What should I get?

This is a discussion on What should I get? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Time for a new full size pistol. This one will most likely be for carry at work and home defense. Concealability not an issue. I ...

Thread: What should I get?

What should I get?

Time for a new full size pistol. This one will most likely be for carry at work and home defense. Concealability not an issue. I think I want a
    .45 ACP, I don't want a 1911 (sorry 1911 guys, I'm not all that nostalgic when it comes to guns) The XD 45 is not available in California yet (go figure!) So..... I'm trying to decide between a USP and a Sig 220, I've held both, they both feel good, I know I can't go wrong either way, they're both great guns, that's what makes it a tough decision! Can't shoot them before purchasing so that's not an option. Have I forgotten any good options???? Help me decide!!!!

2. Remove Ads

I know this is off-track, but I had the opportunity to wring out a 1911 format (RRA) in 9MM and really enjoyed the hell out of it. With modern high performance ammo like my old duty load (115gr +P+ in Sig P226) it would be a great carry gun. Even though I reload I still like 9MM because it is real cheap in bulk which means more trigger time. The HK vs Sig choice for me would be the P220 as I have a lot of trigger time on Sigs and find off hand control functions easier.

Sig's are great weapon's in my opinion, if they both feel good, then that makes the decision even harder, but always keep your options open to maybe....say....i don't know a Glock 21....very nice .45
    Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast, Fast is Deadly!

Assistant Administrator
    Well I'll vote 220 also - but that is because I have one and regard it as a very fine platform. It does of course fit in with the uniformity of handling per my 226 and 228 so that perhaps biases me even more.

I like USP's and probably had I not gotten onto the SIG bandwagon could well have been more than pleased with H&K.

If you get on with the SIG controls, which are for me very suitable, then the rest I think is pretty much a case of it being a gun you will find hard not to like and shoot well with.

Not sure otherwise how you are gonna make the final decision, other than buying both
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    HK has higher cap magazines than the Sig, the controls are more ambidextrous, and you can get an armorer to change the control system to suit you.

Lead Moderator
    I'd go for the SIG, but I'm bias!

If you could find a range were you could rent and shoot both that might help you decide.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Sig 220 SAS Carry!

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Senior Member Array Ride4TheBrand's Avatar
    There's not a gun range near you where you can rent one of each and try them both out?

Or do they not have such a thing in Cali...
    "We must remember that one man is much
    the same as another, and that he is best
    who is trained in the severest school."
    ~Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War

Easy desicison , for me its a Glock 21 for my home defence or open carry ,eats anything you put in it and very durable and reliable !I just ordered my model 30 glock with night sights for CCW

Tough call between the H&K and Sig, both are fine guns. If you can't shoot both, which one feels more natural in your hands? Which aligns the sights more naturally? I'd also consider the Glock 21 were I in your position and not wanting a 1911 ... though I can't imagine why.
    Jack

Sigs and HKs are great guns.........DON'T overlook the S&W OLDER 645.......4506...........and possible the 745 (single action target gun) as well........they're larger, but they work really well.....and they're stainless steel too..645s should sell used for around 425.00 to 525.00 I know that store has several in stock and they're all good lookin too
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

OD*
    It ain't just nostalgia that keeps the 1911 as popular as it is after 95 years.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

Sig 220 is a great gun. I have two guys in the office that carry them and they love them. I have shot them at the range and they are good shooters. But I am a Glock guy.

Gotta speak up for the classic Beretta 92FS 9mm, but hey, EVERYBODY has their own favorite!!

Links