Yay I get to spend someone else's money.

This is a discussion on Yay I get to spend someone else's money. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The former owner of the XD9SC is looking to replace it after a time. Understand a couple things here: -This guy will only have the ...

The former owner of the XD9SC is looking to replace it after a time. Understand a couple things here:

-This guy will only have the one handgun. I had talked him into getting a .22 rifle some time ago.

-He's still relatively new to this whole thing.

-Appearance is valued as is capacity. Personally I have differing opinions than he does, but this is for him not me and he should have what he wants.

-CCW, as such, will not be pursued at this time for admittedly decent reasons I don't care to share. I agree with his personal decision to not CCW at this time FWIW. Of course whether or not I agree with it does not matter one flip, but I'm trying to tell ya'll the reasons are right. Car carry will be practiced however, since the laws in Texas have changed.

-He would like the gun to have viability for CCW purposes at a later date.

-His hands are the opposite of mine... I have sausage fingers and ham hands, his hands look like... well dare I say it, a girl's hands.

-He's a recovering le who is still learning that The Matrix is not a documentary on proper firearms usage.

The budget is set at $400 for just the gun, with rest of budget set aside for a decent holster, personal carry light, spare mags, etc.

The XD9SC was not wanted because:

-He found it unbalanced with the extended magazine.
    -The 11 round capacity was too low with the flush mag.
    -It was ugly.

I let him get his mitts on the Service sized XD in .40 and .45 ACP. The .45 ACP felt good but was just too big. The .40 fit like a glove but was just too darn ugly. However he did like it very much otherwise.

The CZ 75B was probably his overall pick, and I informed him I'd sell him mine for exactly what I paid for it and not a penny more (or less hehe). I'm not in a hurry to get rid of the CZ at all, but I'd sell it to a friend who needed the right gun. The only thing that killed it for him was he thought the whole manual decoking idea was insanity. I thought about it and realized I grew up decocking handguns without so much as a thought about it. For him still learning good handling skills, that may be a prudent observation.

He liked the revolvers very much for appearance (especially the 686) but said he felt they were too heavy and the capacity was too low. Fair enough since all my wheelguns are steel, although I did let him know that alloy and lighter revolvers exist (just not at his price range!). He got a kick out of the 625JM however and that one almost changed his mind... but it was too big for him anyway. The Detective Special was a good fit for his hand, but he has no interest in such a thing.

The Sig 220 passed the appearance test but was too big. Moving on...

Let's see, that's honestly about all I had to show him. Well I did let him try Dad's Ruger on for size but it was not right at all.

He decided he either likes a traditional external safety that can be turned off or on at the user's whim, or no external safety at all.

I told him what he likes seems to be a traditional DA/SA style, possibly a Smith and Wesson autoloader or maybe a Sig in a different sized frame.

He agreed that 9mm is probably best for him... inexpensive, serious enough for the intended purpose, and it will deliver the capacity he wants.

He then said he'd really, really like to have Neo's gun from the Matrix... In other words the Beretta 92 apparently. I told him that was a good gun, but it was pretty darn big and fairly expensive for what it was. Not that it's not easily worth it if you like it, but $400...

He likes the Sigpro too apparently, a tad out of budget but sometimes when something nice enough comes along budgets stretch LOL.

Any thoughts? This is kind of fun, it's not my money. For the record I told him I'd get an XD9 and forget it...

Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    Any thoughts? This is kind of fun, it's not my money. For the record I told him I'd get an XD9 and forget it...
    Exactly what I was thinking as I read your post.

Have fun,
    Dave

Wait since when isn't the Matrix proper hand gun handling?

Assistant Administrator
    XD-9 should do fine !

Maitrix Bud - not ''proper'' because too many fingers on triggers at wrong times - otherwise it's fine
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

If he liked the CZ-75, show him the CZ-75 decocker model. The manual safety is replaced with a decocking lever. They have it available in a compact model that holds 10 rounds as well. Both retail for $20-$40 more than the standard CZ-75.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Ooooh I forgot they made one. I'll email him the page tomorrow.

Sig 229, 239, 245?
    S&W CS9
    That S&W/Walther love child (something-something 99)
    Para LDA in 9mm (too many to list)

Look at the Glock 27. The Kel-Tec P11 is a nice gun, but sometimes you will have to work on them to make them a good shooter. Glocks are good shooter right out of the box. The Glock will bust the $400.00 and the P11 will be half.

For that price he is looking at a used gun. A new Glock or SigPro will be about $100 more. If the safety isn't an issue suggest the Glock 19 or a Kahr of similar size. He could probably get a Taurus for around $400. They have a manual safety and decent capacity, worth a look.

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    If he liked the 92 let him look at the Taurus PT92. I got two S/S for $375.00 apiece and a blued one for $350.00. He might like the smaller Taurus revolvers. Not trying to push Taurus just for his price range they offer a lot of pistols that he might be interested in.

I'm with roadrunner on this one... If he really like the CZ 75, and doesn't like the manual decock (I don't either!), a CZ 75BD seems ideal. I'm looking to get a CZ myself, and was pawing at a 75BD yesterday. I'm probably going to end up with a P-01, but the 75's are very nice :)
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by AnimalKracker
    If he liked the 92 let him look at the Taurus PT92. I got two S/S for $375.00 apiece and a blued one for $350.00. He might like the smaller Taurus revolvers. Not trying to push Taurus just for his price range they offer a lot of pistols that he might be interested in.
    Yeah if it turns out he can handle the size, that's about the only affordable way into that shooting platform for him. The PT92 I understand is an excellent clone of the Beretta.

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    I like my PT92's and my son loves the one that I gave him. My son carries a 92 as a duty weapon in the USAF. He took right to the PT92, and noticed right away that the PT92 had features that the 92 does not have. (light rail, carry S/A or D/A) Sam Andrews makes a holster for the PT92. Really smooth action,very light recoil in 9mm, and pretty darn accurate also.

Links