Best way to remove ILS on S&W 340?

This is a discussion on Best way to remove ILS on S&W 340? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think I'll have the little locking stud ground off so I don't have a hole in the side of my gun,but the lock is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best way to remove ILS on S&W 340?

Best way to remove ILS on S&W 340?

I think I'll have the little locking stud ground off so I don't have a hole in the side of my gun,but the lock is disabled anyone here disable their gun's lock like this? Or when you guys say remove the lock do you mean to just take all the lock parts out of the gun?

If I go the grinding off the stud route then does this eliminate any potential issues with the lock? Could the remaining lock parts cause an issue? I saw a video on youtube where it looked like the guy removed the lock spring and lock flag,but let the key hole in the frame,is this how lock removals are done on these guns? I've read the key lock itself in pressed into the frame and its not a good idea to force it out.

I'd prefer not have a hole in the side of my gun for things to get into but want the lock out. This is going to be a carry gun that may save my life and I'd rather not take the chance all things considered,so whats my best option here guys?

2. Remove Ads

I would also like to know.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

I would not mess with the lock, as to the hole..."FO GET ABOUD IT!".

(There's already a hole in the end of the barrel, and dirt doesn't hurt that.)

In a short time you won't even notice the lock. You may cause problems by messing around with it.
    I've never tried, used, or even noticed the lock on my S&W 637.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar

retsupt99 it supposedly was the lightweight magnums like the 340 that had the lock issues the most,this is why I was wanting to remove/disable it.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Siafu View Post
    Outstanding video with clear and easy instructions. Though I will not likely remove or otherwise disable the interlock in my own revolvers, I will reference this video for general disassembly procedures.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    I used this video, and it walked me through the lock removal procedure with ease. It also gave the chance to spiff up all the parts while I had them out.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

Wish I had seen this thread earlier. Check out my post in the other 340 thread by the OP regarding issues with disabling the lock.

Yes, it needs to be done. But there is really only one good way, and that is grinding off the nub of the flag.

If you simply remove the flag, you might experience some day what I did.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I've never tried, used, or even noticed the lock on my S&W 637.
    And hopefully, it will never self-engage on you at a really bad time.

I would caution anyone against removing any safety device on a defensive firearm.

Yes, I have a gun with an "altered" safety. It's my Coach Gun for Cowboy Action Shooting. The other "altered" one had the safety changed from right handed operation to left handed operation, as I shoot it as a lefty. Other than that I would urge you to leave the dang thing alone.

If you want a Revolver without the "Hillary Hole" get an older S&W or get a Ruger. That's my $0.02 on the matter. I hope you never have to find out if my theories on safety device removal is right.

Biker

I have not had a problem with the internal lock doing anything with around 1,000 rounds through my 340 (mostly .357, maybe 35% .38 special.)

I also have not heard anything but second hand "This guy told me..." about guns "self locking"

Not that I discount the self locking thing, but at this point I dont see a real need to disengage it - but it would be nice to know how if for whatever reason the need came up.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Do yourself a favor, and check out the several "stickies" regarding this issue on the S&W Forum (the forum, not the company web site).

There are numerous examples of the lock self-engaging under recoil.

I've had a "Hillary Hole" Lock engage on me in a S&W N-Frame.

Needless to say, I am not a fan of new S&W revolvers. With that said, I won't remove any safety device from a defensive firearm. It's sad really, because I do like S&W products.

They have designed themselves out of my market.

Biker

I hear you, but there are mitigating circumstances. You wouldn't remove the mag disconnect on a Browning P-35 (or third generation S&W); even though it drasitically improves the trigger and is of dubious purpose in the first place?

For my part, I normally would have returned that revolver instantly upon seeing the lock. But I needed it for a special purpose, and due to a complicated series of events/regulatory fiats at the job I was working, the situation dictated that the piece HAD to be of .357 caliber. And S&W never produced any of the .357 AirLites without the lock. I searched high and low, and paid a premium for when I finally found one, a no-lock 342, which replaced the 360PD when said regulations were changed to allow .38 Special as a primary.

Anyway... I'm a bit disturbed about all these folks who apparently choose to ignore the fact that these locks are DANGEROUS and can get them hurt or killed. I imagine you are like me; you'll pay for the priviledge of having pre-lock guns.

I'm retired now, and can carry what I damn well please to... and like you, I won't buy any "new" S&W products; period.

IMO the people buying these IL revolvers, for the most part, are newbs who don't know any better. Some don't know what an IL is, and in the majority of those cases, are not even told that it's in the revolver they purchase.

I've seen first time posts on the gunboards, where the OP is lamenting the fact that their new revolver has the IL, after they have already purchased it !!?!

I have no use for such revolvers. Buy what you wish, stake your life on what you will. BUT for ME, it shows an astounding lack of experience and common sense, to use one of those IL revolvers as a carry gun. No LEO I work with does so. YMMV. Regards 18DAI.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links