I need help/advice on the FNP-9 (holster/care/ammo)

I need help/advice on the FNP-9 (holster/care/ammo)

This is a discussion on I need help/advice on the FNP-9 (holster/care/ammo) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello everyone, I just recently ordered myself a DA/SA FNP9. It is my first and only gun at the moment and I am going to ...

Thread: I need help/advice on the FNP-9 (holster/care/ammo)

Lightbulb I need help/advice on the FNP-9 (holster/care/ammo)

Hello everyone, I just recently ordered myself a DA/SA FNP9. It is my first and only gun at the moment and I am going to use it as my home defense/carry/range pistol. As I said this is my first gun and I need some guidance and help in a couple areas such as holsters, carry ammo, range ammo, lube and other cleaning supplies. I have done my research on gun saftey and I have had a couple trips to a shooting range so I have some experience with shooting and handling firearms, but since I have never owned one I do not have much knowledge on proper cleaning and maintenance of a firearm, outside of some videos I watched on youtube so any advice on that would be greatly appriciated also. Also about the holster I am a 6'5" 185 pound man so I am more of the tall lanky type and I would like to opt for an IWB or a middle of the back type of holster for a right hander so I hope somebody out there has some nice suggestions for me! Thanks to everyone who can help me get started out in the right direction
    Last edited by Platinumkat; May 22nd, 2009 at 05:59 AM.

Congrats on your order. I think you will really like the FNP.

If you haven't already been there, check out: FN Forum.NET they have extensive discussions addressing all of your questions.

I have the FNP-9mm which I carry daily in a Crossbreed Supertuck. The FNP has not hit the mainstream yet, so the accessories are few and far between. Crossbreed seemed like the best choice for IWB carry to me. I am 5'10" ~175lbs and the gun is pretty much invisible with only a t-shirt concealing it. The gun and holster are only two parts of the equation for carrying concealed. A proper gun belt is equally important as the selection of a holster/gun. I have had good luck with the Instructor belt from Wilderness Tactical.

My FNP has eaten all types of ammo I have been able to get my hands on. For practice, I shoot the cheap stuff from Walmart (Blazer Brass, Winchester white box). For carry, I have Speer Gold-Dot 124gr +P.

I use BreakFree CLP for cleaning and lube of my FNP. In addition to the CLP, I put a little bit of Tetra Gun Grease on the rails. Use both products sparingly, it is very easy to over lube these things.

The FNP is a DA/SA pistol with a decocker. If you got the USG version it will also have a manual safety. I would suggest you spend a lot of time getting comfortable with the pistol operation before you decide to carry it. Unless you have the version with the safety, you should not carry it cocked. My FNP does not have a safety so: I load the mag, chamber a round, decock the hammer, drop the mag, top top it off, re-insert the mag, and finally holster the pistol.

Good luck with your new pistol. My FNP is a great shooter that generally draws a crowd at the range.

Congrats on your new pistol!! I really like what you chose.

You and I are similar body types. I am 6'3" 170. I carry an XD45 Service (full size auto pistol) 90% of the time but just recently got a subcompact that I carry the other 10%.

I carry the full size in a Crossbreed Supertuck at 3:30 with full cant and don't have any problem concealing it. My wife doesn't even notice it. When I carry the subcompact I either carry it in either the crossbreed or appendix carry it in a Don Hume 715.

I have probably 8 holsters for the XD and the crossbreed is by far the most comfortable holster I have ever tried.

Below is a picture of it.

This is a pictures of the same gun in the Don Hume. The grip sticks out and really prints through my shirt buy the subcompact in this holster works really well.

And here is a pic of the subcompact

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thank both of you very very much, I really appreciate the suggestions, I am going to order me a supertuck since it seems to be a winner, and I am going to take some time with the pistol at the range and I am not going to carry it yet until I finish my CC classes which are schedule for the beginning of june. I am also going to check out those FN forums thanks for that link. Thanks again guys

Also have either of you tried out or have oppinions on the Winchester Ranger T-Series, Hornady Critical Defense, Remington Golden Saber, or the Federal HST ammo? I have been reading about these rounds, and the Golddots also but since Scott314 says he uses them for his carry round I take that as a +1 for those already

I am searching for a nice balanced round that is not going to give off the most recoil, but will be accurate, expand well, and have decent penetration.

They are all good rounds. When you make the choice of what ammo you want to use as your primary self defense ammo make sure you spend the extra money and but 200 rounds of it and shoot it in your gun. You want to make sure your gun likes that kind of ammo and is 100% reliable.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Ok I will do soon as I can find somewhere to get the ammo from it seems all the local stores around my area are completely tapped out of 9mm ammo, I hear the same thing is happening in a lot of places though, but thanks again for more great advice

Sponsored Links