To Plug or Not to Plug?

This is a discussion on To Plug or Not to Plug? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have my Glock 23 that I pickup at a gun show a few weeks back, and my wife got me new sights today for ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: To Plug or Not to Plug?

To Plug or Not to Plug?

I have my Glock 23 that I pickup at a gun show a few weeks back, and my wife got me new sights today for my B-DAY. So I went to a few gun stores today to get me a new holster and a "PLUG" for the magazine well. Both gun stores, asked me why I would want to get a "PLUG" for my Glock? Both recommended I go without the plug!

Pros for No PLUG:

1. The gap in the handle assist with magazine removal.
    2. The gap in the handle assist with a malfunction (like a double feed) with magazine removal.

Pros for a PLUG:

1. Keeps dirt out of handle.
    2. Keeps hand gun from get hung-up during holster withdraw.

So what does everyone recommend and why?

R/S Lego

2. Remove Ads

No plug. Being able to "Rip-Rack-Reload" is a tremendous improvement over having to lock the slide back to clear a double feed.

I hadn't even thought of it until I just field stripped my G32. I didn't realize it was actually open all through the back of the grip. Not sure that I see the need for the plug though.

The only reason I have ever seen for getting a plug is to get a weighted plug.
    Dave

"When among wild beasts, if they menace you, be a wild beast."
    -Herman Melville

No plug for me. If dirt gets in the handle I clean it. Mostly just a little dust or lint that can be wiped out easily. And I haven't experienced any problems with taking the gun out of my holster.

If Gaston had intended that hole to be plugged, there would be no hole in the first place!
    NRA Endowment Member
    GOA Life Member

I've put a plug in all of my Glocks. Matter of fact, I've given some Glock plugs away to members here. If you're going to use a lanyard, I'd recommend against it. If you can't eject the magazine full or empty, or remove it from pulling on the sides of the base of the magazine...then there's a problem. Could be you, or the equipment. The back of the Glock grip is rather thin, and a plug might give some added strength in that area if your pistol should get dropped, and might avoid fracturing there. Other than that, it's pretty much an aesthetic patch for smooth lines and look. Or.....it could hold an extra handcuff key. Besides that....it's just a hole, and I'm a firm believer that most holes need to be filled.

I bought a plug and am awaiting its arrival. How hard is it to remove once installed? I'll need to remove it for GSSF matches.
    NRA, IDPA, GSSF & GSSA member
    Certified Glock Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by drs1457 View Post
    I bought a plug and am awaiting its arrival. How hard is it to remove once installed? I'll need to remove it for GSSF matches.
    No plug is necessary. As for storage of an extra handcuff key, if you're in need of one, I doubt seariously you'll have a firearm on ya, well, maybe if you are LEO but then, others will be there too.

Plugs are not hard to remove for shooting in GSSF and welcome to the game. Hope to see ya around.

There does seem to be a good amount of dust that can find it's way into the handle strap area (that's what I call it) between cleaning but it is a very easy job to keep it clean. I carry every day, and the dust level let's me know when I need to clean and inspect the barrel and chamber area of my EDC for fuzzies too.
    Certified Glock Armorer

I use a plug in mine
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

I plug my Glocks...no reason not to.
    It can actually 'assist' in inserting a mag...looks better (it finishes off the pistol grip...OMO, and Gaston suggested that I do it. (OK, OK, the last one is .)
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I have one in all of my Glocks, makes inserting a magazine easier, no edge to hang up on. Mine are plain, but if you search, they make one that has an armorer's punch built in, weighted ones, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    No plug. Being able to "Rip-Rack-Reload" is a tremendous improvement over having to lock the slide back to clear a double feed.
    I agree. This was taught to me during a defensive pistol class. Without a plug there's a little extra room for your thumb to get some leverage if for some reason the magazine were to become jammed.

I don't understand the comment about the gun getting hung up during holster withdraw when left unplugged.

As for dust collecting in there, a) So what? It's just a hollow void that doesn't connect to the gun's internals, and b) You could actually use it as a "tell-tale" indicating your gun needs cleaning, as H8SPVMT pointed out.
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

If you like the look of it, punch it in there, get a file and trim the edge.

Hold the pistol in your hand, tap the rear top of magazine into the well, you have an extra half inch of added surface to use. Makes for slicker mag; change.

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    Presently I have two Glocks and both have plugs.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links