Is This a Race Gun or a Carry Gun?

This is a discussion on Is This a Race Gun or a Carry Gun? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; DW SS Custom Just curious, see if I am understanding the 1911 world correctly....

Thread: Is This a Race Gun or a Carry Gun?

Senior Member Array McPatrickClan's Avatar

Is This a Race Gun or a Carry Gun?

DW SS Custom

Just curious, see if I am understanding the 1911 world correctly.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    The rear sight and extended mag well are less than ideal for concealed carry, but I know guys who have carried 1911s so configured. (The mag well is convenient, and does not stick out very far, but adds weight.) The .40 chambering sounds a bit game-oriented to me, as you can get virtually the same ballistics with a 185-grain .45 ACP as with a 180-grain .40 S&W. I remember when the .40 was being first marketed, and that point was a major part of the marketing. I do seem to recall some "gamers" favoring the .40 1911 for some reason, over the .45 ACP, but I don't recall why, unless is was greater mag capacity. I have never fired a .40 1911, but I have fired other .40 pistols, and I don't see the .40 as having less recoil than .45 ACP, it actually seems quite sudden in acceleration, giving a sharp recoil impulse. The .45 ACP may have greater total recoil, but acceleration is less sharp. The higher-pressure .40 probably works better with a comp/brake.

I don't know when the ammo situation will improve, but .45 ACP is more plentiful/available right now than .40 S&W, in my area. I know this quite well, as I have two .40 pistols I am trying to break in, without breaking the bank. (I must use .40 at work, and must buy my own ammo; my usual carry pistols are also forties.)

You will have a wider choice of magazines if you stay with .45 ACP or .38 Super in a 1911 pistol.

If you are a fan of the .40, however, and don't mind that target sight eating your cover garments, this is a viable carry pistol.

VIP Member
    OOOOHHHH pretty! I love it. Definitely more competition than carry. That is a single stack limited gun. You could still carry it but notice the sights are not "snag free".
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexster View Post
    I do seem to recall some "gamers" favoring the .40 1911 for some reason, over the .45 ACP, but I don't recall why, unless is was greater mag capacity.

If you are a fan of the .40, however, and don't mind that target sight eating your cover garments, this is a viable carry pistol.
    Yes greater mag capacity is part of it and the .40 is the easiest way to handload to the minimum power factor (for major caliber points). Also you pay a premium for .45 ammo and components.

+1 again on the sights definitely not designed for carry.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Comp gun not carry. Still VERY NICE
    2A is not negotiable

Looks like a race or carry gun to me.

Does anyone make a fiber-optic sight for concealed carry (ie snag free)?

Links