Best .357 load for 340M&P?

This is a discussion on Best .357 load for 340M&P? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well my 340M&P finally came in after being on back order for like four months. Anyways I paid half of it off and will be ...

Thread: Best .357 load for 340M&P?

Best .357 load for 340M&P?

Well my 340M&P finally came in after being on back order for like four months. Anyways I paid half of it off and will be picking it up in about a weeks,and was wondering what the best .357 round is for this thing for self defense? I know obviously nothing full power but I was thinking along the lines of maybe the 125gr. Remington golden saber,110gr. Winchester white box hollow points ot their 145gr. silver tips.

So for those who carry .357's in their 340's can you recommend any other loads I may have forgotten? Thanks for any help guys.

2. Remove Ads

.38 Special Glaser Silvers.

VIP Member
    GoldDot 135gr .38spl +P. Designed for maximum performance from short barrels.

My EDC load when carrying a wheelgun.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

doubletap

Winchester .38 spec. 158gr. LSWCHP +P,
    yeah I am old school!

I currently carry the old 158 +P lead hollow point in my colt cobra its a a great load. For those here who have shot the lighter .357 loads in their 340's do you feel its painful to shoot? I've been shooting handguns for 10+ years now and its been my experiance that nothing is as bad as its made out to be in the recoil department. That said I realize this is no range gun,but I like the idea of .357 magnum power in a pocket revolver.

What would you say the 340M&P is comparible to in the recoil department? I've shot a .50 desert eagle,a.44 magnum S&W model 29 6" and a .454 ruger singale action. I didn't find the recoil of any of these to be the hand breaking,super painful experiace some lead me to think they were prior to shooting them. So is it likely I'm going to injure myself when I shoot my new gun next week,bearing in mind I'll be using .38 special standard and +P and the light .357 loads I've mentioned. Sorry for all the questions but I'm really excited about my new purchase.

Distinguished Member
    The only thing that hurts is my trigger finger while shooting it and about 4 weeks after shooting a box of 50 rounds of .38 +P 158 gr.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    CCI/Speer's loads that are specifically tailored for short barrels seem quite successful with the .38 revolvers used by some agencies/officers. I have seen the velocity data for the .357 load, and noticed that it is a quite mild magnum. I recently purchased a box, but have not yet shot any of it.

I still use mostly hotter stuff in my SP101 snubbies, either standard-pressure 125s or the mellower-pressure 145-grain Silvertips, because of proven track records of stopping bad people. But, of course, my all-stainless-steel SP101s are much heavier than your Airlite/Airweight, so I can only speculate what the recoil would be like. My Airweight is a .38, and 158-grain +P LHP is very tolerable. In the brief time I owned an Airlite J-snub, there was no tolerable +P load, unless I installed oversized rubber grips, and that would cancel the Airlite-vs.-Airweight weight advantage, and make it larger overall. A dealer wanted my Airlite, so I either sold or traded, not sure which.

The experience described in the above paragraph tells me there is a tremendous difference in recoil characteristics between a J-snub and an SP101, at least in my hands, so keep that in mind when I or anyone else recommends a short-barrel .357 load, and we/they use an SP101!

All else being equal, assuming recoil is tolerable, I would use the hottest load I can handle. Part of a .357's reputation for stopping power probably comes from the flash-bang effect going off in the bad guy's face. Retired LEO and occasional gun-writer Darryl Bolke has described the SP101 as "the hand-held flash-bang," and opined that the flash and blast are part of the .357's effectiveness. The snubby shooter, of course, has to train himself to disregard the flash and blast, in order for it to work for him, rather than against him. It is probably a good idea to have a .22 LR-chambered companion gun, as after firing a session of hot magnums, it is good to "cool down" with some .22s, to make sure you don't end the range session with any flinch.

To be clear, premium duty/carry ammo is now loaded with flash retardant in the powder, which helps preserve your night vision, while still delivering plenty of furious sound.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911luver View Post
    I currently carry the old 158 +P lead hollow point in my colt cobra its a a great load. For those here who have shot the lighter .357 loads in their 340's do you feel its painful to shoot? I've been shooting handguns for 10+ years now and its been my experiance that nothing is as bad as its made out to be in the recoil department. That said I realize this is no range gun,but I like the idea of .357 magnum power in a pocket revolver.

What would you say the 340M&P is comparible to in the recoil department? I've shot a .50 desert eagle,a.44 magnum S&W model 29 6" and a .454 ruger singale action. I didn't find the recoil of any of these to be the hand breaking,super painful experiace some lead me to think they were prior to shooting them. So is it likely I'm going to injure myself when I shoot my new gun next week,bearing in mind I'll be using .38 special standard and +P and the light .357 loads I've mentioned. Sorry for all the questions but I'm really excited about my new purchase.
    I do not think the pain involved with shooting .357 loads in your light weight pistol is the issue!

It is the lack of control,and extreme muzzleflash that I object to.

From here http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_De...FAQ/index.htm:

More information from Doctor Roberts: "With few exceptions, such as the Speer 135 gr +P JHP and Barnes XPB, the vast majority of .38 Sp JHP's fail to expand when fired from 2" barrels in the 4 layer denim test. [...] There is no reason to go with .357 mag in a J-frame, as the significantly larger muzzle blast and flash, and harsher recoil of the .357 Magnum does not result in substantially improved terminal performance compared to the more controllable .38 Special bullets when fired from 2” barrels."

Links