ruger p95 or S&W chief 9mm

This is a discussion on ruger p95 or S&W chief 9mm within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, I found a s&w cs9 for 349.00 at a local gun store here in Georgia. My in-laws decided to get a home security system ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ruger p95 or S&W chief 9mm

ruger p95 or S&W chief 9mm

Ok, I found a s&w cs9 for 349.00 at a local gun store here in Georgia. My in-laws decided to get a home security system because in the last week they were broken into back to back days.

Now I have been on a quest to get my wife a pistol she not only likes but will shoot...found one at a gun store here in Atlanta for 349.00.

Now fast forward to today...the security salesman figured out that I was into guns and asked if I wanted to buy his ruger p95, 2 mags, mag loader, and around 90rounds for 250.00.

My question is this...how reliable is this weapon vs. the Smith and Wesson cs9 Chiefs special?

The SW is a single stack 9mm that holds 6 or 7 rounds while I'm assuming that ruger holds 13-15 rounds. Guy says he fires 124 grain +P rounds out of the gun...however, my wife likes the fit of the SW. If she likes the ruger better than that's what I'll get her...this is a HD weapon as we don't have concealed carry in Illinois.

Her father is actually buying the SW and will give it to his daughter as a gift...and yes she will have her FOID card soon.

If I go the SW route I'll check to make sure that we transfer it legally, but I want to make I don't get into any trouble buying from a private citizen.

2. Remove Ads

I own a p95DAO... built like a tank...never had a jam...tough as nails, but maybe not the best gun for every one...? trigger pull is like 15lbs and very long...
    Last edited by thylordjj; May 26th, 2009 at 05:08 PM.

I have the ruger- one of the best guns I own, more reliable then my glock.

Don't know much about that particular Smith auto...but that Ruger is built like a Swiss vault. I look at S&W as A REVOLVER COMPANY and purchase their products accordingly. Old School, I know, but that's my TWO CENTS!! Go for the Ruger!
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Ok maybe against the grain here. I have a 3913 which I think is similar to a CS9. I would highly recommend it. Its accurate, reliable, and easy to conceal. Most importantly you said its for her and you said she likes the way it feels that. I would rather buy here something she likes to begin with she is more likely to use it.

Have heard GREAT things about the 3913....there are exceptions to ALL rules.
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

If your wife likes the Smith more and will shoot it more, I'd get her the 3913. IMO though, I like the p95 better.
    " Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master." George Washington

I can't comment regarding the Smith (as I don't own one), but my P95dc now has over 4,500 rounds through it without a single failure (It's one of my all time favorites) . I would personally take the $250 deal in a heartbeat (even if your wife doesn't like it, I bet you will) .
    ‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’

— Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by BuckJM53 View Post
    I can't comment regarding the Smith (as I don't own one), but my P95dc now has over 4,500 rounds through it without a single failure (It's one of my all time favorites) . I would personally take the $250 deal in a heartbeat (even if your wife doesn't like it, I bet you will) .
    I would too...however we cannot afford to buy the 250.00 ruger and the 350.00 SW. Just cannot make 600.00 to buy two guns at this time. However, if I don't buy the ruger here I can post this guys contact information for those of you near Marietta, Ga.

More than likely...since my wife likes the SW I probably go that route even though it is 100.00 more. If Illinois ever gets a ccw law then she can easily conceal that gun...plus I have my rock island .45 that is very easy to conceal.

I used to have a ruger but sold it...loved it then...now looking at the sp100 or sp101 as my next purchase gun for me.

If she thinks she'll like the S&W more then get her that its her gun so let her decide. If she likes it she'll be more willing to practice with it. That said I'm a Ruger fan boy I'd jump on that $250 in a heart beat specially since my neighbor is looking into a ruger 9mm like the p95dc we already own. and its a 15+1 if i remember correctly. Happy choosing

CAN'T go wrong with either both great gun GOOD LUCK H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

As with some other posters, I can't comment on the S&W, but I have a Ruger P95 that has never failed to feed, fire, or extract using a variety of 9mm ammo.

Zeko

Here is my update. My wife and I have spoken about this in detail and we have decided to go with the ruger. It is a newer one with the picanny rail so that is good as I can put a light or laser on...I think a flashlight will be a better choice. Also, it holds twice as many rounds as the chief. However, I may have to work out a deal with my FIL and still get the chief as a BUG.

Sometimes not being able to make decisions is tough...can't decide on which one to buy...buy both of them...at least I will try.

Also, a big decision is that since my wife does not want to ccw then this is going to have to be a bed gun. Makes better sense as this will hold more rounds. Plus my wife has her shotgun that is loaded with #2 buckshot.

The Smith is a darn good gun. Buy it.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Oh well...the seller and I looked up the ATF rules and he cannot sell to me as someone who does not reside in his state. Stange though I told him two days ago I was an Illinois resident. He was more than happy to do it then until I told him I needed a bill of sale for my state.

Oh well...better safe than sorry for both of us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links