Sigmas?

This is a discussion on Sigmas? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; S&W Sigma in 9mm .40? Are these ok?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sigmas?

Sigmas?

S&W Sigma in 9mm .40?

Are these ok?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    I have never owned one, but I'd be a little leary of trusting my life to one. I have heard bad things about them. Save an extra $200 and buy a Glock.

VIP Member
    The general consensus is that they have crummy triggers but are otherwise reliable. Some folks say that the newer guns have "nicer" triggers. Nicer being a relative term.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

The old ones had some issues, so don't buy anything that does not say SW9VE, or SW40VE.

The "VE" was the new version and they are very solid pistols. Mine has been dead on reliable, and so has my buddy's. The Afgan army freedom forces, fighting for the US against terror was issued 40,000 of them from S&W called the "Allied Forces" edition which are all black. They have a much nicer trigger too, it is not overly hard like the old ones. I like my SW9VE AF edition as much as many other more expensive pistols.

As far as guns under $500, IMO there is not a better one than the Sigma.

reliable gun, lame trigger.

Shoot it at the range and figure out whether or not you like it. I did and ended up buying a stoeger cougar 9mm instead.

Quote Originally Posted by ErikGr7 View Post
    S&W Sigma in 9mm .40?

Are these ok?
    Sure they are ok.

They go boom when you pull the trigger. I don't like the trigger at all, but folks I know that have them have learned to adjust to the trigger.

Are there pistols that are nicer, yep. Are there pistols that may not have had as many issues in the past, yep. Is the Sigma worth the 250 to 300 bucks you can get them for, sure.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by ErikGr7 View Post
    S&W Sigma in 9mm .40?

Are these ok?

I've heard nothing bad about them , but if you can , hold one and then
    pick up a S&W M&P9 or M&P9C.
    The difference in the two guns is quality you can really feel, yes the
    M&P cost more ,but if money is not a problem don't short yourself
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

I have an Allied Forces version in 9mm. The VE is one of the most underrated weapons on the market. I definitely trust my life to mine loaded with any 147 gr JHP. Once you become accustomed to the hard trigger pull, it is reliable and accurate. I can hit center mass at 25 yards. I also like the mag capacity and I usually carry mine as a BUG.

The early Sigmas had problems, but S&W has resolved those issues with the VE's.

There is nothing wrong with the trigger. It was not designed to be a "hair trigger" or a "competition trigger". Man up, give it a firm squeeze and BANG it goes. Mine has been absolutely reliable for nearly two years and is , even though not a competition shooter, very accurate.

I have one, reliable pistol and crappy trigger. I did my own (accepting full responsibility and not officially advocating it) trigger job to reduce the trigger pull.

Once I removed the spring that increases trigger pull it is now a very nice pistol, especially since I got it with $250 after rebates and gift card, plus 2 free 14 rd. mags.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Carry one 60% of time 9mm great defence gun point & shoot feels natural !! PS GET THE ALLIED FORCE IF POSSIBLE all black
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

My buddy has one in .40. He considered trading it due to the (heavy) trigger pull but I convinced him that it is a great HD / spare gun and he should keep it. They would not give him very much on the trade so he kept it.

That aside, it is a great gun for the $$$. The long heavy pull is the only thing I can knock it for.
    2A is not negotiable

For what it is, it is a GREAT gun. It shares alot with the Glocks and in my opinion, shares a Glocks reliability and durability to shoot and keep shooting no matter what. It will eat any ammo and asks for seconds.

What it doesn't share with the Glock (and the reason I sold my Glocks and now carry a Sigma) is the grip angle and thickness. It's angled more like a 1911 and with thumb rests on both sides make this the most comfortable grip that I've held in a long time (my personal opinion).

The only bad thing you hear about the Sigma is related to the trigger, mainly how heavy and grainy it is. The grainy feeling goes away with lots of shooting (if you have this gun, you will want to do lots of shooting because it is so much fun to shoot) and I personally like the heavy trigger pull, it feels like a heavy double action.

What you have to realize with this pistol is that it's a personal defense weapon like a Glock. If I'm in a shooting I'm going to be pulling that trigger as hard as I can. I'm not going to be noticing if it's a "little grainy and a little harder to pull than a Glock".

My only complaints on the Sigma are there are no front slide grooves and the lack of holster options. It can be somewhat hard to find a holster for it and with me being left handed, just adds to the problem. Kholster, Crossbreed and Don Hume do make holsters for it.

All in all, you will get a reliable, accurate pistol that you can easily trust your life to.
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

Great gun

I sold my XD because it was too bulky and I needed some cash. I did however want a fullsize 9mm around so I picked one up for $275 and I would recommend it to anyone.

I can knock the center of a target completly out at 7yds and only have a few strays....no different than any other gun I have ever owned..and that has been a lot.

It has never had a failure to feed in several hundred rounds of crap ball and has a natural aim.

Very under-rated, and I am happy I got it.

Great gun, trigger is heavy 8-10 pounds, but for self defense gun its perfectly fine, lets say it isnt going to go off by accident.

I had one on loan and loved it but my GF couldnt manage the trigger pull.

Ended up getitng a PT99, and later on a Glock.

If $$$ is an issue go for the Sigma, if $$$ are not an issue get a G19.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Evil prevails when good men stand by and do nothing
    --------------------------------------------------------------

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links