S&W 340 M&P -- "Tamed"

This is a discussion on S&W 340 M&P -- "Tamed" within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've had a S&W 340 M&P for several months. As anybody who has touched off a .357 load in the pistol knows --- it really ...

Thread: S&W 340 M&P -- "Tamed"

S&W 340 M&P -- "Tamed"

I've had a S&W 340 M&P for several months. As anybody who has touched off a .357 load in the pistol knows --- it really 'stings'!!!

I'm not one to shy away from recoil but this little 12 ounce pistol is a real 'hard kicker!! Even with +P or light .38 Spec. loads, some of my good shooting buddies 'decline' to shoot it.

Because it is so light and 'dainty', I find it to be a terrific CCW pistol. In a DeSantis 'Speed Scabbard' on a stiff belt, one can carry it hardly knowing it's there. It also slips into the pocket of a pair of shorts without 'sagging'. The real problem for me was that the grip was too small for my hand, which contributes to a bruising session at the range and makes you not wanting to press the trigger very often!!

Problem solved today. I purchased a Hogue, Round Butt Rubber Monogrip that's larger and really 'fills' my hand. The gun still 'roars and barks' with defensive .357 loads but is pretty much 'tamed' from it's wicked, hurtful, former personality!

Next --- send the cylinder off to TK Custom to have it modified to accept Moon Clips.

I love my 1911s but in the hot summer around here, a light wheel gun is much easier to comfortably carry and conceal.
    "Courage is being scared to death ...... but saddling up anyway" John Wayne

2. Remove Ads

If you have the cylinder recessed for moon clips won't you lose the ability to use speed strips? Anytime I carry my 642 I carry speed strips for the flatness of the reloads.

More to the point: I've got a .44spl 396 Nightguard sitting in layaway now. This will be my first scandium framed revolver (it lists as 24.2 oz) and I still remember the recoil of hot .44spl loads in my 4" Colt Anaconda. The Nightguard comes from the factory with Pachmayer Compact grips so I'm hoping those will soak up a good bit of recoil.

As much as I'd like to put a nice set of Spegel woods on it, I'm thinking that might be close to abusive behavior. Any ideas? As I said, this is my first scandium so I'm not quite sure what to expect from it - other than range sessions to be brief and far between. This won't replace my Nighthawk T3 as my primary carry but I'd like to carry it from time to time when the mood strikes me.
    Thanks for any tips,
    Jack

Sounds good. Pics?
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Quote Originally Posted by maclean3 View Post
    If you have the cylinder recessed for moon clips won't you lose the ability to use speed strips? Anytime I carry my 642 I carry speed strips for the flatness of the reloads.

More to the point: I've got a .44spl 396 Nightguard sitting in layaway now. This will be my first scandium framed revolver (it lists as 24.2 oz) and I still remember the recoil of hot .44spl loads in my 4" Colt Anaconda. The Nightguard comes from the factory with Pachmayer Compact grips so I'm hoping those will soak up a good bit of recoil.

As much as I'd like to put a nice set of Spegel woods on it, I'm thinking that might be close to abusive behavior. Any ideas? As I said, this is my first scandium so I'm not quite sure what to expect from it - other than range sessions to be brief and far between. This won't replace my Nighthawk T3 as my primary carry but I'd like to carry it from time to time when the mood strikes me.
    Thanks for any tips,
    Jack
    I have a Charter Arms Pug in .44 Special and it weighs in at about 3 ounces lighter than the Smitty Night Guard. I find it a pleasure to shoot, especially with some of my lighter home rolled rounds. Best of luck.....and I am jealous.

VIP Member
    I keep Gold Dot +Ps in mine... okay, so I'm a whimp!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean3 View Post

Thanks for any tips,
    Jack
    I realize its not a .44spl, but I put the Pachmayr compact grips on my S&W modell 66-1 .357 magnum, replacing the Hogue monogrips that were on it, and it was a noticable improvement. I realize this weighs more that the Night Guard by 6 ozs or so, but I really like the pach over the hogues. I also replaced the hogue mono grips that were on my Dad's 342 Ti airlite w/ the Pachmayr compact grips and it was also a noticeable improvement.

[QUOTE=Desperado;1163794]I've had a S&W 340 M&P for several months. As anybody who has touched off a .357 load in the pistol knows --- it really 'stings'!!!

Yes sir I agree, I'd go as far as to call it violent... but "not" out of control. We sold a 642 a few months ago and purchased the M&P 340 as my wife's carry gun. Mainly, because it's a .357 and we feel it's an advantage for defense. Plus, you can always use +p's etc. She tried a monogrip on it and the recoil was better but it was harder to conceal for her. So, she put a set of small CT's on it. Really, it's a carry a lot and shoot a little type gun for the most part and it's working for her.

The light weight J-Frames are easy to carry without question and I do steal it from time to time instead of carrying my SP101. Typically, at the range we shoot a couple of cylinders of full house loads then switch to the .38 specials. I posted a couple of pictures a few days ago, sweet gun.

Distinguished Member Array old grunt's Avatar

Question

Congrats on taming that beast!! I have to say(and NO offense here)that I don't get the whole "lighter is always better" logic. I think once you go lighter and more powerful than a 38Spl Airweight J-Frame you're asking for trouble. A 24 oz. 44 Mag? My Ruger Super Blackhawk barked and it weighed in at about 48 ounces!! I don't get it! An Airweight @ 14 ounces with some of the new loads designed specifically for it is an ideal BUG and it borders on unpleasant to shoot regularly. This begs the question...."If it is unpleasant to shoot how do you practice enough to be proficient with the weapon?"Not trying to be a ball-buster just looking to make sense out of this trend. Just my $.02...THANKS!
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Distinguished Member Array old grunt's Avatar
    OOPS!....Caught my mistake in reference to that Smith. It's a 44 SPECIAL NOT a 44 Magnum. Still ALOT of gun in a 24 oz. package. Sorry!
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Links