Smith & Wesson CS9 Chiefs Special 9mm--for my wife

This is a discussion on Smith & Wesson CS9 Chiefs Special 9mm--for my wife within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This holiday weekend my wife and I went down to Atlant to visit her parents and so we could have some free babysitting. So, finding ...

Thread: Smith & Wesson CS9 Chiefs Special 9mm--for my wife

This holiday weekend my wife and I went down to Atlant to visit her parents and so we could have some free babysitting.

So, finding a gun that will have to stay in our home..Illinois does not allow their honest citizens to carry...criminals are another story. Anyway, I told her this afternoon I was heading to Adventure Outdoors to look for some .45 ammo...and looked at the pistols they have. I saw a smith and wesson cs9 that I thought she would ask. She wasn't that excited, but I just asked her to hold several pistols and see which one fit her the best...

She looked at several pistols...she doesn't like the fit of any glock and turned her nose at some of the glocks. To top heavy for her.
    Then we looked at the Ruger sp101 and liked it, but didn't like the DA pull..to heavy she says.

Then she picks up the Smith & Wesson CS9 Chiefs Special 9mm and says this fits...pulls the trigger and likes the DA pull. So I ask the clerk and he quotes me a price of 349.00. The Ruger was 469.00 and the glocks were all in the 5-600 dollar range.

We leave the store and talk about the pro's and con's of the 357 vs the 9mm. I go read that this weapon handles just fine 115, 124 and 147 grain ball ammo. It also handles all the +P ammo from all the reviews I've read. My wife asks me what is better for self defense and I tell her that the .357 would be great, but she doesn't like the recoil of the .357 and can handle the 9mm.

So she tells me that she wants the chiefs special 9mm!! I have her father go and put it in layaway and he can give it to her as a "gift."

I hate Illinois, and love the gun laws in Georgia. Here is a picture from Buds Gun shop...identical to my wife's gun.

how do you post pictures???

I'd love to find a CS9 for $349. If it's reliable and in decent shape, that's a good price.

I hope your wife is serious about self-protection and not just going along with it for your sake. I hope she'll be serious about it when you are not around.

Sorry, can't help you with posting pictures. My computer's flashdrive ports don't work, and I forgot how to post pictures with a working computer.

Grady,

I see your from or near st. louis. What part? I live in Alton, IL...anyway this gun was a police trade in and a beautiful weapon. Awesome weapon...in great shape and since there was three of them I chose the best looking one.

Looking forward to it...to bad I had to come to Georgia to find my wife a weapon. Also, she is serious about protecting her children...and she wants to learn how to use the weapon. In fact, she would be more than happy taking a gun course.

NH1

Quote Originally Posted by newhunter1 View Post
    Grady,

I see your from or near st. louis. What part? I live in Alton, IL...anyway this gun was a police trade in and a beautiful weapon. Awesome weapon...in great shape and since there was three of them I chose the best looking one.

Looking forward to it...to bad I had to come to Georgia to find my wife a weapon. Also, she is serious about protecting her children...and she wants to learn how to use the weapon. In fact, she would be more than happy taking a gun course.

NH1
    Good for your wife for being serious.

I'm in St. Peters, not too far from Alton. We've been there before, but I don't travel to Illinois anymore due to the gun laws (no offense).

Wow, I'd love to have the pick of 3 CS9's. Was it a gun shop selling them?

Senior Member Array kahrcarrier's Avatar
    I like S&W semi-autos.

I think the Chief's Special semis were under-appreciated.

The CS9 was my wife's all-time favorite gun. She sold it several years ago, and I've looked for one to come along ever since to replace it.

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Is that CS9 used? That's a GREAT price.
    For God, Family and Country!

Quote Originally Posted by newhunter1 View Post
    This holiday weekend my wife and I went down to Atlant to visit her parents and so we could have some free babysitting.

So, finding a gun that will have to stay in our home..Illinois does not allow their honest citizens to carry...criminals are another story. Anyway, I told her this afternoon I was heading to Adventure Outdoors to look for some .45 ammo...and looked at the pistols they have. I saw a smith and wesson cs9 that I thought she would ask. She wasn't that excited, but I just asked her to hold several pistols and see which one fit her the best...

She looked at several pistols...she doesn't like the fit of any glock and turned her nose at some of the glocks. To top heavy for her.
    Then we looked at the Ruger sp101 and liked it, but didn't like the DA pull..to heavy she says.

Then she picks up the Smith & Wesson CS9 Chiefs Special 9mm and says this fits...pulls the trigger and likes the DA pull. So I ask the clerk and he quotes me a price of 349.00. The Ruger was 469.00 and the glocks were all in the 5-600 dollar range.

We leave the store and talk about the pro's and con's of the 357 vs the 9mm. I go read that this weapon handles just fine 115, 124 and 147 grain ball ammo. It also handles all the +P ammo from all the reviews I've read. My wife asks me what is better for self defense and I tell her that the .357 would be great, but she doesn't like the recoil of the .357 and can handle the 9mm.

So she tells me that she wants the chiefs special 9mm!! I have her father go and put it in layaway and he can give it to her as a "gift."

I hate Illinois, and love the gun laws in Georgia. Here is a picture from Buds Gun shop...identical to my wife's gun.

how do you post pictures???
    Defensive Carry Picture Posting Help
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

the place where I found the pistol is called Adventures Outdoors. It is a used pistol that was a police trade in...a BUG I suppose.

That's a great price. The CS9 is an underappreciated gun, but the people who know about them really seem to like them. Over on the Smith-WessonForum.com website, there is a gentleman who sells thinner plastic grips for the CS9. You may want to look into those if the rubberized OEM grips are too wide for your wife.

TMann

Links