Walther PPS vs. Kahr P9

Walther PPS vs. Kahr P9

This is a discussion on Walther PPS vs. Kahr P9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm in the mood for a new CCW. I'm currently carrying a Glock 36, but find it a little too thick for light t-shirt weather. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Walther PPS vs. Kahr P9

Walther PPS vs. Kahr P9

I'm in the mood for a new CCW. I'm currently carrying a Glock 36, but find it a little too thick for light t-shirt weather. I have held both of these, but shot neither. Looking for input from you guys that have experience with these. Both are relatively close in price to me. Give me some feedback if you have had/shot these or know someone that has. I've heard really good things about the PPS, and mixed opinions about the Kahr. Mags seem expensive for the PPS though. Even though I will be carrying in a custom IWB holster, hows the availability of off the shelf holsters (Galco,Fobus,Blackhawk)?
    Glock 27
    Para LTC 1911
    Kel Tec P-3AT
    Ruger LCP

I shot a 9mm PPS. I rented it at the range because I am also considering buying one.

It fired well although it did jam a few times. To avoid the jamming issues the forums on ppstalk.com recommend that you clean and keep the moving parts well lubed to avoid those problems. I suspect that was the issue with the one I was shooting since it was a rental and probably not cleaned as meticulously as a personal firearm usually is.

Either of the 2 are good guns, I have shot both plenty of times, just stay away from cheap ammo. Easier said than done in this economy. Good luck with your choice.

Distinguished Member
    Good thread, like you I am interested in the PPS, but have read enough negative reports on Kahr it is not on my list, even though I know there are alot of good ones out there, I just don't trust my luck. For me its between the PPS and Glock 26 and like you again, it is thicker. I have held the PPS and it feels like a toy to me, but if it works than that's OK. I am looking for something to take the place of my 642 that I carry IWB.

The Kahr's track record has me spooked too. I like that the PPS has an accessory rail, and is very thin. The mag release will take some getting use to also. My biggest concern, is the sights. I want to put the XS Big Dot sights on my carry gun. The PPS has a front sight that is held in place by a screw that you get to under the slide. Not sure who all makes aftermarket sights for it. The Kahr should be easier to change the sights on since it is dovetailed front/back.
    Glock 27
    Para LTC 1911
    Kel Tec P-3AT
    Ruger LCP

I thought all of the bad press was about the PM9? As far as I know the P9 has a pretty clean reputation.

I own a Kahr MK9 and I absolutely love it. It functions flawlessly and the workmanship is top notch. I have no experience with any Walther models but I thought I would share what I have with Kahrs.
    Dave

"When among wild beasts, if they menace you, be a wild beast."
    -Herman Melville

Check out for yourself the PPS magazine. It pinched my hand when I tried to load it. There are tabs that stick up, and it was painful. Enough to steer me away.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackle1886 View Post
    Check out for yourself the PPS magazine. It pinched my hand when I tried to load it. There are tabs that stick up, and it was painful. Enough to steer me away.
    I did look at one Saturday at Bud's. I popped the mag out a few times to see how I liked the mag release, but never pinched my hand. I wish they didn't have that bulky baseplate on them.
    Glock 27
    Para LTC 1911
    Kel Tec P-3AT
    Ruger LCP

I put a PPS on lay-awaya few weeks back. I can't wait to get it out. As for the P-9 Kahr it to is a fine weapon I have four Kahrs a PM-9, P-40, MK-9 and a K-40 never had a problem with any of them if I could find a good deal on a P-9 and or a P-45 I would probably pick up one of each.

I've been carrying my PPS since March and I love it. I carry it in a CTAC and it's both comfortable and damn near invisible. On the down side, I have had a too high number of identical failures at the range, but I think the most likely culprit was user error (limp wristing, I'm a newb). The last time I went to the range I really concentrated on my grip and put about 150 through it with no problems. I've put up to 200 through it with no problems.

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    I am a PPS true-believer. I own both calibers and both are absolutely flawless. I agree with one of the other posters who commented that the PPS disappears under clothing. German engineering and near perfect ergos have me endorsing the PPS. You won't regret buying one (or two)

Distinguished Member Array mathewsman's Avatar
    i would go with the kahr i loved my p45 and i have shot the 9mm and the 40 and liked both they are small and light and never had a problem with them
    NRA sence 2003 Colt defender Taurus .357 mag
    Taurus tcp x box gamer tag mathewsman

Most all the Kahr issues were found in the early generation of the pm9 model, and have been taken care of. Problems in the Walther line are not unheard of, just look at the current ppk issues. I find the care easy to carry and easy to fire. It's not an all day plinker, but if that was what you want get a full size gun. I think the 9 and 45 are great guns, but the 40 has to much muzzle flip.

just my .02
    "The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us." Patrick Henry 1775

Vegetarian: Indian for inept hunter.

I have had the PPS since last July. I haven't had any issues, although my wife at first was limp wristing it and she would have FTF or catch a stove pipe once in a blue moon. Besides that I love it!

Quote Originally Posted by KYmxracer52 View Post
    The mag release will take some getting use to also.
    the mag release is amazing in my opinion Walther hit it right when they went to their new mag releases near impossible to eject a mag when you don't want to

Quote Originally Posted by KYmxracer52 View Post
    My biggest concern, is the sights. I want to put the XS Big Dot sights on my carry gun. The PPS has a front sight that is held in place by a screw that you get to under the slide. Not sure who all makes aftermarket sights for it. The Kahr should be easier to change the sights on since it is dovetailed front/back.
    I know you can actually get Big Dot sights for the P99 so I would assume you could get them for the PPS the sites are quite simple to change too just pop the screw out pull the site off put the screw back in :D ok not quite as simple as others, but how often does one actually change sites?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links