FN Five seveN

This is a discussion on FN Five seveN within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This gun seems like it wold be a lot of fun at the range, and I will probably pick one up for that reason. Ammo ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FN Five seveN

FN Five seveN

This gun seems like it wold be a lot of fun at the range, and I will probably pick one up for that reason. Ammo is a bit expensive and difficult to find, but manageable. My question though...

Is this gun effective for Defensive Use with the civilian ammo that is allowed to be purchased?
    SA XD-45ACP
    Glock G36
    Bersa Thunder .380
    Ruger LCR
    SIG P250 Full Size and SC 9mm

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    I personally would consider this gun to be dangerous as a self defense carry gun. It is a rifle in a pistol sized package but does not have the accuracy of a rifle. Very small, very fast bullet, carry's a long way.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    The 5.7 is indeed a lot of fun. It's a pretty unique pistol in many ways. I really dislike caliber wars, and so my personal opinion is that any firearms is lethal and therefore suitable for defense. The FN 5.7 is no different. Ballistic tests have convinced me that I don't want one aimed at me.

Ammo has been one of the few calibers I've seen available and the prices have stayed stable as opposed to most any other.

The pistol itself is very well made, quite robust, as a well publicized double load incident showed. Accuracy is very good. Recoil is mild, about the same as some of my .32acp pistols.

The report is very loud and the muzzle flash can be cannonesque.

The 20 and 30 round mags make range time fun. I do wish the trigger were a bit better...I term it as "spongy". The sights are good. The gun stays very clean and is a snap to maintain. I haven't figured out the hidden hammer rationale .

With the .45 and 9mm and several others, this is more a survival weapon than one used for SD.
    The trajectory is supposedly almost 'flat' for a 100 yards...a lot of power for 3-5 yard confrontations...IMHO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Inadequate penetration with any available bullet. Request the test data from FN. Our PD ruled them out for duty use very quickly.

I got to attend their armorer school and, given that inside look, I wouldn't buy one. Well, I won't buy another one. I have one from when they first came out.

The day I came back from the armorer school I removed the magazine disconnect. :)

Randy

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    The FivenSeven is a military combat arm. It is designed to be used against armored targets as a companion sidearm to the P90. Even with the civilian rounds they are a little to much for CC engagements IMO. As to everything else it seems a fine weapon, I personally would love one.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

I like the round, but only in the PS90, which is an absolute hoot to shoot. Nice little weapon for shorter range (<100 yards) defense, but for a handgun, I'd stick with something that starts with a "4".

FN makes some very nice stuff though.

Favorites: "If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a soldier."
    Admiral Gary Roughead, CNO: "I never, ever, want to see my sailors or Marines in a fair fight."

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    I personally would consider this gun to be dangerous as a self defense carry gun. It is a rifle in a pistol sized package but does not have the accuracy of a rifle. Very small, very fast bullet, carry's a long way.
    Do you carry a gun that's not dangerous?

I have a FN5.7 and a AR57 upper both are absolute fun to shoot I would not have any trouble carrying the pistol for self defense.

sorry to chime in a bit late but

Civilian rounds at the range would be a blast, half the recoil of a 9mm. The real stuff on the shelf for when times get real tough, and 20 rounds.

I'd love to have the Five Seven Tactical version.

I do agree however that the 5.7x28mm moving at 2,050fps is a bit much for a 3 to 7 yard confrontation, not for the BG of course, but for the 4 or 5 innocent people behind them.

IMHO
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    ----------------------------------
    "Let a man never stir on his road a step
    without his weapons of war;
    for unsure is the knowing when need shall arise
    of a spear on the way without."

It is a neat gun...about the size of a full size glock...has 20 round mags and a nice effective range, and it is an FN. However, I don't think I would use it as a SD weapon. These weapons have been villified in the press as "cop killers" and "body armor penetrators" we all know they are not evil. That however would not stop and eager prosecutor and or uneducated LE agency from trying to fry your bacon in front of 12 of your peers. There are some leather makers making CC rigs for them, but at most it would be a HD gun or Range gun for me.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    It's definitely a fun range gun. I only got off a few rounds, but from those few, I wouldn't personally use it as my EDC gun for SD. It's certainly effective, but I carry with the idea that if I am ever in a SHTF situation, it will be at closer range than this big boy needs. Definitely loud, and like HavOkSIS said above, I'd be more worried about the 4 or 5 folks behind the BG at that distance.

But if you want an excuse to get one, I say go for it, and have a ton of fun at the range! :)
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

I personally will not shoot one. A member here had one blow up in his hand, using factory ammunition, and for me they are not safe.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackle1886 View Post
    I personally will not shoot one. A member here had one blow up in his hand, using factory ammunition, and for me they are not safe.
    Can you post a link to that? The only problem I've seen was a verified re-load with a double powder charge.

Some of you are under the impression the round has from some great overpenetration properties...
    but for the 4 or 5 innocent people behind them.
    The test I've seen show this to be not the case.
    Normal civilian round,
    SS195 FMJ and SS197 ballistic tip (bare and heavy clothing)

and again through body armour,
    Brass Fetcher Ballistic testing

If there are other tests available that demonstrate something different, please post the links. I'd be very interested.

5.7x28 ammo is quite easy to find here... vs 5.56 anyway.
    AT3 (O-Level) United States Navy - NRA Life Member
    "Molan labe! Just try... I'll show you the strength of my conviction... and I'll sleep well that night..."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links