S&W 642 owners: 642 with lock... question

This is a discussion on S&W 642 owners: 642 with lock... question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Fellow DCers, After considering the 642 and LCR, my wife decided on the 642. I think we made a great purchase for her CCW but ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: S&W 642 owners: 642 with lock... question

Fellow DCers,
    After considering the 642 and LCR, my wife decided on the 642. I think we made a great purchase for her CCW but it is a gun with the safety lock on the side.
    I have heard the lock is really useless and was better to get a No lock gun. However, this was the one that was available, my wife wanted it now and I got it for her. It has taken me 2 yrs to actually have her ask me for a gun so I was not about to let her cool off.
    The shop owner told me just to ignore the lock and NEVER use it. It would not give me trouble if I did not activate it. I wanted to ask other 642 owners to see what your opinions are regarding the lock issue....
    G21SF, G30, G36, Ruger SP101 DAO, S&W 642

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    My wife has never locked her 642. I do not understand why they put locks on guns. If you have small children,get a safe or something of that nature. I would not worry with the lock. By the way,this is a great gun.

To sell to some states they had to have the internal lock. I don't think you ever have to physically lock the lock to have trouble with it. Some people blow it off. That's fine. But when there are literally hundreds of of first hand cases of the locks failing, I just didn't feel right carrying it.

I removed the lock and have never looked back. I don't like a gun's function being determined by a 1 cent spring. It is so small it's disgusting.

With that said, there is a 99.9% chance you will never have a problem.

This whole lock thing is a sham...it's NOT a problem!
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

I have the 637 (with a hammer) similar gun, with a lock. Never used it, never tried it...useless...but no problem.

Ignore it!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I have the 637 (with a hammer) similar gun, with a lock. Never used it, never tried it...useless...but no problem.

Ignore it!
    Same here. You can do a little surgery and remove the useless stupid lock.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Great gun--I never lock mine and have read enough to never anticipate a problem so long as I keep it that way! Outstanding pocket carry, perfect for the summer months in TX!

On a separate note, I highly recommend a speedstrip for reloading--- fits right with it in my pocket and you can't notice a thing!
    CZ P-06
    Glock 23 OD with CT laser
    S&W 642

VIP Member

Just my opinion...

I have a 642-P and I never use the internal lock. Likewise, I have never heard of any mechanical problems associated with the lock. Without it engaged, it will go cannon every time. As for the LCR, I like it a lot! It’s better balanced in my hand, the fit and finish is outstanding, and the trigger action “is to die for”. Still, it’s new although I believe it’s a notch above on the technological scale. Now, I love my Smith and I sure wouldn’t trade it off for the LCR.

642 Pro’s
    Proven design
    Heavier platform
    Less bulk
    Better Resale
    Accessory Options

Ported Version:
    Reduced muzzle flip
    Slightly longer barrel
    Adjustable front sight

Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

My 442 has the lock and I've never had a problem. I don't even think about it. Just ignore it and be happy. You/your wife got a great snubby for ccw.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

I don't own a 642 but I do have a 686+ that was equipped with the lock. I never had a problem with it but for peace of mind I disabled it. It's a fairly easy job to do and can make you feel better about carrying your S&W.

I lost my key

No problems.

I thought I had read somewhere that the problems came from the bigger caliber guns. I forgot what caliber the articles were talking about (357,44 ?) but I have a 642 with lock (never used it) and love it and have shot +p and anything else I can get my hands on and its problem FREE. Great choice in a gun IMO.
    Change We Can Believe In 01.20.13 Gun Control is Being Able to Hit Your Target.

Quote Originally Posted by PackN View Post
    I thought I had read somewhere that the problems came from the bigger caliber guns. I forgot what caliber the articles were talking about (357,44 ?) but I have a 642 with lock (never used it) and love it and have shot +p and anything else I can get my hands on and its problem FREE. Great choice in a gun IMO.
    From what I've heard, the real offender is the scandium .357's firing full magnum loads. Itty bitty gun with powerful cartridges.

My wife has the 642 with the key. Seems useless, but I'm sure somewhere out there an anti 2A thought this is just what we needed to keep our little ones safe. It stays in the safe when not carried. The key makes a great charm.
    Never argue with idiots - they'll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links