Rusty Springer

This is a discussion on Rusty Springer within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sad day for me... Well it was Friday anyway. I shoot a couple/three times a month and always clean my weapon after I shoot. On ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rusty Springer

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar

Rusty Springer

Sad day for me... Well it was Friday anyway. I shoot a couple/three times a month and always clean my weapon after I shoot. On the week or two a month that I don't, I generally try to make sure the 1911 stays oiled and as lint free as possible for something carried in my pants (or kilt) everyday. Then I got busy with work... I didn't wipe it down for a about 3 weeks. I unloaded it Friday and went to wipe it down, when it looked like there was some rust on the end of the barrel... So I field stripped it and shined a light down the bore... AND THERE WAS RUST ALL THE WAY DOWN IT!

I called up Springfield and had a FedEx label emailed to me within the hour. I shipped it off to them on Monday morning. The received it Tuesday morning and I guess I'll either be receiving it back or getting a phone call about it sometime relatively soon...

Anyone ever have something like this happen? I can't believe rust cropped up that fast - and on a well maintained gun no less...

The good news is that since my mom still doesn't carry much, she's letting me carry her Ed Brown until the Springer comes back home.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

2. Remove Ads

Your mom has a Ed Brown?Wow!

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Bummer. That's quite a Mom you have there. Would love to have an Ed Brown!

I've posted this product countless times here on the Forum. It's called Militec-1. It's a lube/conditioner that'll keep your Springer corrosion free once you've Treated it with the lube. Use there directions to the T the first time. I use nothing else and the product is fantastic.

MILITEC-1 - The ONLY all-purpose synthetic metal conditioner and gun oil

SA will hook you up. They have IMO the best customer service out there.

Good luck. My SA 1911 is my favorite pistol by far and has never rusted in it's 16 years of life.
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

I remember the OP post some time back about his Mom and her Ed Brown. Very Cool. Sorry about your gun...I am sure SA will take care of you.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Did you try to clean the barrel/bore first? If it just has light surface rust it likely will clean up with a good cleaning using brass brushes and a good solvent. I have had many milsurp rifles and pistols through the years that I purchased that had some lite rust in the bore and have always been able to clean the bore and make it rust free. light surface rust is generally easy to remove before any pitting begins.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

I tried that and it helped, but try as I might I couldn't get it all...

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

1943 - 2009
    Are you serious? Do you expect Springfield Armory to be liable for a maintenance issue that is clearly an owner responsibility?

Would you blame the auto maker if your car's engine seized up because you forgot to put oil in it?

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Yeah I do since it's a well maintained firearm and there's no reason it should rust like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    Are you serious? Do you expect Springfield Armory to be liable for a maintenance issue that is clearly an owner responsibility?
    I agree, the last thought on my mind would be to send it in. Brass brushes and Militec for a few hours, followed by a baking doused in the stuff.

JMHO
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinDooley View Post
    Yeah I do since it's a well maintained firearm and there's no reason it should rust like that.
    It's metal...will rust is not cared for. Same as any other metal, whether formed into a gun or something else.

I bet Springfield will take care of you, but it isn't the fault of their product. Let us know what they say.

Too bad about the rust, but sounds like your mom is cool :)
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinDooley View Post
    How do you store the handgun at home? If you place a dirty, powder fouled gun in an area were moisture is present (not in a gunsafe with a Golden Rod lets say) the moisture will accumilate in the dirty bore and rust will appear. This will happen in almost all guns. I cannot see how the problem is with the gun. Did you have any issues with the 1911 before you forgot to clean the gun? SA will help you with this but it may end up costing you something if the barrel needs replacing from bad maintenance.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Lead Moderator
    My SA Champ showed some rust on the bore , barrel and mainspring housing after I was caught in a downpour and didn't get to change for about 4 hours after that. It did clean right up though.
    A good cleaning and oiling may have prevented the rust, I would be sure you keep the gun moisture free as possible when not in use.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

RB-17 will take the rust right off; I have used it for years; as for preventing that from ever happening again, send the gun to someplace like accurate plating & weaponry and have the gun hard chromed. it will make the gun lock up like a bank vault, and will never wear and you will have a gun that will never rust that your grandkids will be shooting one day......
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

I didn't forget to clean the gun - as I said I clean it after every shooting. What I didn't get a chance to do was my weekly oil for 3-4 weeks (that I also didn't have time to shoot during). When I am not wearing it (about 6 hours every day) it is on the nightstand next to me while I sleep. It's not a humid room, but it's not overly dry. This gun literally never hits the safe because it is always on me or within reach.

After much scrubbing it became apparent that this was some kind of deeper problem and I called Springfield.

They called today to say the barrel had been replaced and the weapon was on its way back. Should be here via FedEx Tuesday.

JD
    Administrator
    Out of curiosity, what brand of lube are/were you using on the gun?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links