Down to three for CCW...I think!

This is a discussion on Down to three for CCW...I think! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After a great deal of debate, I think I have narrowed my choice for a concealed carry weapon down to three handguns. The S&W 442, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Down to three for CCW...I think!

After a great deal of debate, I think I have narrowed my choice for a concealed carry weapon down to three handguns. The S&W 442, Ruger LCR and the Ruger LCP. I'm leaning towards a revolver for the fact that it will go bang when you pull the trigger, period, but the LCP is just SO concealable. Any thoughts or personal experience with any of these firearms would be greatly appreciated...or if you want to make my life complex and throw another choice into the ring, I'm willing to listen! Thanks.

VIP Member
    Of the choices you listed, I'd go with the 442, and I'm not a S&W guy. The LCP is fine for a backup gun, but I wouldn't want to carry one as my EDC gun, because of the marginal caliber. The LCR is too new, Ruger hasn't had time to discover and work the bugs out yet.

Well, I own a 642 (the stainless twin of the 442), I've shot a LCP, and I have seen a LCR in real life.

First question: have you actually shot each of these guns enough to know whether or not you can handle one over the other better? The LCP is a nice little package, and would conceal fine, but I have problems shooting really small semi-autos accurately at what I consider sufficient distances (let's say 25 yards). I own a first generation Rohrbaugh, and love the little thing, but for a pocket gun I carry my 642 because I shoot it so much better. Having a gun is good, but having a gun you can shoot well is a whole lot better.

And the LCR is cool, but it looks bulky to my eye. Might handle/fit differently.

Jim D.

Ballistics by the inch: "Four guys, two chronographs, and 8,500 rounds of ammo."

Like Science Fiction? Read *or listen to* my novel, Communion of Dreams, for free.

I'd go for the S&W snubbie, but instead of the 441, I get the 642.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Of the choices you listed, I'd go with the 442, and I'm not a S&W guy. The LCP is fine for a backup gun, but I wouldn't want to carry one as my EDC gun, because of the marginal caliber. The LCR is too new, Ruger hasn't had time to discover and work the bugs out yet.
    ditto this. I have a S&W 637 airweight. Its a dream to carry. I cant imagine the LCR can be more concealable than the 637. I dont trust the LCP and the LCR IMO is not worth the "new gun just released" price.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

An other vote for the 442, it's a must have for BUG or primary.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Downey View Post
    Well, I own a 642 (the stainless twin of the 442), I've shot a LCP, and I have seen a LCR in real life.

First question: have you actually shot each of these guns enough to know whether or not you can handle one over the other better? The LCP is a nice little package, and would conceal fine, but I have problems shooting really small semi-autos accurately at what I consider sufficient distances (let's say 25 yards). I own a first generation Rohrbaugh, and love the little thing, but for a pocket gun I carry my 642 because I shoot it so much better. Having a gun is good, but having a gun you can shoot well is a whole lot better.

And the LCR is cool, but it looks bulky to my eye. Might handle/fit differently.

Jim D.
    Not too very many personal self-defense scenarios floating around out there at 25 yards.
    That having been said I'd also opt for the 442.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

With your choices i would say go with the s&w purely for cal. reasons. Personally i would look into a larger cal. for a main carry if i were you.
    "Anyone worth shooting, is probably worth shooting several times."

Revolver over an auto anyday!!!!IMO......Good Luck.

Senior Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar
    Yes.....revolver is the way to go.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government--lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry

NRA Life Member

442 I shot 25 rounds through my 442 today at the indoor range with 3" groupings at 12 and 15 yards.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Not too very many personal self-defense scenarios floating around out there at 25 yards.
    Oh, true enough. But I figure if I can handle a gun out to 25 yards with comfort in training, maybe I'll be able to handle it OK at close range if I ever have to deal with an adrenaline dump.

Jim D.

Ballistics by the inch: "Four guys, two chronographs, and 8,500 rounds of ammo."

Like Science Fiction? Read *or listen to* my novel, Communion of Dreams, for free.

Everyone needs a snubbie. My vote is for the 642. I personally like the finish better than the 442.
    Change We Can Believe In 01.20.13 Gun Control is Being Able to Hit Your Target.

My choice would be LCR first, 642 second and LCP never. If it's not fun to shoot, I don't want to own it.
    NRA, IDPA, GSSF & GSSA member
    Certified Glock Armorer

Sorry, I'm an auto man. Revlovers are too bulky for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links