My New Dick Spl

This is a discussion on My New Dick Spl within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Guys! I got this gun in 2/11/06 (as in the 1st pic) I transferred it to Nh, and noticed it was WAAAAYY out of time.... ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My New Dick Spl

My New Dick Spl

Guys! I got this gun in 2/11/06 (as in the 1st pic) I transferred it to Nh, and noticed it was WAAAAYY out of time.... ....sooooooooo I sent it out the very same day under the Store's 30 day warranty i had since I bought it from the store (for the Paulty price of $202.50) after my discount of course. Tagged out at 225.00 on the shelf probably due to it being so very diirty and tarnished
    BTW.......that's a de-horned Charter Pug 44 Spl, I found as well.......for 148.50 (couldn't help myself with that......i love 44s
    So.........now I get the Colt Detective Spl back tonight (3/09/06 and check it out........TIGHT AND TIMED PERFECTLY.........it cost the store 37.50 for the gunsmith to do the work........cost my NADA since it was Warranty work..
    Ok.........now........I get it home.....and it seems to have a yellowish tint to it (as in pic 1)......after about a good hour of polish........I find it's a FACTORY NICKEL GUN.... ......The S/N range says it was..made in 1972-73 vintage..... ......
    BTW, when I fist looked at it, I thought it was a half butt cheek re-nickel finish, BUT it's coming along..........after about 34 yrs of tarnish that lil pony's looking good.... .....AND the grips..........They're solid EBONY WOOD. . I think they're Jay Scott finger groove grips........(I took the grips off, and looked at the back to find solid wood..
    WHAT A FIND FOR 202.50 this lil gem has a good home, and also I'll carry it too..sooooo here's a few pics for you to see
    BTW.....EUC.......this gun came in about a week after you got your Dick Spl........
    Attached Images
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Oh you lucky son of a.......... Oops, can't say that, but you know what I mean. The thing is beautiful!!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Gotta love the Det Specials!

VIP Member
    VERY COOL!!! I'm a big Colt 6-shooter snubby fan too.....I once owned a pre-72 Dick Special that I still regret having sold off.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Outstanding deal!

Seeing that my Rossy .38 five shot snub was the same price.

1952 - 2006
    Great find. Well done!!

Now if only I can find a deal like that someday.........yea sure.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Very nice.. Funny my Colt with nickel finish has a yellowish tint also but mine doesn't rub out..

Its a very lite tint supposed tot be the way they did the nickle at the time

wow !...what a classic find...

THAT is way beautiful! I'm started to get interested in "Wheelies"! Good find!

Nice, the perks of working in a gun shop! it is amazing that anybody would even give them up.

Luck dog!

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

I would have to eat Ramen noodles every night if I had your job; probably wouldn't be married, either.
    "Speed is fine, but accuracy is final." - Bill Jordan

Guys, Just a quick update on the Little Colt. I came home this morning, and worked the gun a bit more... .....Here's a couple of UPDATED PIX from what a little "elbow grease" does for the value and presentaion of these "Diamonds in the Rough"
    NEVER pass on the opportunity to grab something like this, when you come across it, ESPECIALLY when it's a bit tarnished/dirty. My thought process is I just made my money back, and then some, should I wish to get rid of it, and upgrade to a more expensive weapon.
    I'm going to take it to a local shop, and see what it's worth in money, as I've cleaned it up. Becha they give me at least 300.00 in trade for it. (and they're going to mark it up to their tag.. (I'm NOT going to bite on the deal though) I'll upgrade the Post, when I return.
    Attached Images

Assistant Administrator
    That is very sweet Bob - even better that the timing prob is dealt with (did they tell ya what they had to do? Always interested to know).

Appears to have cleaned up very nicely and I doubt you are far off with an estimate on value now. Great find that's for sure, and I say that as a near non-Colt fan too.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Chris
    They replaced the Hand, stirrup, and cylinder stop. That brought the timing into the tight specs that the Colts are noted for...
    At the point of ignition, the cylinder is tight, as it should be. Locks up at the crane with no noticalble wear......i took a good look at it this morning, and it appears ti may have never been fored.. it's CLEAN around the forcing cone and to powder burn marks anywhere...

Very nice find. Good looking carry gun.
    I can't see in the pic...where's the S&W logo?
    Dave

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links