Kimber SIS Custom - 56k Beware! Pic Heavy

This is a discussion on Kimber SIS Custom - 56k Beware! Pic Heavy within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, I finally picked up my second Kimber so I am no longer a "Kimber Owner" but am now a "Kimber Enthusiast"! After lusting for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kimber SIS Custom - 56k Beware! Pic Heavy

Kimber SIS Custom - 56k Beware! Pic Heavy

Well, I finally picked up my second Kimber so I am no longer a "Kimber Owner" but am now a "Kimber Enthusiast"! After lusting for the SIS since it was first introduced, I finally got one! I won an SIS Custom off of Gunbroker last week and it arrived at my FFL Saturday. Price wasn't too bad considering I've been calling all over Missouri for the Custom sized one and nobody has it. Definitely not the prices of last year or really even close but nothing is anymore with firearms and at least this one came with two extra Kimpro Tac-Mags.

One of the first things I noticed was the execution of the serial number on the FS models. It's now done like the Pro models and looks very nice. The serial number itself appears to be stamped now as opposed to the "engraved" dremeled look. This is a welcome touch in my opinion.

The beavertail and mainspring housing are fitted extremely well.

The beveling on the frame in the grip area is also executed perfectly. Both sides are uniform with no signs of "waviness".

One thing I've always liked about Kimber is the 30 lpi checkering on frontstrap. I think this is ideal as it gives you a good grip yet doesn't eat at your hands after 200 rounds. The other thing is you don't experience any overrun with Kimber's checkering and it looks crisp as opposed to other manufacturers. I especially like the looks of the bordered base. Between the checkering and the stippled grips (which looks GREAT), the pistol really locks in your hand.

The slide to frame fit is superb with no play whatsover and the barrel to bushing fit is EXTREMELY tight. As to be expected, everything locks up tight. One thing that I appreciate is how Kimber rounds the corners of the frame rails to help reduce any binding from the slide. I'm not a gunsmith and this may not matter but to me it makes sense. The FPS is very snug and there is no clocking of the extractor at all. I also really dig the flat top slide and may eventually get it grooved.

Now for the nitty gritty. After thoroughly cleaning it and lubing with FP-10, it was time to head to the range today. I put roughly 175 rounds through it today which included 50 rds/Blazer Brass, 50 rds/Remington Green Box, 50 rds/WWB and 25 rds/HST+p. The gun performed FLAWLESSLY! There was never even a remote indication of issues. All brass ejected properly with none coming back at me or leaving marks on the slide. None of the cases were dented or damaged in any way and landed in a neat pile back off to my side. It's hitting POA/POI when I do my part and as with Kimber, accuracy is never an issue. Kimber is known for their triggers as well and this one is no different and it breaks around 5lbs plus I really dig the solid trigger.

The one thing I was curious about was how the finish would wear on the small parts and how the Kimpro would hold up. I am very surprised at how well it did. From comments on here, the finish starts wearing when you look at it online much less putting it through it's paces. After cleaning it today, it looks just as good as when I picked it up. No markings on the thumbsafety, grip safety or by the dustcover. I know it won't last but I was expecting to see some slight wear from today's use but was pleasantly surprised. We'll see how well it does when I start carrying it as it will be interesting to see how well it does. There were also no issues with manipulating the slide while at the range shooting. Not only was it hot with sweat being an issue, I was definitely shooting it wet as well and never experienced any slippage.

As you can tell, I'm definitely not suffering "Buyer's Remorse". In my opinion, the SIS is as unique as are the Raptor's in Kimber's lineup and either you love them or hate them. The quality and craftsmanship is definitely there as you can see from the pictures and it looks as if Kimber is really on top of their game. Now if I could only find some more ammo!

Here's my Gold Combat Stainless II with my SIS:

And my motivational poster:

2. Remove Ads

Congrats on pciking up a beautiful piece of machinery.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

That is a very nice 1911.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Thanks for the compliments...much appreciated!

Very nice pistola, for sure...and I own a couple of Kimbers.
    Ya' got a winner there...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    That's one sweet Kimber!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

VIP Member
    Good for You. She's a Beauty.

Beautiful pistol and good job with the pics!
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

OMG...that rocks
    2A is not negotiable

Congrat on a great purchase. I love Kimbers too. I currently only have one, though. But hope to change that someday. One can never have too many guns or motorcycles.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

VIP Member
    Great pics! Decent gun too I guess
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Nice firearm! Since SIS operatives are often UC, isn't the distinctive serration a bad thing? Couldn't it blow their cover?

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    wow and wow again.........very cool
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Quote Originally Posted by JDE101 View Post
    Congrat on a great purchase. I love Kimbers too. I currently only have one, though. But hope to change that someday. One can never have too many guns or motorcycles.
    It took me three years to get my second. Too many guns in between though so I can't really complain. It's definitely a sickness and although it's good to be ill, the pocketbook doesn't care for the medical bills LOL!

Nice firearm! Since SIS operatives are often UC, isn't the distinctive serration a bad thing? Couldn't it blow their cover?
    My guess would be if you are seeing the serrations, you're already in trouble !

Thanks again for all the compliments!

Beautiful 45 !! Good Luck with it. When you get a chance do some reading on the LAPD SIS......amazing bunch of cops who deserve a quality 1911 like your Kimber.
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links