Sig P239?

Sig P239?

This is a discussion on Sig P239? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello everyone! I am thinking of purchasing a Sig P239 9mm and would like to hear from the people who own one, have owned one, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Sig P239?

Sig P239?

Hello everyone!
    I am thinking of purchasing a Sig P239 9mm and would like to hear from the people who own one, have owned one, or shot one. Please don't hold back. I want to hear the good and the bad(hopefully not a lot. Lol).
    Thanks in advance!

I have a 239 .40. I love this gun...it shoots great, feels good, and conceals easily. It's a tad heavier than some of the polymer guns out there, but it's not inconvenient to carry. The only thing I'd like better is more rounds like in a G26, but 7+1 should be adequate for any SD situation. Mine has night sights and was a bit pricey compared to some other guns ($850), but I'm completely satisfied with my 239 and would highly recommend it in any caliber.

Do it.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    I have, and carry, a P239 .40 cal DA/SA. I don't like the straight 8 sights, and have been saying for 2 years I'm going to change them, but then again I know I'd be better off drilling more on point shooting anyway.

Get the 239 if funds allow. You will not be sorry!

surv

I have shot one and have lots of other sig experience. I was really impressed w/the 239. Sweet trigger, very slim but pricey. The only thing I noticed was the rear sight paint was coming off and it was a relatively new gun.
    " Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master." George Washington

VIP Member
    I own a 239 in .40........I'm no longer in possession of it though...........My wife liked it so much that she appropriated it.

I was attracted to it because of how slim it is....making concealment easier. It shoots very well & is pretty accurate for such a short barrel.

I recently bought a Walther PPS to replace it......(my real aim is to get my 239 back & let the wife have the Walther!)
    Attached Images
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Thank you for all the responses so far! All seem to be pretty positive.

Depends on Your Intended Use

I currently own both a P239 Tactical 9mm and also a P229. All Sig Sauers are incredibly well-made (albeit expensive) and have wonderful reliability. Of the two that I have first hand experience with, I prefer the P229 for two primary reasons. The first is the weight/firepower ratio. The Sig P239 is certainly not light and because of its single stack design it only holds 8 rounds. My current CCW is a Glock 26 which is ten ounces lighter and has two extra rounds than the P239 in a much lighter package.

If I was to CCW one of my Sigs I find that the P229 is physically not much bigger at all and nearly the same weight, but has nearly double the capacity of the P239.

Second, I feel that the straight front edge of the grip on the P239 is not as comfortable as the P229 which has a more rounded grip. This is personal preference of course.

You absolutely cannot go wrong with a Sig Sauer; however, if I was only allowed to keep one . . . I would choose the P229 hands down.

BTW Both of my Sigs have the DA/SA SRT (Short Reset Trigger).
    Glock 26 9mm CCW - - S&W 642 Super Tuned - - Remington 870 18.5" 12GA 6+1

I wish the 239 was a bit more of a subcompact in dimensions. That said, IMO the new P239 SAS Gen2 with the SRT trigger is the way to go!
    .XX likes this.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

I've shot one that my friend owns a handful of times. It just never does it for me. Not a fan of how it feels in the hand, the trigger feel, or even how it looks. Plus, I'm not a fan of double action pistols. However, these are all very personal things. As far as how it shoots, well, it seems accurate enough. I was able to hit a bullseye at 25 yards a few times with a steady shot. Plus, Sig is obviously a well known name for quality...

I think as long as you like all of the things that I don't, you can't go wrong with it.

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    DO IT!

I just bought one and I love, love, LOVE it! Mine is a DAK, not a SA/DA though. I do have it in the 9mm, and it's an 8+1. I did a lot of very thorough research and shot anyone's gun I could get my paws on first, and I just absolutely fell in love with Sig's reputation and the way it feels in my hands. It's definitely a good fit for me, but I'm a 5'4" lady, so I'm on the smaller side. (I have long fingers though.) The recoil wasn't nearly what I thought it would be, which is why I like it, even when shooting my SD rounds (145-grain +P Hollow-points).

It did feel a little "flippier" than the Glock 26 double stack though, but I need a single-stack for easier concealment with my build.

Also, if you go to the website now through June 10th I believe, Sig is giving away a tactical flashlight and retention paddle holster with every new purchase, which is a nice incentive because Sigs are a bit on the pricier side, I'm told.

If you can get your hands on a buddy's and shoot for a little while at the range, you'll be hooked. I'm pretty sure that's what did it for me, except I started out with a 239 in .357-sig, I just went with the 9mm because I couldn't find any .357-sig ammo around here.

The ONLY TWO issue I had with it so far is that
    1)my 10-year-old son has a hard time with the force needed to pull the trigger, and I had to help him out a bit at the range. He's partial to the Walther .22 and the 10/22 Ruger rifle instead.
    2) it only came with one mag, I had to order 3 more. And the only place I could find any that were in stock was at CDNN. It ended up being just over $100 for 3 mags, which I wasn't thrilled about. But this is my primary carry (ok, as soon as the permit comes through) and you can't put a price on saving your life, can you?

Yes, definitely go with it, you won't regret it.
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Oops, I forgot: get the Siglite night sights if you can. They are awesome!
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

I have a Glock 26 and a P239 9mm and there is three oz. difference between the two when both are loaded to capacity with 147gr.HST,

I like the Sig better than the Glock!
    I find that I can conceal the thinner Sig a little easier under light clothing,and there is something about all metal construction,and a hammer,that just give me a warm fuzzy feeling!

The 229 is a fine pistol,but not as comfortable for all day carry as the 239 is ,in a good IWB rig.

The 239 is as reliable as the sun,and shoots like a rifle,Buy it!

It's a nice gun.

...T. Ray

Clarification on Capacity/Weight

Quote Originally Posted by roadrash View Post
    I have a Glock 26 and a P239 9mm and there is three oz. difference between the two when both are loaded to capacity with 147gr.
    When "loaded to capacity" there may only be a 3-4 oz difference, but keep in mind that the Sig holds 8+1 and the Glock 26 holds 10+1 so with a pistol that is more than three ounces lighter you get 22% more firepower (round capacity).

I own both and enjoy shooting both, but the OP wanted to know about the P239 and I was simply illustrating that it is fairly heavy for the amount of rounds you will have on board due to the single stack design.
    Glock 26 9mm CCW - - S&W 642 Super Tuned - - Remington 870 18.5" 12GA 6+1

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links