Skyy Range Report

Skyy Range Report

This is a discussion on Skyy Range Report within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife and I go shooting almost every Sunday afternoon and this was no exception. When I say this is a range report I use ...

VIP Member

Skyy Range Report

My wife and I go shooting almost every Sunday afternoon and this was no exception. When I say this is a range report I use the term range in its loosest form. I live in a very small town in west central alabama and the nearest public range is at least 75 miles away. I do have good friends in the area that have lots of property. In one area over the past few years they have set up a shooting area for zeroing rifles. We go there and set up our targets and fire down the range toward their 50, 100, 150 yard targets. It is strictly informal and Euclidean you always know who is in the lane next to you. This afternoon we went out with the purpose of putting a hundred or so rounds through the new Skyy CPX-1 that I bought yesterday. I learned several things during our session and I will share them after the report.

As recommended by P95Carry (Chris) I simply ran a dry patch through the barrel before going to shoot so this is a new, right out of the box pistol. Since this is to be a defensive weapon I decided to see right off if it had problems with my defensive ammo. I loaded 9 rounds of Federal 147gr. Hydra-Shok in the magazine and one in the chamber and fired at a standard bullseye target from 25'. The first thing I noticed is that this pistol has more recoil than any other I have. The Taurus Millennium Pro .40 is much milder. The Skyy handled the Hydra-Shoks with out a problem. I had one problem. I was shooting all over the place and was rubbing the skin off my joint where the thumb joins the hand.

After I finished with the Hydra-Shoks I started to use range ammo. I had a 94 rounds of WWB (Winchester White Box 115 gr. from Walmart) and an older box of UMC 115 gr. I loaded the first mag with the WWB and then threw 6 round of UMC in with the remaining 85 WWB and never looked after that to see what I was loading. On the 48th round total including the Hydra-Shoks I had a failure to eject. When I got the casing out it appears that there may have been a burr on the rim and it was exactly in line with the extractor and caused it not to go over the rim. No further problems through round 91. My wife fired rounds 92-101 and round 93 was a failure to feed. I expect this was limp wristing by my wife. She has never fired anything with the recoil this pistol has. I fired the last 9 rounds with not problems.

110 rounds fired - 1 failure to eject - 1 failure to feed. Failure to eject possibly an ammo problem. Failure to feed possibly a user problem.

What lessons did I learn? 1) My wife is not only a better shot than me, she is a much better shot than me. I fired the first 37 rounds from the Skyy at bullseye targets. Then I set up a USPSA/IPSC target for my wife to fire her Bersa Thunder .380. She immediately puts 7 rounds of WWB in the COM. So since she has never fired her pistol (formerly my pistol) with defensive ammo I gave her a mag with 7 rounds of 90gr. Federal Hydra-Shoks. I told her that they might shoot a little differently from the others and she put 7 rounds even closer together in COM. There are 14 holes surrounding the letter A. I will post a picture later. In one plade there are four holes that look like three unless you look closele. 2) I can shoot revolvers fairly well, I can shoot my S&W 439 pretty well, and I can shoot my Bulgarian Makarov .380 very well, but I cannot shoot pistols with double stack mags worth a flip. I have been practicing with my Taurus .40 and I am consistently inconsistent with it. Most rounds tend to be low. I tried to blame it on the pistol, but last Sunday my wife put 10 in the black on a bullseye target. This was the first time she had fired the Taurus and the first time she had fired a DAO semiautomatic. So much for the pistol being the problem. We come to the Skyy and as I said earlier I was all over the place. I shot better than I did with the Taurus, but nothing to write home about. The 9 rounds my wife shot were of course COM. In looking at the design of double stack mag pistols I find the shape of the grip to be to squared for me to grip well. This almost rectangular shape with rounded corners does not work for me. I like the longer, narrower, more rounded shape of the grip on a 1911 or my S&W 439.

So the third thing I learned is that I am going to replace the Taurus. Though I live in a small town with no gun dealer, there is a gun show practically every weekend within a hundred miles of here. So next Saturday I'll go to the gun show in Birmingham and see what kind of trade I can work up. I am going to keep the Skyy for a while longer and see if I can learn to handle the double stack. I'll let you know what happens.
    Attached Images
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Nice report, Dr! Glad to see that the FTE's and FTF's were (almost) non-existent, and it sounds like it shot well. My wife is like yours - she shoots real well.

You might look at the Skyy site too - there's a thread on the skin rubbing too. Neither my wife or I have that problem, but our neighbor does when he shoots our Skyy's.

Keep us posted on the Skyy, and your next range visit. We'll be to a range later this week, hopefully.

Shoot well.

Good write up you 2 Failures sound just like what ya call um a ammo and user problem course shoot it couple hundred more and see what happens

Assistant Administrator
    Thx for the info George - I hadn't heard about the skin abrasion problem before - that can be something to induce flinch for some I daresay. Not having held one yet - how do you find the sights? basic? Adequate? Good?

I am not surprised re that recoil - quite possibly it feels as ''fierce'' as my R9. Fairly typical small gun thing.

Sounds like your wife is one very cool shooter!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Thx for the info George - I hadn't heard about the skin abrasion problem before - that can be something to induce flinch for some I daresay. Not having held one yet - how do you find the sights? basic? Adequate? Good?

I am not surprised re that recoil - quite possibly it feels as ''fierce'' as my R9. Fairly typical small gun thing.

Sounds like your wife is one very cool shooter!
    Chris, obviously the sights were good for my wife. Really they were very easy to see and to focus on. The white dots were easily picked up quickly and they appear to be more accurate than me. I had actually wondered if the sights might be a problem for me. I am from the old school. I am used to a blade front site and a v for the rear site. I shoot very well with the Mak which has practically no sights at all. I used some white sight paint to make them a little more visible. The only pistols I have that have the three dot sights are the Taurus and the Skyy. I'm going to borrow a pistol that has a single stack mag and the three dot sights in the next week or so just to see if the sights are causing part of the problem. Either way I'll learn something. For most people I would think that the sights would be good. The rear sight is adjustable. I did not realize this until I was reading the manual. I guess I missed it on the web site.

My wife is a remarkable woman. She is a concert grade pianist and so she has very good hands. Her eyesight is not perfect, but she has years of experience quickly picking up very small dots on printed music so I think that helps her shooting. I am going to send the target she shot today to the instructor for our NRA pistol course. I told him about the 10 in the black last week, but he is going to have to see this one in person. We took the course 29 days ago. Prior to that time the wife had probably fired 20 or 25 rounds in her life. She fired two on Christmas day in 1992 when she gave me my S&W. Her sister's husband took us to a place were he shot out in the country and she fired twice at a target and hit just about where she said she was shooting for both times. From then until late last year she had not fired again. When I began to be more concerned about her safety we began to go in a direction for both of us to carry. She probably fired 15 or 20 rounds prior to the pistol course. She shot her S&W 638 for the range part in the morning and had much difficulty pulling the trigger. I was planning to buy a new Bersa Thunder .380 from the instructor after the class. He told her that he was concerned about how difficult it was for her to shoot and I suggested that we go ahead with the Bersa purchase and let her use if for the afternoon range work. She did and I never got my Bersa back. Up until last week I though that she was a very good shooter but that it was only with the Bersa. Boy was I in for a rude awakening. She had shot pretty well with the 638, but the trigger pull had evidently prevented her from shooting up to her potential.

After I emailed the instructor last week about her shooting he responded that "we" ought to join the gun club he is in and shoot in their monthly pistol matches because they were always looking for good female shooters. After the shooting this week they may want to offer her a free membership.

I'll keep you all posted on how the pistol works out and thanks Rock and Glock for the heads up about the thread on the Skyy site. I'll check it when I get home from work tonight. Weapons sites are blocked on our college network. I don't know how CombatCarry gets past the filter.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Assistant Administrator
    My wife too George has transitioned from a snub. I had thought she was Ok with my venerable old M85 but last year when we went for some practice she really was having a less than stellar time with it. Poor shot placement mostly. Mind you, the gun she shoots best is a 4" M66, but that is too big for her carry.

That clinched it and so my Bersa was brought to her attention. That ''my Bersa'' should read now ''her Bersa'' LOL! It is almost ideal and while I would like for her to get into 9mm or better - it is way better for her for time being - she shoots it very well and that matters.

My step daughter now has her own Bersa too since I got her one for her 21st - she has some practice to go yet and a Basic Pistol course too - but will hopefully get and be ready for her CCW not too far away now.

Your wife has seemingly that totally natural ability - something I have come across before with lady shooters. When they are good - they are GOOD!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    More recoil than a PT 140? Wow, I didn't like the recoil of the PT. Thanks for the range report. I have found I can shoot better with my 1911 4" than my HK USP full size.
    I am considering a Skyy 9mm although I don't really need another caliber to have to buy.

Its amazing how some find the recoil to be fierce in the Skyy. I dont mind it at all. I was actually expecting more. I did have the rubbing of the thumb after 100 rounds tho. As soon as I get over this bummed ankle thing Ill be out at the range again. And Ill compare it to my cz-75 pcr. And some of them are ammo finiky but doesent seem to be so far. And it very well could be limp wristing. I usally have a pretty good grip. Hope your other range trips go good when it gets broke in more. Have a great day Sixgun.

Links