I have a CPL on the way and need something for my pocket.

This is a discussion on I have a CPL on the way and need something for my pocket. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just put my application into my local LEO. I am looking for a reliable yet compact pocket gun. You see I need to have ...

I just put my application into my local LEO. I am looking for a reliable yet compact pocket gun. You see I need to have deep concealment as my job takes me into less than desirable environments and my boss is less than gun friendly. I believe that I have a right to come home to my fiancée in once piece so I am thinking about looking into a nice pocket gun for deep concealment. What would you guys recommend that I could get my hands on in the next couple months. I am open to any auto or wheel guns you guys could recommend.

Depends on your budget. There are many small autos that should work. Me personally I would have nothing smaller than a 9mm. Look at the Kel-tec PM9mm. But if you need deep concealment you may need to go to a .380. Kel-tec P3AT would be a good choice.
    If I had more money step up to a Ruger LCP in.380. A Kahr auto would be my next choice in 9mm or .380 , but they are more expensive.
    I went with a Smith and Wesson j-frame revolver airweight because I trust the dependability of a revolver more than a pocket auto, but its a little harder to conceal because of the round cylinder.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

I just bought the NAA Guardian 380 on the suggestion of my CCL instructor. It also came through with Crimson Trace Laser Sights which might be good in a dark parking lot at 10'-0". I also own a S&W Model 36 and it's true that the gun is just a bit heavy for the pocket and also the cylinder prints the pocket most of the time. But that Sunbby is probably my most reliable gun of them all.

For small guns:

1st choice: Ruger SP-101 .357 with spurless hammer, carried in a SmartCarry rather than a pocket because of your environment.

2nd choice: Smith & Wesson 642 no-lock in a SmartCarry. A 442 is also a good choice, but will require more care for the finish when carried close to the body. If you decide to carry in the pocket, I would choose the 442 because it's all black and will be less noticeable if it peeks out the top of your pocket.

3rd choice: Keltec PF-9, a newer serial number, test it thoroughly, carry it however you can--around $300.

4th choice: a Kahr 9mm or .40, test it thoroughly--costs much more than a Keltec. If I had the money and time to test it, I might make this the 3rd choice.

Choice of last resort: a .380, run at least 500 rounds through it to test it.

Those are my small gun choices. With the proper clothes and holster, you may be able to conceal a medium or large gun. With a SmartCarry, most can conceal a large gun.

Finally, I always prefer to carry two guns. A dual-holster SmartCarry makes this possible even around those who would panic at the sight or thought of a gun. I routinely carry an XD-45 compact and an SP-101 in a SmartCarry. I have done this thousands of hours around sheep on steroids and have never been detected.

Because I believe in Murphy's law, I like to carry one gun accessible to each hand, and 1 auto and 1 revolver. Some think that's overkill, but I'm good with it. Like you, I also want to return to my family at night.

The LCP is the hot ticket right now...but i ten to think I woud spen the extra money for a j frame like a 642 or a Kahr PM9
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

One thing I forgot to mention is that our uniform is a issued t shirt and what ever khakis or jeans we want to wear. Is the smart carry easy to draw from? The biggest situation I am worried about is someone coming up to my window in my truck and mugging/ car jack/ etc.....

Saginaw is a very isolated place. But it is beautiful. A relative of mine is a doctor at the hospital there. Ever since the crime rate went up, he has decided to move out.

Not sure if DeSantis makes these anymore, but my instructor said this is what he uses when he is off duty: DeSantis Elastic Belly Band Holster
    Vince K
    Aerospace Designer, Freemason, NRA member

I love my Glock 27 and in a Smartcarry it'd be pretty undectable. I carry in a strongside IWB and I've never had anyone notice - including other CCWs and LEO friends. Smartcarry would make that 'deep concealment' much more that that. Reliable gun at a decent price. I have trouble shooting anything much smaller because of the generally higher recoil and obviously a shorter barrel makes a gun less accurate and I'm not a great shot to begin with. Just my $.02.
    Glock 27

"Criminals are a cowardly and superstitious lot."

I second Wormy's post.. . I wouldn't feel totally right with anything less then a 9mm... But if I had to (and I've thought about for a bug) I'd get the P3AT,... If you can find ammo... .

deep concealment

Kel-Tec P3AT with belt clip...
    Glock 19 in a Crossbreed supertuck EDC

Ruger LCP W/ CT "the go anywhere gun" EDC

"ALWAYS carry!NEVERtell!" Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by durus View Post
    One thing I forgot to mention is that our uniform is a issued t shirt and what ever khakis or jeans we want to wear. Is the smart carry easy to draw from? The biggest situation I am worried about is someone coming up to my window in my truck and mugging/ car jack/ etc.....
    SmartCarry isn't the easiest to draw from while seated in a vehicle. That's one of the biggest downsides to that method of carry.

I sometimes wear a shoulder holster based on the belly band, but it may print a bit under a thin t-shirt. I've never worn the belly band by itself, so I can't comment on that option.

In your situation, I might lean toward pocket carry. If I went that route, I'd look for some pants with deep front pockets if I was going to be around others at my workplace. I'd also ask for a larger t-shirt to help conceal.

I don't know if you can wear any pants you want, but I saw some pants at Cabela's the other day that had a deep front pocket, and also another flapped pocket sewn in front of the front pocket. One could certainly hide a snubby or small auto in those.

Still, pocket draw won't be the easiest either when sitting in a vehicle. If you spend a lot of time in the vehicle, any chance you could transfer from your pocket to a fixed holster in the vehicle, or is that impossible due to making it visible to others?

Other options are IWB or ankle, but it all depends on your situation. Someone mentioned a clip, where a clip is screwed to your gun and it hooks to your waistband. I haven't tried those either, but some people like them. The downside to that method is it doesn't cover the trigger.

It sounds like you've got to get it right the first time. Maybe you can try a few options and practice around home or driving around after work.

That said, if you feel you need something right away before you can figure out the best way to carry, I'd still recommend the SmartCarry for an interim. One can draw from it while seated, but it's not easy. Arch your back, and commit. Easier without the seatbelt, but can be done with the belt on. Not the best method by far, but if you don't want to try another method until you feel comfortable with it, using a SC at least gives you a concealed gun on your person.

Consider that right now it's nearly impossible to get 380 ammo. In principle the LCP and similar are a good option, but I've owned mine for about six weeks and haven't shot it yet for lack of ammo. I'm not going to pay $60 a box on gunbroker and nobody local has it at any price, not even the expensive self defense ammo.

Links