Lefty looking

Lefty looking

This is a discussion on Lefty looking within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First let me say, new here, and love it, what a great forum, My problem is being left handed, i am looking for a gun ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lefty looking

Lefty looking

First let me say, new here, and love it, what a great forum,

My problem is being left handed, i am looking for a gun that is ambidextrous, I know that the S&W mp compact 40 is, and have actually have seen and held this one, I havent really seen any others that are. what are some more options.

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    CZ 85. Just like the 75's, but will accommodate you south paws. Not sure of others.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Plenty of guns are effectively if not literally ambidextrous. Glocks, Springfields and many others that don't have a manual safety can be used with either hand. I'm a lefty also, so do look for usability.

You can get a lefty revolver, but I've found it's not worth it, and hits the resale price.

1911-style guns just need a left-handed or ambidextrous safety. You can't get around the guns throwing the brass across your field of view, but that's a conspiracy by the gun designers to get back at lefties because we are smarter and better looking. :)

Holsters can be more of a challenge, but not a big one, since most holster makers make left-handed versions of the best models. Sometimes you just have to look harder or go to a second choice.

Favorites: "If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a soldier."
    Admiral Gary Roughead, CNO: "I never, ever, want to see my sailors or Marines in a fair fight."

Administrator
    Check out the offerings by H&K.

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Fivenseven by FN, its ambi. It also if I remember right ejects straight up.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

My Kimber CDP's are ambi's......my Glocks do not create problems for either hand, either.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Springfield XD line up is ambi. Except for the slide release, but you might be able to use your index finger.. not sure... My buddy is a lefty and he's got an XD40.. it use to be mine but I've got an XD9 which works exactly the same. Good luck!
    Protection is a responsibility not just a right.

I believe that the Ruger P series are ambi in regards to the mag release and safety.
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." Benjamin Franklin

Steps in the stripping of State's Rights/Sovereignty
    1. War of Northern Agression 2. Coersion to ratify the 14th Amendment 3. Ratified 17th Amendment

VIP Member
    I agree with other comments whereby there are many offerings' that will accommodate "southpaws". In my view, H&K does appear to do it better than some others. In any event, you should visit the local gun shop and hold and shoot (if available) as many as possible.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

H&K all day long
    2A is not negotiable

1911 with factory ambis...perfection in our southpaw challenged world.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    SIG pistols with DAK triggers work better for lefties than righties, as shipped. The left index finger works the safety button, an advantage, IMHO, and the slide lock lever is out of the way, regardless of where you want your left thumb to be when shooting. Righties just have to suffer with being handicapped, and that is not just a joke; it is reality. A DAK weapon requires no manual decocking, of course, being a form of "double-action only," also known as DAO.

I am using DAK SIGs as an example, because I use them myself, and have had good experience with the reliability of several SIGs, both DA/SA and DAK. Other pistols work in similar fashion.

Just to be clear, I am neither a full righty nor a full lefty. I am left-handed, but do carry my "primary" handgun on my right hip, for several reasons, the most relevant of which is that I tend to want to lead with my left side when fighting, and this keeps my holstered pistol safer from snatch attempts. (I wear a badge; I have to get close.) With my stronger and more skilled left hand in the support role, I can also do important things other than shooting while fighting for my life. (Pulling a trigger is easy stuff.) I will shoot left-handed by preference at longer range, or when certain situations favor, such as when looking around the left side of cover or concealment. I practice about an equal amount with both hands. I tell this personal stuff to illustrate why I like the guns I do, as I train with them as both a righty and lefty, usually carry two, one for each hand to access, and so may have less bias or favoritism, and more bilateral experience, than many who might respond.
    Last edited by Rexster; June 2nd, 2009 at 02:39 PM. Reason: clarity

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jjkjr View Post
    First let me say, new here, and love it, what a great forum,
    Oops; almost forgot! Welcome to the forum!

Lead Moderator
    I use HK and a Springfield Champ. However most guns work well for LH folks. I just use my trigger finger to operate the slide release and my middle finger to drop the mag.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I am lefty and both of my XDs work great. Once they have been put through the paces the slide release works great with the index finger.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links