Got 340M&P today,range report and some?'s

This is a discussion on Got 340M&P today,range report and some?'s within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well I got my 340M&P today and took her to the range I have to say leading up to this I was expecting something completely ...

Thread: Got 340M&P today,range report and some?'s

Well I got my 340M&P today and took her to the range I have to say leading up to this I was expecting something completely different then what I found. First this gun is very well built,tight lock up,great fit/finish and the trigger on (mine anyways) is smoooth it kinda reminds me of the trigger on my vintage K-frame model 15. The sight system on this thing is really cool as well,I love the XS big dot night sight up front and the gutter trench rear sight.

I must say I was really expecting this thing to hurt when I shot it. After reading all the internet horror stories about this gun's recoil and how painful it was to shoot .357's in. I was a bit surprised pleasantly I have to say but how well this gun shoots and its accurate for a snub nose revolver as well. The bullets when where I aimed it grouped nicely as well. I think the pachmayr grips on it helped a lot with felt recoil and for me,with the cargo shorts I wear they don't inhibit pocket carry/draw either.

Now on to my questions on ammo for this baby,The blazer was aluminum cased stuff and had some crimp jumping issues,it was the only .357 ammo the range had so I had no other to compare it to.

My questions are for those who have tested different .357 load in this gun which ones DON'T unseat themselves? I though this was problem only confined to PD models due to their titanium cylinders?

I have federal hydra shock 158gr,Remington 125gr golden sabers and Winchester white box 110gr personal protection ammo to try in it tomorrow. Of the ammo mention has anyone here with a 340M&P tested any? If so was there any crimp jump issues with any of the above mentioned ammo? Are Winchester silvertips any good for this gun? My price for this gun OTD was $650 is this a good price on one of these?

The guy at range thought said the Blazer ammo probably did this because its aluminum cased and not exactly the best jhp ammo there is. What do you guys think?

I don't have the answer to your questions but I do have a comment on the gun - VERY NICE !
    Change We Can Believe In 01.20.13 Gun Control is Being Able to Hit Your Target.

Try the Doubletap .357 mag ammo...
    G21SF, G30, G36, Ruger SP101 DAO, S&W 642

Quote Originally Posted by 1911luver View Post
    Not sure about Scandium frames, but are you missing a pin behind the thumb latch?
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by semperfi.45 View Post
    Not sure about Scandium frames, but are you missing a pin behind the thumb latch?
    I noticed that also.

Everyone here has there opinions about which loads to use, personally I load my K-frame with RBCD 50 gr Total Fragmenting Soft Points for my cylinder full (home defense gun), this ammo doesn't over penetrate. I have two back up speedlaoders with federal 125gr personal defense JHSP. Here's a link to an article I found very informative, hope it helps. Ammunition For The Self-Defense FirearmBTW nice gun, I really want to trade my 342 Ti airlite .38spcl for one of those.

Yes the small hole behind the thumb latch was where the locking flag sat.

I watched this and now I get it.

How are those XS sights at distance?
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Semperfi they're really nice the way they line up with the rear grove notch as well. I had no problem controlling 158 .357's and getting good COM hits.

Please pay close attention... Grind the nub off the flag, and PUT IT BACK IN.

I got a 360PD back in 2002. I had been out of the gun loop for a while and knew nothing of the lock drama. When I took delivery of the gun and saw that abortion, I was incensed. A quick examination convinced me the thing could very easily lock the revolver up if the little spring powering it failed (and this has happened numerous times on many variations of the AirLite revolvers, despite S&W's claims to the contrary). I've been a S&W armorer since 1987. I saw that simply removing the flag would cure the potential problem. It did; and created another one.

I shot the gun a lot. Not many .357s, but well over 5000 .38s of various power levels. It was carried all day, every day.

Last year, I was doing my monthly inspection ritual, and during dry fire the revolver locked up. The remaining mechanism had worked loose, fell out of the hole in the frame and jammed the hammer.

I had thrown away the flag, so now what to do? I tried plugging the hole with JBWeld, but it didn't take much snap to realize that wasn't going to hold under extended firing. Just the other day, I knocked that JBWeld plug out and now have a nice large hole in my frame.

I have plenty of other J frames, so I basically retired the 360PD when this happened. I'm not sure yet what, if anything, I'm going to do. But the bottom line here is that the revolver is out of service, period, until I DO do something.

There have been numerous methods of disabling this communist lock, but by far the smartest method I've seen is to simply grind the nub off the flag (the part that engages the slot in the hammer and locks same when the lock is activated via the key) and put it back into place. The flag will keep all the parts in place, and even if it does self-engage the hammer won't be locked and the gun will still shoot.

If I had waited until my outrage subsided before attacking this thing, I probably would have seen that. I was VERY fortunate that I caught the issue before I needed the gun.

Anyway... your gun, do what pleases you. But be aware that what you have done has potentially disastrous consequences. And the "fix" is easy.

Administrator
    "My questions are for those who have tested different .357 load in this gun which ones DON'T unseat themselves?"

Speer Gold Dot is great.

LSP972 I did as you advised and put the flag back in after grinding off the locking nub. Should I be good to go now?

The Speer Gold Dot and the Federal Hydra Shok are good rounds. As mentioned earlier, there are many opinions, but these are what I carry.

Armydad

LSP972 I did as you advised and put the flag back in after grinding off the locking nub. Should I be good to go now?
    Yes. You might notice a bit of drag in the trigger stroke, from the flag rubbing against the hammer, but this will smooth up.

The big thing is, now you won't worry about that lock cylinder becoming dislodged. Trust me, if it does, it locks the gun up just effectively as if the lock was functional and engaged. Scared the hell out of me.

I have fired hundreds and hundreds of .357 Mag through my 340 - the only rounds that have ever had crimping issues were the 158 gr blazer aluminum casings. I fire speer GD 125 grain regularly and federal 125 grain hollow point regularly. no problems with either.

I also dont buy into the 135 grain "short barrel" loads... nothing more than .38+P in my opinion - and if you are some one like me who can shoot .357 mag outa that thing with no problem, then no need to shoot anything else.

Love mine, it is my daily carry weapon and my duty back up gun.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Quote Originally Posted by usmc3169 View Post
    I also dont buy into the 135 grain "short barrel" loads... nothing more than .38+P in my opinion
    Uh... they ARE .38 Special +P...

Links