I'm between a S&W 642, 442 and an LCR...

This is a discussion on I'm between a S&W 642, 442 and an LCR... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After hearing the input from some of you I have dropped the Charter Arms Option. I have narrowed it down to the S&Ws and the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm between a S&W 642, 442 and an LCR...

I'm between a S&W 642, 442 and an LCR...

After hearing the input from some of you I have dropped the Charter Arms Option. I have narrowed it down to the S&Ws and the Ruger LCR.
    MY wife likes all even though she has not shot a wheelgun before (she has held them though) She is now pregnant so the shooting is not going to happen anytime soon. She asked me for a lightweight .38 Spl (+p) and I don't want her to cool off. She is finally deciding to carry.
    The gun has to work for both purse and on body carry.....
    Price on all three is very similar so it's not an issue. The issue is coming up with the amount...
    Any suggestions from those who carry them???
    G21SF, G30, G36, Ruger SP101 DAO, S&W 642

2. Remove Ads

If you're buying now, I'd go with the S&W. I'd wait a year or so before buying the LCR.

Go with the Smith...442 and 642 are the same just black or silver.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I have a 642 and it is a great pocket CC weapon. However I feel the recoil is brisk and I never look forward to shooting it but it has a place in the CC world. I would try to have the wife shoot the 642 before buying it.
    Does it have to be a revolver? Kahr has a nice little selection for your purpose and I'm sure you'll get a ton of replies and opinions.
    I'm not familiar with the Ruger. Take your time deciding and good luck.

Yes, I know the 442 and 642 are blue and silver... some say the silver finish will last longer under heavy use. I really like the LCT but being so new, I worry about issues with the gun (Although I think wheelgun issues may be hard to come by).
    G21SF, G30, G36, Ruger SP101 DAO, S&W 642

Quote Originally Posted by jframe38 View Post
    I have a 642 and it is a great pocket CC weapon. However I feel the recoil is brisk and I never look forward to shooting it but it has a place in the CC world. I would try to have the wife shoot the 642 before buying it.
    Does it have to be a revolver? Kahr has a nice little selection for your purpose and I'm sure you'll get a ton of replies and opinions.
    I'm not familiar with the Ruger. Take your time deciding and good luck.
    I agree ... it's got a kick. I own a 642, and it's a great lightweight revolver for CC. But, after fifty rounds of .38 spl at the range, I've had enough. Loaded with +P, I can stand about half that amount and I'm sore for the rest of the day. But it's not for my wife.

For your wife to use as self-defense within the home, go with an all steel revolver in as large of a caliber she can still shoot accurately. The heavier weight of the gun will dampen recoil. But stick with a revolver; it's simple to use, can take all kinds of abuse and still go "bang" every time. And S&W is as good as it gets in a revolver, IMO.

-Seawolf
    "Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." - John Wayne
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    IDPA Member & RSO, KSRA Life Member, NRA Life Member, NRA Firearms Instructor & RSO, KS CCH Instructor (www.thekasdg.com)

Any small lightweight revolver is going to have felt recoil. I would go with the stainless S&W because it's just an easier finish to take care of. I wish I had moe info for you about the Ruger, at 13.5 oz. I don't think you'll find a lighter gun that will handle the .38+P.
    We can't stop here...this is bat country.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Res Ipsa Loquitur

My wife recently choose the 642, with a Crimson Trace grip.

She has not shot it a bunch but does not really like shooting Hornady 125 +P critical defense or Federal Hydroshock 147 +P, but did enough of them to make sure she was hitting relatively close to where the laser was aimed at about 25 feet.

She didn't mind my 125 gr lead reload all that much but would not spend a day shooting them at the range. For what it is she likes it and is actually carrying the thing, where she would not carry her G19 regularly. So in my book the gun is doing what it was designed for.

I would probably not go with the LCR right now, I have several Rugers, but it is too new and a lot more expensive than either of the S&W's you mentioned. Besides, most places have the S&W readily available, probably not so with the LCR.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Ok, once again........get the J Frame!
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

We just went thru the same thing and bought the LCR. Nice little gun with a great trigger and the hogue grip is pretty comfortable. It's also less expensive than the Smiths we looked at (by about $50+), but harder to find. I'm a big S&W fan but I gotta say I may keep this little gun for myself if I can find something else my wife likes more.

One concern is the LCR being so new, but not much can go wrong with wheel guns, and Ruger has a history of standing behind their product.

I would still go with the SP101. The extra weight will absorb alot of the recoil from .38 +P.

One more vote for the 642! I'm staying away from the LCR until it's run the gauntlet in the consumer world.
    CZ P-06
    Glock 23 OD with CT laser
    S&W 642

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by llred View Post
    I would still go with the SP101. The extra weight will absorb alot of the recoil from .38 +P.
    Or a S&W model 60.

Quote Originally Posted by shooterX View Post
    Or a S&W model 60.
    + 1 I forgot they still made that.

JT
    I love the Model 60, but for a carry anytime/anywhere gun, it's hard to beat a 642.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links