factory fresh Kahr MK9 arrived...gritty striker assembly

This is a discussion on factory fresh Kahr MK9 arrived...gritty striker assembly within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After a long, long wait (about 3 months), my Kahr MK9 has arrived. It's fresh out of the factory, and it is SWEEEET! I cannot ...

Thread: factory fresh Kahr MK9 arrived...gritty striker assembly

Question factory fresh Kahr MK9 arrived...gritty striker assembly

After a long, long wait (about 3 months), my Kahr MK9 has arrived. It's fresh out of the factory, and it is SWEEEET! I cannot wait to find to test it out and to find a good holster for it.

I was eager to pull that Elite trigger and feel how glass smooth it was, but when I did, it was pretty gritty, actually. I opened it up and gave it a good cleaning to wipe away the small metal bits (from the manufacturing process). It was well lubricated from the factory, but I wiped it down and relubricated.

So, here's the deal now. With the slide assembly removed from the frame, I pulled back on the striker pin assembly, and noticed how terribly gritty it is. I think there must be manufacturing crumbs junked up in the lubrication that's inside the striker assembly area inside the slide. The trigger (when everything's assembled) is pretty smooth now, but I think it'll be even better when I get the striker box cleaned out.

My questions are: is this normal? How do I clean this out? Is this something I should have someone else do, or can I do it myself? I've never fully disassembled a handgun - only into it's major parts (slide, frame, barrel, etc.) for cleaning. So, I don't have any tools (e.g., for moving the rear sight, etc).

I'll post a new thread later with my impressions -- once I get past the initial cleaning and on to the fun part.

Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

Removing the firing pin from the slide is usually pretty easy. I have done this a few times on my Glock. While I had no need to do it yet on my PM9 the mechanism looks pretty much identical.

There are plenty of videos on youtube on handgun disasembly. For example this:

YouTube - How To Detail Strip A Glock Pistol ( Glock disassembly)

Ignore the parts about dissembling the frame and watch starting around 5:30

For my brand new PM9 I first thoroughly cleaned and degreased it when it came fresh from factory. Then lubricated it, then hand cycled it about 200 times, then cleaned and lubricated it again before going to range. I fired about 400 rounds from it so far and I did not have any problems whatsoever with it (even during the "break in").

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Cleaning the firing pin channel is not difficult. Eye protection is HIGHLY recommended.

You need to relieve the spring pressure on the rear plate before removing it. I use a small jewelers screwdriver to pull the plastic spring guide forward. It is very helpful to "capture" the spring. I use a homemade gizmo as shown here.

Then using the very small jewelers screwdriver, you depress the rearmost pin of the extractor assembly through the small hole in the rear next to the rear cover plate.

The plate will now slide down and off the slide.

Did I mention EYE PROTECTION?

With your thumb over the rear channel access hole, where the plate was, you now remove the "gizmo". The guide, spring and two piece striker will now fall out.

Be careful to not lose the three piece extractor assembly, extractor, spring and pin.

Go here for detailed instructions... a PDF on page two, reply #37.
    Detail Stripping the Kahr's Upper - Glock Talk
    Last edited by ripley16; May 29th, 2009 at 12:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ripley16 View Post
    Cleaning the firing pin channel is not difficult. Eye protection is HIGHLY recommended.

You need to relieve the spring pressure on the rear plate before removing it. I use a small jewelers screwdriver to pull the plastic spring guide forward. It is very helpful to "capture" the spring. I use a homemade gizmo as shown here.
    [Image deleted...see above]

Then using the very small jewelers screwdriver, you depress the rearmost pin of the extractor assembly through the small hole in the rear next to the rear cover plate.

The plate will now slide down and off the slide.

Did I mention EYE PROTECTION?

With your thumb over the rear channel access hole, where the plate was, you now remove the "gizmo". The guide, spring and two piece striker will now fall out.

Be careful to not lose the three piece extractor assembly, extractor, spring and pin.

Go here for detailed instructions... a PDF on page two, reply #37.
    Detail Stripping the Kahr's Upper - Glock Talk

Awesome - thanks for the directions to the .pdf file in that thread. That's going to be VERY useful!

Links