Is this SIG P229 worth it? After-market finishing job

This is a discussion on Is this SIG P229 worth it? After-market finishing job within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; (Sorry, no pics. A description is all I can do.) A lgs has a used SIG P229 in .40 for sale. It's an oddball because ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this SIG P229 worth it? After-market finishing job

VIP Member

(Sorry, no pics. A description is all I can do.)

A lgs has a used SIG P229 in .40 for sale. It's an oddball because the frame has been after-market finished to look like stainless, yet the slide is still black. I don't know how the finish will hold up, or what it will do to its resale value. Here are some details:

• The lgs sold it to the previous owner 7-8 years ago as an all-black gun, and recently got it back with the frame now having the SS? finishing job. My assumption is the buyer was the original owner.
    • Slide made in America. I don't know about the frame.
    • No rail.
    • Frame SS finish job looks perfect, inside and out.
    • Black slide is 99%.
    • Trigger and hammer also SS or chrome, I forgot what the mag release is.
    • Bar/dot sights, no night sights.
    • No rough or noticeable wear spots inside slide or on rails.
    • Feedramp looks to have been polished. Maybe all SIGs look like that--I don't know.
    • Inside of gun is immaculate, and well lubed.
    • Some inside parts appear to be SS or chrome. Again, I don't know what's normal for SIG internals.
    • Comes with 2 10-round mags, plus one more with more capacity but I couldn't read the scribble.
    • Not a CPO.
    • Unknown history other than the same owner for 7-8 years.
    • $500

If I purchased and liked this gun, it would be for carry. If I didn't like it, I wouldn't keep it.

I'm concerned about the durability of the finish job and the potential lower value if trading in.

I've never dealt with an after-market finish job, so I'm not sure how they hold up.

The reason I'm interested in this particular one is used SIG's around here aren't normally that low (granted, it's not a CPO), and I like the easier maintenance of SS. However, I'm too cheap to lay down a thousand for a new SS SIG.

I'm not looking for a pimp gun as I only carry concealed due to the local laws. But SS allows me to be a bit lazy on taking care of the finish, especially since I usually carry so close to the body, and we have really hot summers here.

I really shouldn't spend the cash now due to all the other stuff I've bought, but if this is a good deal, I don't want to miss it. I have a gun I could trade in which would cover a lot of the cost. Only problem is I lose at least $100 in trade-in. I just never see any P226's or P229's at this price.

Is this after-market finish a detriment or a plus?

Would I be better off just picking up a CPO for an extra $100 or so?

What are your thoughts?

Tough call Grady. Any way you could get the shop to call the previous owner and find out who did refinishing job? My first thought is maybe it's hard chromed, could be about anything though. The CPOs give you an extra measure of confidence with the factory refurb. so it's a tough choice to make.

I'm interested to see what our resident Sigophiles have to say about this one.
    Jack

Administrator
    The million dollar question is what kind of finish is on the gun. There are some older factory two tone guns, but I'm not sure about the reverse you have described. Sig does like to shake things up once in a while and release something different.
    A aftermarket finish like you have described is kinda like a swimming pool in your yard. To the right buyer, its a plus. A lot people view it as a liability though.

Also, once you factor in your loss on the trade in, 600 isn't such a screaming deal on a used Sig. It an average one.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Reverse two tone

The finish configuration you describe is called "reverse two tone", with a black slide and light colored frame. If you go over to Sigforum and run a search you will see quite a few of them. Most factory two tone Sigs have been black frame and stainless slide, and the reverse coloration is not as common. Sig has produced a few, and many others are aftermarket creations.

The silver frame is almost certainly aluminum underneath, with either silver anodize, nickel or duracoat on top. I don't think hard chrome is usually plated on aluminum.

If the gun is in excellent condition and you like the color combination, you should go for it at the attractive price you mentioned.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

VIP Member
    The reverse two tone guns are SS frames, NOT aluminum. I really like the look of the reverse two tone, but I'm not sure about the non factory job. Are you 100% sure it is not a factory job?
    I love the P229 in .40s+w, and am sure you'ld be happy with the gun. They are among the best out there IMHO!
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Find out who did the refinish and what product was used. Aluminum cannot be hard chromed. It can be done in NP3, and it can certainly be Duracoated or Teflon/Moly. If the guns shows evidence of having been fired, and the finish still looks good, it's probably worth it.

Dunno what your trade piece is, but I would drop $100 off any 1911 in trade for the Sig.

Common Sig shop refinishes are done by:
    CCR
    Gray's Guns
    Birdsong
    Arizona Response Systems

and a couple others you can look up on the Sig Forums.

Edit to add: I really doubt you'll find the frame is SS, but you can try a magnet test, best on the front strap, away from other steel parts. SS does have lower ferrous content, but retains enough to let a magnet grab. If it is SS trade whatever you need to get it for that price.

Example of reverse two tone

I would agree that the Sig's frame is most likely aluminum rather than stainless, simply because Sig's production seems to be about 95% aluminum frame and maybe 5% steel frame. So the odds are that it is aluminum, but it could be stainless steel.

I do have one "reverse two tone" gun, a Colt Gold Cup Elite that was produced that way by Colt. The frame is stainless steel, and the blued slide is carbon steel. I like the look, myself.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    I would agree that the Sig's frame is most likely aluminum rather than stainless, simply because Sig's production seems to be about 95% aluminum frame and maybe 5% steel frame. So the odds are that it is aluminum, but it could be stainless steel.

I do have one "reverse two tone" gun, a Colt Gold Cup Elite that was produced that way by Colt. The frame is stainless steel, and the blued slide is carbon steel. I like the look, myself.

Pogo2, where did you get your info about the aluminum frames? I was 85% sure about the reverse two tone guns having SS frames, but what you said made me wonder. I just got off the phone with Sig Sauer CS, and ALL reverse two tone guns are made with SS frames.

Grady, are you SURE that this gun is not a factory reverse two tone?
    When you held/hold the gun, you should be able to feel the weight difference in a SS frame versus aluminum or blued steel. What do you think it was?
    Last edited by sigmanluke; May 27th, 2009 at 05:25 PM. Reason: ?
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Thanks for the info, everyone.

To clarify, the dealer told me his shop sold the gun as all blue 7-8 years ago, and the buyer had the frame coated to resemble stainless. (I think I said perhaps chrome earlier, but it's not chrome.)

If I go back, I'll ask the dealer for more info, such as exactly what type coating it is, in order to make a more informed decision.

The gun did feel heavy, but I'm not sure I could tell the difference in weight between the blue or the ss. But based on what the dealer said, it was originally blue.

Thanks. You've given me some things to consider.

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    $500 and clean? Heck yea I'd buy it! Does it look as nice as the one pictured above?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ErnieNWillis View Post
    $500 and clean? Heck yea I'd buy it! Does it look as nice as the one pictured above?
    Almost, except the grips are black, most or all the controls (including trigger and hammer) appear to be stainless, and the black slide is 99%.

I believe it's a quality firearm. I just have to sleep on it and try to decide whether it's worthwhile to take a chance on it.

Answer...

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    Pogo2, where did you get your info about the aluminum frames? I was 85% sure about the reverse two tone guns having SS frames, but what you said made me wonder. I just got off the phone with Sig Sauer CS, and ALL reverse two tone guns are made with SS frames.
    My statement that 95% of Sigs have aluminum frames is just a guess based on years of owning, shooting and looking at Sigs. I have found that all steel Sigs are fairly uncommon. Once in awhile I'll see a Sig P220 stainless, which is all steel, and occasionally a P229 or P226 in all steel. I've never seen a P239, P228 or P225 with a steel frame. As for reverse two tones, I don't think the factory has made that many - quite a few are aftermarket refinish jobs, like the one I pictured earlier.

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    Get it, Grady... I would almost guarantee that you will like the way it shoots. And if for some reason you do not, you'll easily make 100 or 150 bucks selling it...
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Bottom line is, do YOU like it?
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    I just never see any P226's or P229's at this price.
    As a reference, Summit routinely has P229 and P226 CPO's for $545 or thereabouts.
    I always aim for the right eye...and I never miss - Goldeneye

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links