Please help me with scopes / Slugs

This is a discussion on Please help me with scopes / Slugs within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been looking/researching shotguns now for about 4 months. I am looking for a combination home defense gun, as well as something I could ...

Thread: Please help me with scopes / Slugs

I have been looking/researching shotguns now for about 4 months. I am looking for a combination home defense gun, as well as something I could hunt with. I think I have narrowed it down to the 12 GA Benelli Nova w/ 26" barrel. Now my questions:

1) I want a red dot sight for quicker acquisition, but I also want to be able to dial in for longer shots when hunting. I found this TruGlo on Cabelas for a good price I think (Not trying to spend crazy bucks to keep my set up cheap, but good). I am not very familiar with scopes, and I was wondering how far this 2X30mm scope would allow me to view, and shoot effectively? Here is the scope @ Cabelas
    Cabela's -- Truglo® 2x30mm Red Dot Sight

2) I have read a good amount of info about slugs. Sabot's, Rifled etc etc etc.....and I am STILL CONFUSED. Can I shoot a rifled slug from a non-rifled barrel? If my barrel is non-rifled, will putting a short rifled choke on it make it ok to shoot rifled slugs? How accurate can you be with a slug out of a shotgun (rifled & non rifled) and at how far? Do they even MAKE non rifled slugs? Seems like all of them are rifled...

I know there is a lot to respond to, but I appreciate your infomation. I trust the info from you guys here on this board, more than I would trust getting it from some of my local shops. Thanks again.
    "Being armed gives you options"

Kimber Pro Carry II; S&W M&P; S&W M&P9c; Walther PPS: Ruger SP101 357: Kahr P380 w/ CT; NAA 22mag; Rock River AR-15; NEF Pardner Pump; Benelli Nova

Quote Originally Posted by claybreaker0 View Post
    1) I want a red dot sight for quicker acquisition,
    Should do you OK.

but I also want to be able to dial in for longer shots when hunting.
    I've been deer hunting with slugs since 1974. The longest shot I've ever taken was 137 yds. Most of your hunting will probably be within 100 yds. Even iron sights will suffice but a red dot would also help. If you decide to go with a scope get a low power scope, nothing over a 4X.

Can I shoot a rifled slug from a non-rifled barrel?
    Rifled slugs are made for smooth bores (non-rifled). You can shoot rifled slugs out of a rifled barrel but you won't get the best performance and accuracy out of the barrel. For rifled barrels they make sabot type slugs which usually give a lot better accuracy. You can shoot sabot slugs out of a smooth bore but accuracy will suffer.
    So - rifled slugs for smooth bore and sabots for rifled barrels.

If my barrel is non-rifled, will putting a short rifled choke on it make it ok to shoot rifled slugs?
    If you put a rifled choke in then you might be able to shoot sabot slugs OK. That's the purpose of the rifled choke tube. What kind of accuracy you get will depend on your gun and the sabots you try.

How accurate can you be with a slug out of a shotgun (rifled & non rifled) and at how far?
    It will depend on the gun and ammo. My usual beat around deer gun is an 870 with an 18" smooth barrel with a 4X scope. With Breneke KO and W-W 1 oz foster slugs (rifled slugs) it will shoot clover leaf patterns at 65 yds and no more than 4" at 100 yds. Federal fosters open up to the 6" size at 100 yds. However with Remington foster slugs it won't keep the rds on a sheet of legal paper at 50 yds. My 870 just doesn't like Remington slugs.
    I have a 26" Hastings rifled barrel for the 870. With the Breneke KOs at 65 yds it will do 1" groups with ease.
    I'm not endorsing Brenekes. Your gun may blow Brenekes all over the place and put Remingtons 1 rd on top of the other. You just have to try what works best for your gun.

Do they even MAKE non rifled slugs?
    Sabots.
    183 FBINA

If you're interested in multiple use of your 870 purchase a short barrel (18 to 20 inch) for home defense and use a slug designed for smoothbore or buck. Pick up a rifled/cantilevered barrel for deer hunting that you can sight in once and forget till time to hunt. Then use your medium length smooth bore barrel with the proper choke for upland. Since the 870 is as popular as it is you should be able to get good used barrels if you take your time and shop around (don't forget the pawn shops).

I'm a big fan of the Tru Glo 2x scopes for short to medium ranges. They are great on shotguns, pistol caliber carbines and similar. I have only had to return one, a customer had the one with multiple reticles and the crosshairs were crooked. They replaced it with no problems.

I got to shoot a bunch of slugs on a P.D.s dime and the most accurate were the Federal "Tru-Ball" slugs. I bought a case of the low recoil ones for my smoothbore Mossberg and Benelli shotguns. We shot them all from smoothbore defense-type guns.
    The low recoil slug #PB127LRS is the civilian version of the Tactical Low Recoil slug, they are the same except for the name and the civilian one is easier to find lately.
    Federal Premium - Slug Details

thanks for the help! I am looking at a bunch of rifled slugs now and a lot of them say "for use with rifled barrels only." I dont understand? Also, is it safe to put both rifled and sabot slugs in a smooth bore shotgun, just with the sabot you won't get the accuracy?
    "Being armed gives you options"

Kimber Pro Carry II; S&W M&P; S&W M&P9c; Walther PPS: Ruger SP101 357: Kahr P380 w/ CT; NAA 22mag; Rock River AR-15; NEF Pardner Pump; Benelli Nova

Quote Originally Posted by claybreaker0 View Post
    thanks for the help! I am looking at a bunch of rifled slugs now and a lot of them say "for use with rifled barrels only." I dont understand? Also, is it safe to put both rifled and sabot slugs in a smooth bore shotgun, just with the sabot you won't get the accuracy?
    Those would be sabot rds, not rifled slugs. The rifled slug will have rifling like gooves on the slug. The sabot rds will have a solid projectile, lead, brass, whatever, encased in a couple of pieces of plastic sleeving.
    Rifled slugs may or may not shoot well in a rifled barrel, generally not well.
    You can shoot either thru a smooth bore but you're most likely not going to get the accuracy out of a sabot slug. A sabot isn't weighed right for accuracy unless it's shot thru a rifled barrel. It needs to spin like a football in air. A rifled slug, usually known as a foster slug, is weighted on the front end like a badminton shuttlecock.
    183 FBINA

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links