Skyy announces two new pistols for summer

This is a discussion on Skyy announces two new pistols for summer within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It looks like the folks at Skyy Industries are trying to take over the concealed carry market. They have announced a .380 caliber that will ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skyy announces two new pistols for summer

VIP Member

It looks like the folks at Skyy Industries are trying to take over the concealed carry market. They have announced a .380 caliber that will go head to head with the Kel-Tec P-3AT and a 9 mm that is aimed directly at the Kel-Tec PF-9. No pictures available yet, but here are the specs.

Model MPX-3 .380 cal
    Length = 4.75
    Height = 3.45
    Width = .75
    Weight = 9oz
    Trigger - DAO - double strike capability - same smooth, comfortable action as our CPX-1
    Capacity 6+1
    Comes with 2 magazines and our custom child resistant trigger guard lock
    Stainless steel slide and barrel
    Color Configuration - Black or Two-Tone
    MSRP $339.00

Model MPX-9 9mm
    Length = 5.3
    Height = 3.65
    Width = .80
    Weight = 12oz
    Trigger - double strike capability - same smooth, comfortable action as our CPX-1
    Capacity 6+1
    Comes with 2 magazines and our custom child resistant trigger guard lock
    Stainless steel slide and barrel
    Color Configuration - Black or Two-Tone
    MSRP $389.00

Things are getting interesting
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Sounds interesting. I've never seen a Sky before that I know of. But I'd like to see anything else in KT's size range cause I'm not too impressed with KT's P3AT.

Lead Moderator
    If they seem to be reliable and small enough , I will be intrested in a 9mm. Steel framed ?

I'b bet if its 12oz it would have to be polymer.

VIP Member
    There have been several threads over the last few weeks discussing the CPX-1 and that Skyy might be targeting Kel-Tec. On of the officers VP I think pulled a stupid move and went on KTOG pretending to be an ordinary user thus creating some ill will. But the people here on this forum who have the Skyys seem to be very impressed with them. I have not seen one myself yet, but I went to the website tonight to gather some info since I am going to a gun show Saturday. The two new for summer pistols were listed so I took a look. It again seems that Kel-Tec is the outfit that they are targeting.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Administrator

They Sure Are Keeping Them Under Wraps

Not one single solitary photo on the web that I can swipe for you guys!

Assistant Administrator
    I shall be watching with some interest, tho heaven knows I don't ''need'' another gun
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    Not one single solitary photo on the web that I can swipe for you guys!
    I don't think it's coincidence that they announced their flat-9 just days after Kel-Tec did at the SHOT show. And I don't think it's coincidence that there's no pictures out yet. IMO they're just playing catch-up and trying not to lose market share while they hurriedly reverse engineer another Kel-Tec :D

VIP Member
    What I find funny is that Kel-Tec has a new website and it contains no info on the PF-9. It doesn't even mention it. The photos posted on KTOG have disappeared as well. KTOG has a link to the old site so you can find info and see the photos. Is Kel-Tec trying to hide PF-9 from Skyy until after Tulsa?
    George

If anybody could make a 9mm in the size of the Kel-Tec P3AT. Then keep the price at around $250.00 like the P11/P3AT they would have the market. Yes I know Rohrbaugh Firearms has a 9mm the same size as the P3AT, but the price is over $900.00.

Quote Originally Posted by dr_cmg
    What I find funny is that Kel-Tec has a new website and it contains no info on the PF-9. It doesn't even mention it. The photos posted on KTOG have disappeared as well. KTOG has a link to the old site so you can find info and see the photos. Is Kel-Tec trying to hide PF-9 from Skyy until after Tulsa?
    It's possible, though I really doubt it would matter one way or the other. There are only so many ways to build a gun and anything else could reasonably be said is a knockoff of the original. Almost all modern guns are variations on some older model. Every revolver and semi-auto pistol now built is based on a Colt of one design or another, the same way all modern bolt-action rifles can trace their roots to Mauser. As for SKYY's guns being clones of Kel-Tec's guns, K-T's themselves are a variation of an earlier pistol. K-T's president also designed the Grendal before he started K-T, which was an improvement on another gun, and the family resemblance is obvious.

If SKYY is targeting K-T, it may work to our (the consumers) advantage. With competition comes innovation and usually a better, cheaper product for the customer. It also means the consumer has a choice rather than being limited to a single product. A monopoly means the manufacturer charges what it wants, produces what it wants and has no incentive to change or improve. Just because Ford built the first cars here in the U.S, does that mean there should be no other automobiles? You may like GM and I may prefer Chrysler. They are all basically the same, but there are some differences that make us like one more then the other. Also, being first doesn't always mean the best. Look at what happened to Colt and it's production of handguns in the past decade and now Winchester is all but shutting down it's production of guns in the U.S.

Anyway, SKYY's new models will be released about the same time as the new K-T's. It looks like what it will come down to is which company offers the best gun at the best price and then follows up with a good service/warranty program. SKYY is the new guy on the block, but so was K-T 10 years ago. The one that does the best job of providing what their customer want will get the most business and we, the consumer, will come out the better for it. I'm all for brand loyalty, but honestly, when was the last time you heard of a company placing customer concerns and wishes ahead of the bottom line and a positive cash flow?
    Last edited by rachilders; March 11th, 2006 at 02:49 AM.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

VIP Member
    To answer my own question, I don't think it likely either. But OTOH, having watched the computer hardware and software industries for the last twenty or so years I have seen companies like Microsoft, Apple and IBM do stranger things.

What I say is "Go Skyy!" I like competition and I really need a light, easily concealed, inexpensive 9mm. A .380 that is almost as small as the Kel-Tec P-3AT and has no function problems would be nice as well.
    George

Go to k-ts web site and in the news section you will find links to pics on there new gun

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    I followed a thread last week on the SKYY I'd never heard of them before. Pretty interesting, seems to be a nice small easy to carry pistol.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sixgun
    Go to k-ts web site and in the news section you will find links to pics on there new gun
    Hey Sixgun, that was added after 9:20 pm CST last night. I pulled up the website and refreshed it just before posting that it wasn't there. I first noticed that the website had changed on Tuesday night after fed wif a sig posted about dealers taking orders. I tried to find the info on the new site but could not. I then went to KTOG and found a thread called "Where did it go?" dated 3/4/06 where a member asked where to find the PF-9 on the new website. He was told that the new site was not finished and that the info would show up. Another member gave the URL for the page on the old site so that he could get to the info right away. I would have thought that if you had a new product coming out you would make sure that it showed up on the new website as soon as it was up, but obviously the Kel-Tec people did not see it that way.

I'm glad that the info is there now, but I am really interested in seeing the new Skyy pistols. I will get my first opportunity to see and handle a Skyy tomorrow.
    George

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links