Range Report on PT 840

This is a discussion on Range Report on PT 840 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently purchased a new Taurus PT 840 for my primary CC weapon. I had been too busy with work to take it out and ...

Thread: Range Report on PT 840

Range Report on PT 840

I recently purchased a new Taurus PT 840 for my primary CC weapon. I had been too busy with work to take it out and do any real firing with it, until last Saturday, when I decide to use it to qualify for the state of Texas CHL Class.

First of all I'll start out with the dislikes, which there is only one of. I find the magazine release to be a little stiff; not to the point of being a show stopper, but just enough to have to think about it when dropping the magazine in a hurry. I hope and suspect it may loosen up a little with use down the road.

As for the feel of the weapon; in my hands it feels like it was made for me and feels very natural to grip; it did come with interchangeable back straps, which I haven't felt the need to mess with yet. I also found trigger pull to be very smooth and predictable; not to mention it seems to have a very short trigger reset, allowing you back on target very quickly.

I found this weapon to be VERY accurate; I haven't had to qualify for over three years, as I've been retired form the military that long now. I have just about always qualified expert marksman in the past, but under the circumstances, our instructors in the class advised us not to fire a perfect score to prevent any ambulance chasing lawyers using our skill against us in a court of law.

This being said, I was on my last magazine during qualification and realized that I had so far fired a perfect score. It felt funny, but I consciously put a round in the 4 point ring to avoid a perfect score. All I could do was smile and say "Hey, I just did what my instructor told me to do" as my instructor called me a smart ass when he scored my 249 points out of a possible 250 points.

Either way, I may have had a extraordinarily good day at the range, but I have to say this new PT 840 is a very accurate weapon. I know 50 rounds through it so far is not much of a test, but as I get more range time with it, I'll post up any issues if they should arise.
    John Luttrell

2. Remove Ads

Thanks for the report. I have been very seriously looking at the 840. Unfortunately, I can't find them around here, or least where I'm looking. I am interested in finding one to see about the mag release. I carry either a PT917 or a PX4 40. When using the 917, I have to turn my hand just a bit so that my thumb will hit the mag release. But all in all, an excellent weapon. I really enjoy shooting both of them, buy like most, there is always another new 'toy' around the corner and the new 840 sure seems to fit that bill.

Again, thanks for the report.
    Sometimes you find your destiny on the road you chose to avoid it.

Thumbs up

I have the Taurus PT840, and the mag release buttons do get easier to depress, after you use it a bit. Mine loosened right up and are perfect now.
    Great firearm.

Links