Looking for my first carry gun, anything against Hi-Points?

This is a discussion on Looking for my first carry gun, anything against Hi-Points? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In my quest for my first carry gun I have done extensive reading on different calibers, handguns, loads, and different types of holsters. I am ...

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for my first carry gun, anything against Hi-Points?

Looking for my first carry gun, anything against Hi-Points?

In my quest for my first carry gun I have done extensive reading on different calibers, handguns, loads, and different types of holsters.

I am on a fairly tight budget, was looking for something under $300, and I still want some knock-down power.

I have been leaning toward a 9mm auto or a .45ACP. I have found a S&W SW9VE Sigma pistol with a few high cap mags for cheap, but having issues with the seller (it's across state lines).

My other alternatives that I have been looking into are the Hi-Point C-9 9mm and the Hi-Point .45ACP, both of which can be had for around $150 each and I have found Fobus holsters I like for them.

Is there anything else readily purchasable that anyone can recommend? Anything against Hi-Points for CCW as far as weight and bulkiness? (Please no hi-point reliability arguing)

I am 5'11 and 160lbs, but am obviously willing to adjust dress style to accomidate the holster in an attempt to not print.

thanks

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    If you want a 9mm, I would go with a keltek P-11, 10+1 capacity and much slimmer and more concealable. MSRP is 333.00, so you should be able to find one under 300. Also look at SCCY, or Bersa. Bersa has a 9mm and a .45. Both are in the 300 dollar range.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by TerriLi View Post
    If you want a 9mm, I would go with a keltek P-11, 10+1 capacity and much slimmer and more concealable. MSRP is 333.00, so you should be able to find one under 300. Also look at SCCY, or Bersa. Bersa has a 9mm and a .45. Both are in the 300 dollar range.
    Agreed,
    Buy used or go Kel Tek
    Its just a size thing, the Hi-Points are too bulky IMO
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

Quote Originally Posted by TerriLi View Post
    What he said above, and if you can't find any of those locally then try to work out the deal with the Sigma guy. Maybe save a little extra for the FFL transfer fee. The Sigma is worth it! It's my main carry gun and I can afford much pricier weapons but don't see the need.

As far as Hi Point, ....trying...to...resist....commenting....on....re liability....issues.....grrrr.... It's really too heavy to be a carry weapon and this is your life we're talking about here. If you're willing to trust it with your and your loved ones lives then that's your choice.
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Okay, let me state clearly, the highpoint is just to bulky, heavy, and pain in the back literally to conceal carry. It will dig into your back, hip, and anywhere else it can constantly. This coming from a 115 pound 5'11, person who conceal carries a Sig P220 daily since he got his CCW. It's akin to strapping a brick to you, those corners wont hurt for the first 10 minutes, but after that be ready to see blood.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I'm a former Hi Point owner, and have owned the C9 "compact" and .40 caliber handgun. The C9 really isn't compact as it's the same size as a full size Springfield XD. They are big for concealed carry and holster selection is rather limited from what I've found. I'll do my best to be unbiased on this one because Hi Points are surprisingly accurate and they do go bang. They also come with a lifetime warranty.

If I were you I would find some way to get 100-200 dollars more, whether it be having a garage sale or mowing lawns. If you really look around you might be able to find a used Glock for 400-450. However if a Hi-Point is all you can afford then by all means go for it, I consider them to be the high end of the Saturday Night Specials, and as good as you're going to get for an inexpensive handgun.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Hi-Points?

Kel-Tec PF-9
    Glock 19 in a Crossbreed supertuck EDC

Ruger LCP W/ CT "the go anywhere gun" EDC

"ALWAYS carry!NEVERtell!" Thumper

Get the Sigma. If you are unwilling to spend outside the $300 range for a CCW pistol, these guns will do nicely. Not my first choice, but not my last like the Hi-Point.

Finding a cheap glock? It's hard to find ammo let alone a decent handgun for cheap right now... KelTec I have looked into in 9mm, but can't find any. I have not looked into Bersa at all actually.

I have heard some extractor issues with the Sigma's, but being the one im looking at getting is the SW9VE (not the SW9V or the older F, G, etc models), it may not have problems. I really like the looks of it and it would come with a Wolf trigger spring. I would feel a lot more comfortable shooting some that felt "like a glock" (don't bash me for that, please) at a low price.

I just talked to my friend that has two Hi-Points, a 9mm and a .45, and he said the 9mm wouldn't be too bad to carry but the .45 is extremely heavy. He said If i could get the Sigma to do it. No promises on that, so i'm in a pinch. Finding handguns sucks, market is tapped and expensive.

VIP Member
    Much to heavy, and bulky IMO.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Personally, having owned two SCCY's, I would avoid them. Just my .02.

You more than likely will find yourself not carrying the Hi-Point.

Buy the Keltec and be glad you did.

I have had the Hi-Point 9mm. Gave one to my brother in law and sold the other.

I carry a Sigma 40VE, the Keltec and a Rossi 462 in rotation of sorts but mostly carry the 40VE. It goes bang.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Hi Points are also pretty ugly. And that's coming from a Glock owner.
    Glock 27

"Criminals are a cowardly and superstitious lot."

The KelTec's seem like a good deal and a great CCW gun (PF9).. Is there any place that sells these? I guess i'll start calling local FFL's, but online seems to be a lost search.

I would steer clear of Hi Point if at all possible. JMO
    2A is not negotiable

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Links