Systems approach to CCW

Systems approach to CCW

This is a discussion on Systems approach to CCW within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Being a retired Marine, I am used to the “system” approach to any equipment I or others may have to operate. Simply stated, the training ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Systems approach to CCW

Systems approach to CCW

Being a retired Marine, I am used to the “system” approach to any equipment I or others may have to operate. Simply stated, the training equipment should be as close to the real equipment as possible. Also, if multiple platforms are needed for delivery, they should be designed to be as close to the same as possible for ease and familiarity of operation.
    When I decided to carry concealed I found that I did indeed need two platforms to match my attire. I needed in the pocket carry with a lightweight weapon for hot weather and belt carry OWB for colder weather, utilizing a somewhat more powerful delivery system to overcome the possibility of the target wearing multiple layers of clothing also.
    I decided on the S&W Centennial J-Frame as the basis of my system.
    For carry, I deploy a 640 (.357 Magnum in SS) for colder weather and a 642 (.38 Spcl +P) in the warmer weather. I actually carry .38 Spcl +P in the 640 and .38 Spcl SP in the 642. In case of extreme circumstances the .357 Magnum in the 640 would be a viable option for upgrade of response.
    My training system includes a S&W 317 in .22 CB for frequent shooting in my indoor garage range (bullet Trap and backdrop) and in .22LR outside in woods. I utilize a Blackhawk demonstrator (plastic copy) S&W Centennial as a trainer in practicing weapon retention with my #2 son who is a martial artist. I also use the trainer to practice draws from different attire and positions.
    Every two weeks I fire the seasonal carry weapon at indoor range with practice ammo that has characteristics matched to my carry ammo.
    Thus my delivery system and training systems are in synch and allow for a full spectrum of training.
    Just off the top of my head, I believe that the 1911 and Glock systems would lend well to this approach. Others probably would too, but I know for sure that those two have .22LR adapters and plastic trainer guns made for them.

Last edited by wjh2657; May 22nd, 2009 at 05:13 AM.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

That looks like a good system to me. I plan to pick up a J frame in the near future.

One question and one nitpick:

-Why not carry 357 in the 640? Is the recoil too much despite the steel frame?

-S&W refers to the style of J frame with fully enclosed hammer as "Centennial". The "Bodyguard" has a shrouded hammer with the humpback.

Quote Originally Posted by heph View Post
    That looks like a good system to me. I plan to pick up a J frame in the near future.

One question and one nitpick:

-Why not carry 357 in the 640? Is the recoil too much despite the steel frame?

-S&W refers to the style of J frame with fully enclosed hammer as "Centennial". The "Bodyguard" has a shrouded hammer with the humpback.

Duly noted, thread edited. I am getting ready to buy a Bodyguard, so I guess I had it on my mind. I have fired .357 in 640 and it is way too much for me on a regular basis. Gun can handle it-I can't!
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Quote Originally Posted by wjh2657 View Post
    I have fired .357 in 640 and it is way too much for me on a regular basis. Gun can handle it-I can't!
    If you want to shoot .357 magnums out of a shorter barreled 5-Shot try the ruger SP101.

It uses J-Frame Speedloaders and is the lightest/smallest .357 magnum I will shoot. I like your "system approach" and did something similar when I carried revolvers only.

Thank you for your service and welcome home. Take care and stay safe.

Biker
    Last edited by BikerRN; May 22nd, 2009 at 05:27 AM. Reason: typo

Good To Go!

Wow! Wjh2657 sounds like you're ready for almost anything! I like your, "System" approach. Quite similar to mine but with more detail! I like it!!
    I thank you for your service and may the Lord bless you always!

whj2657... Sound like a plan to me. When the SHTF I want you on my side!

Thanks for your service and stay safe.
    Jeff
    NRA Member
    Kimber Ultra Carry II, Glock G23 & G36, Kahr PM9, Winchester 1300 Defender 12gauge pump
    (my favorite but hard to hide)

VIP Member
    Nice sytem, I like your thinking!

I like your system. It's a very logical and functional approach.

I bet you're a crack shot with those snubbies.

Very organized approach...very organized thinking...well done!

Stay armed...always have a system or a plan...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Nice system, way to be ever prepared.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    Very informative. Do you have more information on the bullet Trap and backdrop. I need an indoor range and have been wondering about the design criteria for stopping the rounds. Thanks.

I tried the lightweight approach, but it just never felt right to me.. That's not saying it isn't right, just how I felt.. So, I carry a Commander size 1911 year-round. I wouldn't mind lighter in the South Texas heat, but a t-shirt and linen pants work fine for me.

I really do want to start carrying a j-frame when I'm out for more than an hour in this heat.. I'd like to hear more about that backstop too. Thanks for posting..
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

I use a Champion Bullet Trap and have reinforcing 4" Oak surrounding it. I am only shooting CCI CBs so this is sufficient . At the 21 ft range the CBs are shooting straight. You don't have the recoil but it is great for working on trigger press and holding light gun still for pointing/aiming. (S&W 317 is lighter than 642 but has same trigger pull, makes for some serious trigger control practice!) Do not underestimate value of CBs for frequent practice. I do longer range work with .22 LR outside in woods.

I can consistently keep a 3" circle at my combat range <25 ft. That is even with the .38 rounds at indoor range. That is more than accurate enough for my needs.

Good stuff, also, where can I get the plastic 442/640 J frame practice revolver?
    Bosun
    Semper Paratus
    "Never choose a life at sea--it holds you like a prison"

Quote Originally Posted by Bosun View Post
    Good stuff, also, where can I get the plastic 442/640 J frame practice revolver?
    LA Police Gear LA ,http://www.lapolicegear.com/?gclid=C...FQOuFQodiRMS3g, has it. Blackhawk is the only one that I know of who makes the 640, everybody else has the M36/M60 hammer model. LA Police Gear all kinds of neat tactical clothing and gear too. Most of it is LEO oriented but a lot of it has civilian applications too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links