Defensive Carry banner

Recommend a .45?

4K views 40 replies 30 participants last post by  hybrid 
#1 ·
I am looking to get together a list of .45 handguns that are available with NO grip safeties and are good for CC.

This is for my husband, he wants to take the CCH class when he is home next and I would like to surprise him but need to narrow the list down as he is only here for 2 weeks and so we have time constraints if it needs to be ordered.

I love Glocks and he likes mine, but he wants something not plastic, and possibly stainless or maybe 2 tone. He enjoyed my Browning Hi Power and I am considering that in the .40, but he really likes a .45.

A few he has mentioned are Para, Sig and Kimber. So if you don't mind bragging on your favs I'd appreciate it!

#4 ·
So you're looking for a steel framed .45. The default would be the 1911, but not wanting a grip safety eliminates that. The SIG P220 comes to mind (it's even available in two tone).

Smith and Wesson also makes some steel framed .45s.

#5 ·
So you're looking for a steel framed .45. The default would be the 1911, but not wanting a grip safety eliminates that. The SIG P220 comes to mind (it's even available in two tone).

I will look into the Sig too. He definitely said no grip safety so that's why I am trying to get together a list as I know the 1911 would be the default. Doesn't need to be SS that would be a bonus.

#7 ·
EAA Witness makes a very good .45 and is hyper accurate right out of the box. Two downsides: holster availability and it only comes with one magazine. You can buy mags from EAA in Florida: 1/$40, 2/$50 and 3/$75. Downward motion on the safety for shooting, 1911-style frame like the CZ and others and DA/SA. You can get one at Bud's for less than $425.

#8 ·
Wow! He's never held the Glock-36, has he?
I hated the thought of Glocks until I picked up the Glock-36. Single stack so it's the thinnest of all the other Glocks and very easy to conceal.
I'll bet he'd consider it once he had one in his hand.:king:

#9 ·
Wow! He's never held the Glock-36, has he?
I hated the thought of Glocks until I picked up the Glock-36. Single stack so it's the thinnest of all the other Glocks and very easy to conceal.
Funny, I picked up a Glock 36 and hated it immediately. I guess it just depends on your hands.

#11 ·
Sig Sauer P220 Compact ory Carry, would fit the bill nicely.

#14 ·
You owe it to yourself and your hubby to take a hard look at the HK45c -- assuming you can find one to look at. I handled and lusted after the HK45 full size for several days before deciding against it because it is so large. Still, it is *the* single best feeling and natural pointing handgun I have EVER handled -- and that covers a lot of ground. I have not handled the HK45c but if it is anything like big brother, it is a winner and is very "carryable".

#15 ·
SIG P220 is a good one. A kimber 1911 might also be a wise choice. If he changes his mind on frame material and caliber, I suggest a G19 or a G21.

#16 ·
There's the Taurus PT 145. It's about the size of a Glock 26, but carries 10 rounds of 45 ammo, plus 1. Shoots nice out of the box and goes for between 4-500 dollars, depending on where you shop.

#17 ·
I am looking to get together a list of .45 handguns that are available with NO grip safeties and are good for CC.

I love Glocks and he likes mine, but he wants something not plastic, and possibly stainless or maybe 2 tone. He enjoyed my Browning Hi Power and I am considering that in the .40, but he really likes a .45.
You need a .45 handgun with NO grip safeties and are good for CC. One that's not plastic. Possibly stainless.

Sounds like a Ruger Redhawk with a 4 inch barrel in 45 Colt.

#21 ·
Another vote for the P220... my EDC...

#25 ·
I absolutely love my Sig P220R two tone. It is BY FAR the finest pistol I have ever shot. Nothing has even come close. I would highly reccomend it to anyone. They also have a "carry" model, and several trigger variations. You can even find a fully stainless steel one if you look around.

#29 ·
I found a really nice Sig 220 on Bud's. I am going to look for one local and see what I come up with. He won't be here until September so I have some time. Thanks for all the help!

#30 ·
Sig 220 Carry? Available in a lot of variations. Honestly, as much as you would like to surprise him, a gun is something very hard to pick for someone. In his mind he might have a pretty good idea of what he wants, but just hasn't let you know. Same goes for men buying guns for their wives. Make him a gift certificate for a new gun or something. Just a thought.

#32 ·
He has let me know, I think this Sig may be the one, as we shopped extensively when he was home a few weeks ago. I am going to keep asking him in the line of what he wants to carry when he gets his CCL and if he tells me I will buy it, if I'm not sure I might buy it anyway and if he doesn't want it I'll keep it for me and he can buy another one. Win win. We get to talk every few days and I casually keep getting details, and if all else fails I will flat out ask him what he wants. He'd carry my G19, he likes it, but I know he really wants something else. He's only home for 2 weeks every 4 months or so, that's why I'd like to have something for him of his own, even if he decides he wants something else too. I am fine with buying more than one gun. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.