Kahr PM45 Possible Problem

This is a discussion on Kahr PM45 Possible Problem within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello to all. This is my first post on this awesome looking forum. I have a Kahr pm45 that has had quit about of custom ...

Hello to all. This is my first post on this awesome looking forum. I have a Kahr pm45 that has had quit about of custom work done by cylinder and slide. I bought the gun used from a local dealer. IT looked like it was brand new and he wasn't sure if it had even been fired after being returned from cylinder and slide. I have fired about 300 rounds through the gun now. It seems like about every 50-75 rounds it will not feed in the ammo and it will jam. I had one jam that was so bad this past weekend that I had to have the gun range controller unjam it with a screw driver. It looked like the casing was to thick and it jammed as it was going in. I have shot remington umc 230 grain fmj's along with wwb 230 grain fmj's. I also tried some golden sabers just make sure it liked the ammo. Not one jam using the golden sabers only with FMJ's. I have now numbered my mags to see if it is a mag that is getting week. I have purchased a brand new mag to try out on my next time to the range. Is there anything else that could cause this? Everything else is fine. It ejects every round that fires and no mag dropping out problems like I have read. Thanks for any help!

Quote Originally Posted by rickytz7111 View Post
    I have fired about 300 rounds through the gun now. It seems like about every 50-75 rounds it will not feed in the ammo and it will jam. I had one jam that was so bad this past weekend that I had to have the gun range controller unjam it with a screw driver. It looked like the casing was to thick and it jammed as it was going in. I have shot remington umc 230 grain fmj's along with wwb 230 grain fmj's. I also tried some golden sabers just make sure it liked the ammo. Not one jam using the golden sabers only with FMJ's. I have now numbered my mags to see if it is a mag that is getting week. I have purchased a brand new mag to try out on my next time to the range. Is there anything else that could cause this? Everything else is fine. It ejects every round that fires and no mag dropping out problems like I have read. Thanks for any help!
    The pistol only jams with remington umc 230 grain fmj's and wwb 230 grain fmj's?

It sounds like perhaps you have a tight chamber. You might take some measurements of the case mouths on the ammo you have on hand. Also, remove the barrel and drop a bunch of different rounds into the chamber and see what you find. The rounds should "plunk" into the chamber and fall out when the barrel is tipped up. Perhaps the bullet shapes on the Remington and WWB are jamming into the "leade" or rifling and the Golden Sabers, having a different bullet shape or OAL are not.

Screwdriver? The next time you have a jam, you might try holding the slide with the weak hand cupped over it and slapping the grip of the gun with the strong hand to try & unstick the round. I've not tried this as I've never had this problem but have read where other's have done this and it seems to work for them. Perhaps other's will chime in as to whether this sounds like a good idea or has worked for them.
    Cloudpeak

Ricky,

Check out my posts on pages 4-5 in the Kahr P45 with ISSUES forum. It was late last night when I was looking for some answers, so I may have posted on the wrong thread. Sounds like we have similar issues. Here is my original post:

"I have been having some problems with my PM45 since I purchased it last year. At first I thought it was the MagTech Ammo, and switched to the Winchester Ammo for the next 200+ rounds of break-in. No more problems to speak of until this past weekend. I pulled out the old MagTech Ammo again and tried to finish off the 50 rd box with no success. About 10 rounds into it, I had a misfire. After making sure it was not going to be a delayed fire, I tried to eject the bullet and it got stuck in the port. The more I tried to clear the jam, the harder it became. With much effort, I cleared it only to have the same situation repeat itself several times before I called it a day.

I cleaned the gun today and went to our indoor range tonight and tried again after the range cleanup. A few rounds into my session, I encountered the same problem with a misfire. After waiting again to make sure it was not going to be a delayed fire, I tried to eject the bullet and it also got stuck in the port. I cleared it, and went through this same routine several more times after changing to PMC Ammo and finally called it a night.

I talked to the range officer on duty and he told me to collect my brass and bring it to him. I let him have a try with my pistol to rule out any human factor such as grip, etc. The first round did fine, and the 2nd round failed to fire, got stuck etc. We went back outside to the meeting room and looked at the empty shell casings and the rounds that failed to fire & got stuck. Most of the shell casing and all the rounds that got stuck showed a scratch mark on the primer going away from the firing pin hit / dimple. He looked at the pistol, and the firing pin was still sticking out with the slide locked back.

It appears that the firing pin is causing the problem, and not retracting fully after the successful round fired. Since the firing pin is already partially out when it seats the new round, there is only a partial strike on the primer causing the round not to fire. When the slide is pulled back to eject the round, the firing pin hangs on the primer causing the scratch going away from the dimple. In turn, the round gets jammed in the port.

I have 23+ years of experience in law enforcement and have shot many different handguns over the years. I have never had a problem such as this with a pistol that came so highly recommended."

I have contacted Kahr Service for repair instructions, and they have already responded and initiated the process.
    "Life changes when you least expect it to. The future is uncertain. So, seize this day, seize this moment, and make the most of it." - Jim Valvano

I also had to use a screwdriver several times to get the jam cleared. I thought I was going crazy until the range officer experienced the same thing. Kahr Service seems concerned too and wants to take a look. They also said "The primer strike that you are describing is actually normal" and referred me to the owners manual page 12. I read page 10-12 and did not see this specifically addressed. I have since sent them the photos of the shell casings and rounds that did not fire to see if that looks normal. I hope they can fix it as I love the concept of the lightweight .45 for conceal carry and typically Kahr is a leader in the field.

In reference to cloudpeak and dropping the rounds in the barrel after dismantling the gun...I did the same thing and all the MagTech rounds did not seat flush, indicating a slight difference in the casing size. As for clearing the jam, "holding the slide with the weak hand cupped over it and slapping the grip of the gun with the strong hand" would not have worked to clear several of the jams that I experienced...not even close. Thanks for the tip, though, as it might come in handy in another situation.
    "Life changes when you least expect it to. The future is uncertain. So, seize this day, seize this moment, and make the most of it." - Jim Valvano

I also tried to unjam it with my hands with no luck. I have only had 1 bad jam to where I had to use a screw driver. I Love this gun. I will check my barrell tonight. I would also like to see if a specific mag is weak or not. The last 75 rounds I shot through it before I called it a day went great. I'm hoping that it just needed some break in. We will see on my next trip to the range. I also emailed cylinder and slide to see what they thought. They said I could be a mag issue or a recoil spring issue. What do you guys think? Thanks Again for the help

Hello to all. This is my first post on this awesome looking forum. I have a Kahr pm45 that has had quit about of custom work done by cylinder and slide. I bought the gun used from a local dealer. IT looked like it was brand new and he wasn't sure if it had even been fired after being returned from cylinder and slide. I have fired about 300 rounds through the gun now. It seems like about every 50-75 rounds it will not feed in the ammo and it will jam. I had one jam that was so bad this past weekend that I had to have the gun range controller unjam it with a screw driver. It looked like the casing was to thick and it jammed as it was going in. I have shot remington umc 230 grain fmj's along with wwb 230 grain fmj's. I also tried some golden sabers just make sure it liked the ammo. Not one jam using the golden sabers only with FMJ's. I have now numbered my mags to see if it is a mag that is getting week. I have purchased a brand new mag to try out on my next time to the range. Is there anything else that could cause this? Everything else is fine. It ejects every round that fires and no mag dropping out problems like I have read. Thanks for any help!
    Do you have a record of what Cylinder and Slide did to this weapon? Did they change out the recoil spring or the barrel? May be worth looking in to.

Ok I did the barrel check last night and everything worked great. I tried many diffrent rounds they all went in perfect and they all fell out perfect. So the barrel doesn't seem to be the issue. Anything else you guys can think of? Thanks Again

If you can get a picture of the jam the next time it happens, that would be good.

How far out of battery is the slide when you get a jam? Is the case rim slid up under the extractor? Is the bullet jammed into the top of the chamber with the case head not under the extractor? Does the extractor move freely?

Some 1911's suffer from "stem bind" (also called three point jam) and looks like this:
    http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/e...3/top_side.jpg

I think this is mainly a problem with 1911 internal extractors. I don't remember reading much if anything about this happening with external extractors and have never had this problem with any external extractor pistol I've owned.

Just grasping at straws, here.
    Cloudpeak

Next time I go out to shoot I will pay attention on what it looks like. Thanks

Hell, I would call C & S! From what has been done to the gun and the price that some body paid, that thing should never have a malfunction. Give them the serial number and they should be able to tell you what has been done.

I have emailed them with the serial# and they said they don't track their work that way. I agree with you on it should never have a malfunction with all the work. It has had 2 other things done to by them from what I can tell. I don't know if I should try replacing the recoil spring? The advice cylinder and slide gave me was to put a new springs in the mags and put a new recoil spring in. What do you guys think?

Do you guys think the recoil spring could be the problem? The spring and guide assembly are like $30 shipped.

Do you guys think the recoil spring could be the problem? The spring and guide assembly are like $30 shipped.
    This isn't a single spring system? (The one on my CW9 is). If you have a single spring that is not "captured", you could just buy a new recoil spring. I think I read that Wolff has them but have never checked. You shouldn't need to replace the guide rod but you want to make sure it's smooth. On my CW9, it seems the guide rod gets chewed up a bit by the spring. I chucked it in a drill and smoothed it using red "Scotchbrite."

My gut feeling is that this isn't a spring problem. All checked rounds dropped in and out of your barrel. C&S worked on the chamber and feed ramp.

The Golden Saber's feed 100% so I think your Kahr doesn't like certain shapes of bullets/COAL's. I see where C&S worked on the extractor, "Radius and tension the extractor for improved feeding reliability". I'm still leading towards a tension problem with the extractor.

You might consider buying a new extractor spring (to have one on hand) and then lessening the length of the spring that's in the pistol a little at a time to see if things improve. Also, check the extractor just to make sure there are no burrs or pieces missing.
    Cloudpeak

Thanks for all the info Cloudpeak.

Links