Colt Police Positive 32 Need Info

This is a discussion on Colt Police Positive 32 Need Info within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi guys, This Colt Police Positive has been in my family for quite a while. It was originally carried by my grandmother in the 1940's ...

Thread: Colt Police Positive 32 Need Info

Hi guys,
    This Colt Police Positive has been in my family for quite a while. It was originally carried by my grandmother in the 1940's or 50's and then was passed down to my father who carried it on duty during a short stint as a LEO. He had it nickel-plated in the 60's and then passed it on to me about ten years ago. It has been sitting in the safe for about a decade. The last time it was fired was in the 80's and we have not had ammunition for it for about that long.

Could someone tell me some specifics about the type of ammunition this revolver uses? I have been told that the ammo is .32 Long and is no longer in production, but I did not fully trust the source of the information.

Also, how would I go about verifying the exact date of manufacture? Any other info you guys can provide about this revolver would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Glock 26 9mm CCW - - S&W 642 Super Tuned - - Remington 870 18.5" 12GA 6+1

I don't remember right off if the cartridge is the same as the .32 s&w, the .32 s&w long, or the .32 short Colt but Winchester lists a load for all three in the current catalog. I'm stuck at work and don't have access to my books, but I think it will chamber the .32 Short and .32 Long Colt as well as the .32 S&W. I think.

.32 short Colt

VIP Member
    Nice looking Colt

VIP Member
    Nice + it's got Family history. E-mail Colt.

VIP Member
    This may help:

.32 Colt Police Positive Special

What makes my particular example “Special” is that it is chambered for the .32 Colt New Police Cartridge. This is the politically correct name for the .32 Smith and Wesson Long when chambered in a Colt. Colt did this - both with the .32 and the .38 Special - named them the “Colt New Police” to avoid advertising the Smith and Wesson developments. The Police Positive Special will fire the old .32 S&W cartridge as well as the Long and will not do at all well with the old .32 Colt and Long Colt Cartridges. These rounds use the same nominal .312-313 bullet that are of the full case diameter, heeled variety like the modern .22 rimfires. Firing them in 32 S&W Long chambers will over expand the smaller cases ripping them from Dan to Beersheba in the process. The .32 S&W and S&W Long cases are too large to fit in the older Long Colt chambers. This is a good thing.

Nice gun!

That is really a neat pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by SaddleSC View Post
    Also, how would I go about verifying the exact date of manufacture? Any other info you guys can provide about this revolver would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Open the cylinder and look at the forward portion that swings away. You will see the serial number there. Head over to the following site, select double-action revolvers, and then select your model (Police Positive .32). You can find the year your revolver was made that way.

By the way, you've given me an idea for my Official Police -- get it nickel plated!

Serial Number Data

Awesome Web Site

Thanks so much for the info on the serial number. That web site is great. I just checked my serial # against the data and it looks like the pistol was manufactured in 1937!! Wow. 72 Years Old. Thanks again.
    Glock 26 9mm CCW - - S&W 642 Super Tuned - - Remington 870 18.5" 12GA 6+1

Umm, that's quite an old gun, with an uncertain past; it may have been fired with corrosive ammo and may not be safe.
    In the interest of serving my fellow shooters, I'll be willing to take it off your hands for a small fee ... very small ... just ship it to me with a fifty dollar bill and I'll guarantee it a good home and excellent care!
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

Just glad to be able to help!

Reg

Links