.357 SIG Models: Feedback Please

This is a discussion on .357 SIG Models: Feedback Please within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have narrowed my choices down, though not as narrow as I would like. I am buying next week hopefully. Please help. Here are my ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .357 SIG Models: Feedback Please

I have narrowed my choices down, though not as narrow as I would like. I am buying next week hopefully. Please help.

Here are my choices:

S&W- M&P 357c Sub-Compact
    Sig-Sauer P250 Sub-Compact
    Glock- G33 Sub-Compact
    H&K- P2000SK Sub-Compact
    Steyr- S Series 357 Sub-Compact

I can't find the Steyr anywhere.

I have small hands, so grip is important. I carry a Springfield XD-45 and a Bersa .380 currently. I am buying a Glock 36 next week as well, but I want a .357 badly.
    SA XD-45ACP
    Glock G36
    Bersa Thunder .380
    Ruger LCR
    SIG P250 Full Size and SC 9mm

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    I can't offer a great deal of advice, but I can tell you that you will probably like any SigArms product... excellent ergonomics and outstanding quality. Think BMW or Mercedes... I've never heard a single person say, "Sig sucks..."
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    I've got a Glock 32 and 33. They are awesome, never jammed.
    The 33 will not have room for your pinky finger.

Velocity with Speer Gold Dot 125
    32: 1,334 fps
    33: 1,315 fps

You can't really go wrong with any on your list. Personally I like the Sig choice. I almost bought the 250 myself, I really liked the modular idea! I wound up with the P239 SAS gen 2, the price was right for me.

how about a sig sauer P239? it comes in 357, it is single stack so it should fit your small hands.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Laxer View Post
    how about a sig sauer P239? it comes in 357, it is single stack so it should fit your small hands.
    I like the P239, but I am looking for a sub-compact.
    SA XD-45ACP
    Glock G36
    Bersa Thunder .380
    Ruger LCR

I believe the P250 is LARGER than the P239....
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Laxer View Post
    +1. I love the Sigs!
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Personally, I like the Steyrs - but I haven't seen an S-model in .357 Sig (I have one in 9mm I love). But I do have the M-model in .357 Sig, and it is only a half inch longer in both the barrel and handle, so it's still pretty small. I can carry mine easily in a pocket holster in the front pocket of cargo pants.

I've shot the Sig-Sauer, and was impressed.

Jim D.

Ballistics by the inch: "Four guys, two chronographs, and 8,500 rounds of ammo."

Like Science Fiction? Read *or listen to* my novel, Communion of Dreams, for free.

I carry 357SIG in a P226ST. If you desperately want a sub-compact semi-auto in 357SIG, then you want it, and my first choice would be the SIG, and next, the Glock.

That said, you need to ask yourself why you want the 357SIG in a sub-compact barrel length. When SIG and Federal got together and designed the cartridge, they designed it around the P226/P229 platform, to obtain performance equivalent to a .357 Mag in a 4" semi-auto barrel. Just as you won't see the .357 Mag recommended in an ultra-short barrel snubbie, you won't see me recommend the 357SIG in a sub-compact - much of the purpose and benefit of the cartridge design is lost in such a short barrel. Will it work? Absolutely. But it isn't optimal. The 357SIG wasn't designed for a short barrel.

In a 9mm bullet, out of a short barrel, the 9mm +P Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel (GDHP-SB), outperforms the .357 Mag. and the 357SIG. If you can, you should try before you buy, comparing shooting a sub-compact in 9mm +P short barrel ammo vs a sub-compact in 357SIG. JMO, of course.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Sponsor
    I would not qualify the M&Pc as a sub-compact. It is however an excellent handgun both ergonomically and performance wise.

I have handled but not fired the Sig P250 compact(not the sub). It has a very good feel and no one can argue against Sig's quality. It may still have a few "new design hiccups" as any wholly new pistol inevitably does. As some earlier stated the P250 compact is just slightly larger than the P239. 1/8" in grip length and marginally less in slide length + beaver tail. The P250 has a thicker/beefier grip.

I have not had any contact with the G33 but the G26 is so small that I would have a very difficult time controlling it.

I have not seen or handled the P2000 sub-compact.

The Steyr S would not be what I would consider a sub-compact either. They are as rare as the proverbial hen's tooth. There are a few around but they are such a nice find that no one wants to sell them. To the best of my knowledge the SA series was never imported to the US. I have the M9A1 and would stack it up against any of the brands in your list for quality and ergonomics. You just aren't going to have an easy time finding the compact version.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

VIP Member
    The P250 Sub-compact has an OAL of 6.7" according to their website, while the P239 is 6.6". The P250 has an OAH of 4.7" and the P239 is 5.1" The P250 OAW is 1.1" and the P239 is 1.2"

The P250 is slightly longer, while the P239 is .4" taller and .1" thicker.

They are relatively the same size, however chambered in .357sig, the P250 holds 2 more rounds with 9+1 compared to the 7+1 P239.
    The P250 is also 4.6 oz. lighter.
    The P250 offers only one trigger, the DAO. The P239 offers the DAO, the DAK and the DA/SA (my preference)

Both guns are good options in the .357sig, it just depends on what you like.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Out of your choices...Glock 33 first. HK second. The Glock edges out the HK due to price and overall selection of aftermarket stuff.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I found a place that has Steyr M-A1's in all calibers for $399. Should I jump on that?
    SA XD-45ACP
    Glock G36
    Bersa Thunder .380
    Ruger LCR

I don't like the P239 only because of the hammer. It is a personal preference, but I dislike an exposed hammer. Call me crazy. It is just tacky to look at for me and on my .380, it gets snagged on my shirt sometimes.
    SA XD-45ACP
    Glock G36
    Bersa Thunder .380
    Ruger LCR

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links