Opinions: Stoeger Cougar

This is a discussion on Opinions: Stoeger Cougar within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone have or ever had one. They look to be a well made handgun and seem to be priced nicely for the quality you get. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anyone have or ever had one. They look to be a well made handgun and seem to be priced nicely for the quality you get. As with anything else I have not shot before, opinions would be appreciated.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by LeCalsey; May 21st, 2009 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Adde Pic
    2A is not negotiable

VIP Member
    I use to have the Beretta Cougar, which was sold to Stoeger, not real sure about any differences. Mine was .40 S&W and was nice to shoot, I traded it on my XD 40 4".

Specs are similar to the Beretta and it looks like a Beretta too. That explains some of it. Price s remarkable at around $350
    2A is not negotiable

VIP Member
    yeah mine was around 450-500 when I bought it, I sold it mainly because finding stuff for it was difficult, and I really wanted the XD.

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shooterX View Post
    I use to have the Beretta Cougar, which was sold to Stoeger, not real sure about any differences. Mine was .40 S&W and was nice to shoot, I traded it on my XD 40 4".
    Only difference is the name! Same tooling with a different brand name. Great pistol for the money. Loved the one I shot, but I love my 1911and S&W snubs more.

Would highly recommend to a new buyer on a budget
    Last edited by Sportsterguy; May 21st, 2009 at 04:16 PM. Reason: addition
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Great gun. Points nice, good shooter. I liked my buddy's alot. It's on my "list".
    "Don't Tread on Me"

I also have a Cougar on my list. Never shot one but I have a Stoeger model 2000 shotgun. My Dad and brother have one also. These guns fire hundreds of rounds a year in the duck swamps of Georgia and Arkansas and they never miss a beat. IMO Stoeger firearms are one of the best values out there.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

I like mine a lot. I have the 9MM. Carry it every day. Can't shoot it much, ammo is to expensive right now.
    Steven
    The "news media" has ceased being the watch dog of the people and has become the apologist for an irresponsible government.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Stoeger Industries is a Beretta subsidiary along with Benelli, Franchi and Uberti. Stoeger produces the Cougar in Turkey with basically the same quality and precise tolerances as the Beretta version but at about half the price. I personally am not a big fan of Beretta handguns but if you like Beretta's you will like the Stoeger Cougar.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

I have the Beretta Cougar and I'm hard pressed to see any differences with the Stoeger Cougar at all when we compared them. It's the "same tooling", etc. used to make them.

Gun is good quality and shoots nice. It has the rotating barrel which helps in recoil and accuracy. I don't like the decocker, but we're stuck with it in the USA. The non-decocker models are not sold in the USA (to avoid liability lawsuits).

Also have the Beretta PX4 sub-compact. For conceal carry, I would recommend it over the Cougar. It's high quality, shoots great, just a tad smaller, easier to carry / conceal, and more ergonomically comfortable... comes with 3 different grip backs you can use .... the one that fits your hand the best.

Have never had ANY issue with either one. They have shot every ammo I've put in them, and have shot without any issues what-so-ever.

However, it's nice to have both.

I love the gun, I own it myself and couldn't be more pleased, I paid quite a bit for it due to not being able to find it in stock anywhere at the time, but it was worth it. It shoots well and feels good in the hand. Here are some pics of mine:

The Stoeger Cougar is a finely crafted pistol. Mine is the 15 + 1 9mm version and I stold it for $ 396 or something brand spanking new.

I found it to be accurate and worthy of the price but, alas, it really has turned out to be a range gun for me.

Good: Rotating barrel...easiest take down I've ever experienced... excellent high grip ergo...high capacity...all metal (I replaced the plastic guide rod with Beretta's original stainless steel in their original Cougar version).

Bad: Grip is too thick...Grip is too long for conceal carry IMHO...sights are poor and need immediate replacement...pistol is all metal and too darn heavy for CCW...trigger is downright terrible (I detest the DA/SA on this)...safety is awkward as you flip it up instead of down (and the darn thing is amidextrous so it gets in the way (downright painful) of pulling the slide to the rear manually.

It is commander size:

Worth the money...certainly! Home defense...yup. If you want a concealed carry pistol, I'd say nope...get a Glock 19 or 26.
    It all comes down to going down the dark holes after monsters. Thatís what itís all about; when everyone else is huddled around the campfire, somebody has to go out and fight.

Sportsterguy is right on the money, its the same gun with a different name! I was looking at that one and the PX4 Storm in a .40 s&w. It felt GREAT in my hands. A sense of pure firepower! It could be just my imagination tho! lol
    Good luck!

basically it's the same design as the Beretta. It comes down to your grip. I was about to purchase the cougar over the PX4 storm based on price...until I held the two of them together. The Storm had a much better fit to my hand. I spent that extra $$$.

Does anyone know if it uses Beretta mags? If so, which one?
    2A is not negotiable

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links