9mm, all my handguns will be 9mm (except the S&W 642). I do live in Alaska but I don't really go hunting or hiking so having a big powerful handgun isn't necessary for me, then again .45 ACP is not the best choice for defense against bears and other wild animals. I tend to spend most of my time within the city of Anchorage so I just carry my Glock 19.

So I ask this,

Should I keep my XD45 or sell/trade it for something I am more likely to shoot at the range?
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

2. Remove Ads

Sell the XD and get a Sig you won't regret it!!!
    You can't go through life being afraid!!

Sig 229 .40, Taurus 605 .357, Keltec P32

Get something you'll enjoy.
    Glock 27

"Criminals are a cowardly and superstitious lot."

A 9mm would be just fine for wolves, and they can be a problem just 20 minutes out of Anchorage.
    (9mm works on two-legged critters just fine...:yup)
    (Lived in AK for 7 years...)

I'd sell the .45, buy more 9mm ammo, and get a Ruger Redhawk for those time you're near the moose.

Stay armed...appropriately...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    I have both the XH and Sig P226, both in 40, I like the XD better for carry because of weight, but the Sig is great to shoot, don't think you can go wrong with either, but I do prefer my Sig to my XD.

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    Have you tried out the Sig you want first? If you already have weight out what you think are negatives and positives of each pistol, then make you selection from there. Either way you will have a quality firearm.
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

I would sell it. For me there are two kinds of shooting. Shooting at the range and the possible self defense shot. After months of reading I'm convinced the 45acp has been superseeded by the 40 S&W for the defense shot. More rounds in the magazine and an equally effective cartridge. For the range I think 9mm edges out the other calibers. It's less expensive. Of course, if you're wealthy you might prefer the 45 as a range gun.
    "You have to answer for Santino, Carlo. You fingered Sonny for the Barzini people."

jfl
    Go for the 9mm !!!

Make sure you shoot the gun you want to buy before you commit; go for what you like, who cares about what other people like !!!

And I think you are right in standardizing your ammo; also the 9mm is probably the most prevalent on this planet.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

With only one or two exceptions, I've regretted it every time I've sold or traded a gun.

Unless you simply can't make it work financially, I'd recommend keeping the XD.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    Thanks for the quick feedback.

I have 750 rounds of 9mm FMJ sitting in my safe and I still have the 230 grain HSTs I bought when I got the XD45, and have purchased one box of .45 ACP target ammo the two times I did take it to the range. I do have much more experience with the 9mm, but I still enjoy the shove of the .45 Auto cartridge.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Never sell a gun, just buy more. :)
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

GO for the 9 milli.

I was the exact opposite...I sold my 9milli. to help get my .45.

If you do sell it, you'll probably do a lot better financially if you sell it privately. If you sell it to a gun store or trade it in you'll take a big loss. That's where they make their profit on trades. I don't blame them for it - but it's reality.

Get something you'll shoot.

Get something you'll shoot
    Guns dont kill people. people kill people
    Μολὼν λαβέ

As long as you are streamlining...go back to the G17, you know you like it and you have the same manual of arms as your 19...plus you can use the higher capacity mags in your 19 from the 17.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links