Any opinion on the Glock 31?

This is a discussion on Any opinion on the Glock 31? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I posted this in another forum but thought it a good idea to post here as well since I am looking for a broad range ...

Thread: Any opinion on the Glock 31?

Any opinion on the Glock 31?

I posted this in another forum but thought it a good idea to post here as well since I am looking for a broad range of opinions. Any info is greatly appreciated!

I *swore* I would never own one of those water pistol looking Glocks but, hey, I've got new gun-itis. :)

Not to mention when you pull the trigger on a Glock, it's very likely to go "bang".

While looking around the ol' safe and taking stock of what I keep around the house and the 3 I swap carry, I don't have anything "high-cap". Everything I own has less than 10 with fully loaded mags and one in the pipe. That fact has never proven to be an issue but does bother me somewhat (more is better) and seems an excellent excuse to buy a new piece.

I have "small and highly concealable" covered with my P239 SIG in 357SIG. Just a great little gun and caliber and my most carried.

I have "small wheel gun" covered with my SP101 in 357Mag.

I have "heavy and powerful" covered with my big ol' American iron S&W model 1076 in 10MM -- quite possibly my fav pistol even though it has been discontinued for some time now. My copy is very accurate and those Double Tap 165 gr Gold Dots arrive with seriously bad intentions.

So, I'm "house gun" shopping for something that will carry a lot of ammo but still be concealable enough for carry from time to time. I handled a HK45 that is quite possibly THE best fit for me and my hand I have ever touched but that thing is HUGE plus limited rounds. I looked at various other HKs and SIGs but I'm not interested in reducing the national debt with one handgun purchase. I'm looking for something not quite so expensive, very reliable because my life and the lives of my family could depend on it, and it will carry a bunch of rounds.

Sounds like a Glock to me. :)

Much like a properly loaded 10MM, the 357SIG has my attention -- fast and powerful and I like that. My local dealer has a 31 and a 32 and I briefly handled them. I wanted to like the 32 since it is a little smaller but, for whatever reason, the 31 just felt better in my hand. Plus, the 32 is ported and I just don't want all that mess flying up in my face when I'm really needing to SEE. I have small hands so I'm not real sure why the 31 feels better but there is NO doubt it does.

So, does anyone carry a 31 on a regular basis and, if so, do you experience any issues? It seems to be about the same size as my 1076 (I'm going to carry it to the dealer and compare today) so I *think* I can conceal it "good enough". Are there any other issues I should be aware of and/or do you have any other suggestions?

Thank you very much for your help!

2. Remove Ads

JT
    I have a G32 and love it. Carries very well. I find the carry comfort level on the compact Glocks to be about perfect.

I haven't tried to carry a full size Glock. You should be able to conceal the 31, but if you're average size it may feel a little large for concealed carry.
    Last edited by JT; May 29th, 2009 at 03:37 PM. Reason: spelling
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Wonderful caliber! If the G31 fits you best, go with it. I have a G32C and have no problem with anything flying up in my face. It's my favorite Glock. There is a huge difference in concealing the two sizes. Check out a regular G32?
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Distinguished Member Array old grunt's Avatar

Glock-en-Sig

The 357SIG caliber is catching on. It is used by Texas DPS and the Federal Air Marshals(in a SIG pistol)and probably a few other agencies too. Add GLOCK reliability and you got a winner! Good Luck!
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Forgot to mention Secret Service...I think you will do just fine with the 31. Our Local SD carries 31s as their issue weapons. They like both the impressive terminal ballistics and the fact that it is not a common round in this area making LEO related shootings much easier to investigate if they occur. That would make an excellent house gun. I will choose from a G21, a G20 or a G31, or G22 when I buy a house gun.to complement a HD shotgun. With a small investment in a good holster and belt you surely could conceal it when necessary also.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Thanks for the help, guys. I carried my Smith 1076 to the shop today for a little size comparison because I know I can conceal it. The 1076 and G31 are essentially the same size. The Glock grip is a little thicker and more "boxy" but the high capacity is what I am after. The G31 came home with me and is sitting freshly cleaned and lubed waiting for some range time tomorrow.

Again, thanks for the help, guys.

I don't have a G31, but I have a G23 with a G32 drop in barrel in it. I also have a G-33 that I absolutely love.

Congrats on the purchase. I am sure you will enjoy it.

Well, I can honestly say I've had no experience with a G31, and therefore no opinions about it......but.....all you had to say was Glock, and I'm all for it!

Very fast recoiling round like the 10mm. The model 31 is an excellent platform for the round, i.e. long grip, high capacity, and the whole 40s&w conversion ability. Good purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    Wonderful caliber! If the G31 fits you best, go with it. I have a G32C and have no problem with anything flying up in my face. It's my favorite Glock. There is a huge difference in concealing the two sizes. Check out a regular G32?
    Thanks for the reply, AZ Husker. The only 32 I had available to check was a C model but even though I have small hands, the full size 31 seemed to fit me much better so I laid down the cash for it. It *will* be much harder to conceal with that big ol' handle but I do have to remember my main purpose with this purchase was mag capacity so I am also better served by the 31 in that regard as well. However, after my initial range session with the Glock, I have a strange feeling I will own a 32 for carry purposes before too long. Dang ol' ugly watergun looking thing shot pretty well. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Danimal View Post
    I don't have a G31, but I have a G23 with a G32 drop in barrel in it. I also have a G-33 that I absolutely love.

Congrats on the purchase. I am sure you will enjoy it.
    Yep, Danimal -- you are right. One range session and it's already growing on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Well, I can honestly say I've had no experience with a G31, and therefore no opinions about it......but.....all you had to say was Glock, and I'm all for it!
    So, you're one of THOSE guys, huh -- all Glock all the time. :)

I *swore* I would NEVER own a Glock and I have said that way more than one time in numerous places. Now, here I sit with one right beside me and I'm rather proud of that fact. Don't tell anybody I said so, though.

Quote Originally Posted by jhh3rd View Post
    Very fast recoiling round like the 10mm. The model 31 is an excellent platform for the round, i.e. long grip, high capacity, and the whole 40s&w conversion ability. Good purchase.
    Thanks for the confirmation, jhh3rd -- it does have a lot going for it. Strangely enough, one of the weird facts I discovered today is the 31 has greater apparent recoil than my P239 in the same caliber -- a much smaller and somewhat lighter pistol. ((shrug)) Maybe it's because most of the weight of the Glock is above my support hand in the slide. Could be all in my mind because I didn't carry my SIG to the range -- just going from memory. It's a puzzle. I *will* carry both the next time to confirm. And, yes -- I agree, the 357SIG has a "snappy" recoil similar to a properly loaded 10. They both will get your attention.

Links