S&W 642 or 442?

This is a discussion on S&W 642 or 442? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Of these two gun which would you get? My local dealer has one of each in the no lock version,but my question is how does ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&W 642 or 442?

S&W 642 or 442?

Of these two gun which would you get? My local dealer has one of each in the no lock version,but my question is how does the finish on the 442 hold up to rust and such? I'm in Florida and this is a concern of mine. After doing a lot of thinking I starting to think this a more practical choice for pocket carry than the 340M&P I have on layaway. Thanks for any help guys.

2. Remove Ads

The 642 is more popular because of its stainless steel finish, which people believe to be more durable than the black finish of the 442. Either gun is excellent for pocket carry. I carry a 442.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

I have had a Model 642 for some years but think the Model 442 is more attractive.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

642 is not all stainless steel. The frame is alloy. The question is do you like chocolate or vanilla. Same gun. different color

The one that starts with a '6'...SS wears better. IMHO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

My Vote

The 642 is my next purchase. All the rest of my guns are black so I figure it will be a nice change of pace!
    Glock 26 9mm CCW - - S&W 642 Super Tuned - - Remington 870 18.5" 12GA 6+1

The much sexier black for me...

Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

semperfi.45 what kind of grip is that? is it the hogue? i just ordered the packymar compack still waiting for it..... i own a 442 and love it cuz of the finish, easier to conceal when un-holstered if light was to hit it. just a personal opinion

I chose the 642 because I just liked how it looked. The black model might hide the fact you have a gun until you need to use it. The silver model is much more visible when you need to present it. Pro's and con's for each. I think for most of us it comes down to simply which one we want to own. I'd be happy with either.
    For the stength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack. - R. Kipling

Romans 1:22 Claiming to be wise, they became fools [professing to be smart, they made simpletons of themselves].

I am Floridaresident and own a 442. No rust and more discreet if pulled.

Quote Originally Posted by latexan View Post
    semperfi.45 what kind of grip is that? is it the hogue? i just ordered the packymar compack still waiting for it..... i own a 442 and love it cuz of the finish, easier to conceal when un-holstered if light was to hit it. just a personal opinion
    Eagle Secret Service. High speed and low drag, they conceal very well in a pocket.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by semperfi.45 View Post
    Eagle Secret Service. High speed and low drag, they conceal very well in a pocket.
    I also like those grips as well as the checked version. However, I can't seem to get the site to direct me the grip/purchase link. Oh well...
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Try this for the Rosewoods Eagle Grips Inc.

VIP Member
    The much sexier black for me...

Have to admit, that is pretty!

VIP Member
    Try this for the Rosewoods Eagle Grips Inc.
    Ok, thanks - got it. The site is nice although it does take a few steps to drill down for the desired result. I just purchased the checked version for my 642-P. Damn this hobby gets' expensive...
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links